Millar SP-210LL Long Neck Soprano - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
That's the first uke that has grabbed my attention in quite a while - great sounding tone, & one of my favourite sizes. :love:

I just don't need another uke..... :music:

Despite how many I see it's rare one REALLY put a smile on my face. This one did!

I saw these on World of Ukes and was fairly confused about this new brand. This review really clarified that. These Far-Eastern brands (outside China) are starting to get really interesting and they all seem to be excellent quality, although Millar seems to be the most affordable of them by far.

Without a doubt. The value here is staggering. Nice to see the move towards new far eastern brands setting up smaller workshop / low volume type production whilst the mass market brands eat themselves alive on Amazon!

Without a doubt. The value here is staggering. Nice to see the move towards new far eastern brands setting up smaller workshop / low volume type production whilst the mass market brands eat themselves alive on Amazon!

Totally agreed. I wish there were more European brands like this.

Hello,

The smile on Bazmaz's face had something so special that I confidently decided to take the plunge... And I d'on't regret it !
This little beast is a staggering instrument, perfectly crafted and bears all the volume you may want...Last but not least, a nice interaction with the kind Matt at World of ukes.

Planetary pegs seems the me the most clever novelty since the invention of the wheel, but the instrument stays in tune so well that you're going to barely use them !
As a concert guy, I only regret an average sustain, due to the soprano body. And the slotted saddle may be tricky if you want to go low g without having to file the slot. But apart of these two minor points, very subjective, I can confirm that it's a top-class, versatile instrument, with a sound so well-balanced that you can spend hours of playing with an enduring pleasure.

just my 2 cents,
Gilles

Enjoy it Gilles - I thought it was a revelation!

Hi guys, I am new here, so hi to everyone.

After looking at Matt's presentation a thousand times (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrCXPgUZQcY&t), I could not resist and just bought the mango version of this Millar long neck soprano, this particular model : https://worldofukes.co.uk/soprano-ukuleles/millar-mg-210l-all-solid-mango-long-neck-soprano-ukulele .

Thanks for bringing this model to my attention Baz, I was shopping for a tenor, but could not resist this marvellous flamed mango wood, and the sound seem to be really really good, so peppy yet really deep and complex with the gorgeous overtones of mango.

According to Matt, it is not a model they have listed in their catalogue, only a few were made due to the really limited supply of mango wood they had.

I am sure that it will come to perfectly complement my Kiwaya KTC2 and its traditional sound.

I can guess that the geared pegs will not by your cup of tea Baz, but I should still be able to upgrade to Gotoh planetary at some point ! I am based in France so I am still waiting for the delivery but I will keep you up-to-date guys.

Congrats!

I genuinely think that Millar are one of the most exciting 'new' brands to come to my attention in 2020!

I hope you get a chance to review the Phillip Doleman model someday.

Thanks Baz for the review. On Reverb the price is really reasonable with a high shipping cost from HongKong......but total cost lot lower than the retail price in the UK pounds adjusted for dollars.
I wasn't going to add another uke to the collection any time soon, I find it a challenge to keep the 4 that I do have in a playing rotation, adding a new one would complicate things......but I have been thinking about a "lower cost" but quality longneck soprano. This Millar might just fit the bill.....:cool:

OOOPS---looks like the Reverb posting is for a sold instrument.....oh well......I'll still keep my options open.....

The Millar uses that I have heard sound great. The fit and finish seems to be top notch

I really like the look of these, and they got glowing reviews in Uke magazine #23

I really like the look of these, and they got glowing reviews in Uke magazine #23

I think they are one of the most exciting new brands to come along lately. That Phil Doleman has put his name to a signature model also tells me they are quality. Phil wouldn’t associate with rubbish.

Top Bottom