Reaction score
i want to play this riff on ukulele:
E ||---------------------------------|
B ||---------------------------------|
G ||------------------------------0--|
D ||------2-------0-------2----------|
A ||----(2)-2---2---2---2---2---2----|
E ||--0-------3-------0-------3------|

do i transfer all the numbers/placements (i can read tabs) into notes and make a new tab in ukulele-language for myself to go by?

if not, or if so, i tried anyway but remembered i don't know what i'm doing at all (no education in music theory/music at all).

E open B G B G B D open B E open B G B D B G open

i feel so far outta my comfort area, musically.

i want to play this riff on ukulele:
E ||---------------------------------|
B ||---------------------------------|
G ||------------------------------0--|
D ||------2-------0-------2----------|
A ||----(2)-2---2---2---2---2---2----|
E ||--0-------3-------0-------3------|

do i transfer all the numbers/placements (i can read tabs) into notes and make a new tab in ukulele-language for myself to go by?

if not, or if so, i tried anyway but remembered i don't know what i'm doing at all (no education in music theory/music at all).

E open B G B G B D open B E open B G B D B G open

i feel so far outta my comfort area, musically.
If you are translating Guitar tab into ukulele tab, just remember that your ukulele nut (0) is at the 5th fret of a guitar (5) on the DGBE strings. Obviously, since your numbers are all less than 5 this will not work. Also, your notes are all below the range of the ukulele, so you will have to shift up an octave if you want it to be in the same key as guitar.

So to answer your question, yes, translating the guitar tab into notes and then using an ukulele fretboard map to map out the ukulele tab is probably your best option in this case.

If you are not concerned about the key, then I would transpose the notes so that the lowest note in your TAB (open E on Guitar) becomes the lowest note on your ukulele (either open G if you have Low G or Open C if you have High G). This will likely give you the sound you are looking for.

Good luck!

Guitar:
tq_note_names_neck.gif

Ukulele:
large+ukulele+fretboard+from+UU+member+Dane.jpg

I think it would be something like this:

||----(2)---2-----------2---2---3-------|
||------------3---------------3---3-----|
||--4-----4-----4--2--4---4------------|
||--------------------------------------|

I'm not super sure on that. Maybe someone more experienced could assist since I have very little knowledge of the guitar.

Edit: I think mine is up a few octaves.

What would the other open notes correspond to on ukulele?

p.s. juan n. that does sound like it. i'm still playing with it too.

If you want the same notes, and same relationship between the notes, then play this:

Code:
A|---(2)7-2---2-5-2---2-7-2---2-10-
E|----------3---------------3------
C|--4---------------4--------------
G|---------------------------------

This is for high-G tuning.

Last edited:
Now, if you want to play the same riff, using the lowest notes available on a High-G ukulele, you would play this:
Code:
A|------3-------1-------3-------6--
E|---(3)--3---3---3---3---3---3----
C|--0-------4-------0-------4------
G|---------------------------------

But this will be in a different key. How is your ukulele strung, high G or Low G?

Thanks for tabbing that out x2! I don't know if it's high or low, I have a tuner and I just crank it to match 'G'....

Thanks for tabbing that out x2! I don't know if it's high or low, I have a tuner and I just crank it to match 'G'....

Low G will have a lower sound than your open C string. High G (or re-entrant) will have a higher sound than your C string. Most ukes are sold with High G.

Top Bottom