Birthday - Barron River Sugar Box/Yellow Cedar Tenor - Final Build Photos

hollisdwyer

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Received the final build photos from Allen McFarlan today. It definitely exceeds my expectations. Actually no it didn't as I totally expected Allen to craft another masterpiece for me and he didn't let me down. Soon to be carried to my anxious hands by express kangaroo from the other side of the continent.

Here is Allen's blurb that he posted on Facebook today:
Some of the most extraordinary Curly Australian Satin Box paired with Curly Australian Blackwood, Ringed Gidgee and Cedar. Rubner tuners, a MISI Air pickup system and finished in high gloss polyurethane. The fret board has a 40mm nut width at the clients request, and strung with Saverez and flat wound Tomastik-Infeld strings.

BR Blond 1.jpg
BR Blond 2.jpg
BR Blond 4.jpg
BR Blond 5.jpg

Last edited:
That's stunning Hollis. Would love to hear a sound sample when you have the time.

It's beautiful!

Wow! Hollis, that is a stunner. I love how the blue inlay on the headstock ties together with the blue in the rosette. Really great design on the whole ukulele. The Rubner tuners look great. The body and the soundboard work really well together and the binding working with the bridge is perfect. Not to mention how the rosette touches pull everything together. Just terrific. Understated elegance. It is a perfectly executed incarnation of your concept of a light-colored wood instrument. (I can't bring myself to call it a "uke".) You are one lucky hombre. Congratulations. That is an heirloom quality masterpiece.

And kudos to Allen McFarlan of Baron River. What a magnificent build.

Last edited:
Gosh, it has turned out even better than I had envisioned while following the build. Can’t wait to hear it.
A huge congratulations Hollis.:cheers:

You are right Hollis, Allan does work that is always of the highest standard and you can expect nothing but excellence from him. I really love everything about it, the woods, colours, grains, shape and contours......all beautiful. Congratulations. You realize this is not helping me to resist getting a Barron River.

It's beautiful!
Thanks Susie.

Wow! Hollis, that is a stunner. I love how the blue inlay on the headstock ties together with the blue in the rosette. Really great design on the whole ukulele. The Rubner tuners look great. The body and the soundboard work really well together and the binding working with the bridge is perfect. Not to mention how the rosette touches pull everything together. Just terrific. Understated elegance. It is a perfectly executed incarnation of your concept of a light-colored wood instrument. (I can't bring myself to call it a "uke".) You are one lucky hombre. Congratulations. That is an heirloom quality masterpiece.

And kudos to Allen McFarlan of Baron River. What a magnificent build.
Definitely all kudos should go to Allen who so beautifully interpreted my vague request for a “light coloured instrument that would conform to CITIES regulations so I could travel internationally without any hassles”.

Gosh, it has turned out even better than I had envisioned while following the build. Can’t wait to hear it.
A huge congratulations Hollis.:cheers:
Thanks Steve. I first told Allen the same thing then changed my mind and said that I actually expected that level of excellent craftsmanship but just didn’t know what it would actually look like.

Man, those Barron Rivers are such handsome ukes—ritzy rather than glitzy. With such striking woods, you don't need much else.
Love that “ritzy rather than glitzy”.

You are right Hollis, Allan does work that is always of the highest standard and you can expect nothing but excellence from him. I really love everything about it, the woods, colours, grains, shape and contours......all beautiful. Congratulations. You realize this is not helping me to resist getting a Barron River.
Thanks Dave. This is actually my first ‘blonde’instrument ever. Allen did an excellent job of combining the various elements that he recommended. I sourced the simplest Rubner tuners ( a brushed brass) as he didn’t have any Rubners in stock for solid headstocks at the time,only for slotted) and I also sent my current Frankenstein string set combo (from yours and others recent recommendations). As to resisting a Barron River, forget it, resistance is useless.

Congratulations. I am always in awe of the design of the Barron River instruments. His designs are lovely with great attention to detail.

Very beautiful instrument, Hollis. Enjoy it brother and congratulations.

When I win the lotto and actually play well enough to earn such a beauty.
It's stunning!

Congratulations Hollis, she’s a beauty!

Congratulations. I am always in awe of the design of the Barron River instruments. His designs are lovely with great attention to detail.

Very beautiful instrument, Hollis. Enjoy it brother and congratulations.

When I win the lotto and actually play well enough to earn such a beauty.
It's stunning!

Congratulations Hollis, she’s a beauty!

Thanks people! I very curious as to how this instrument will sound. I know the tone and playability will be great going on those factors with my Barron River 8 string. But I have never owned a Maple bodied instrument nor one with a Cedar soundboard (especially an Alaskan Yellow Cedar one).

This wonderfully crafted instrument arrived today. As I’m really busy packing up to move house, I only played for an hour or so. Very pleased with the result. It was interesting to discover that the BR 8 string and this new Tenor have an amazingly similar feel under the fingers. It plays like butter, intonation is spot on past the 12th fret and a wonderful unique tone. As I’ve said before it’s my first maple and cedar instrument of any type so warmer than my Spruce and Ebony or Cocobolo Hoffman builds but brighter that my BH, Collings and BR 8 string. At least that’s my first impression. She’ll have her public debut this Saturday on World Singing Day During my regular gig at the local farmers market.

Wow, congratulations! your pics made me slobber on myself!
OMG those Barron River ukes don't look like any other uke.
Enjoy it, you deserve it!

Congrats, Hollis! Good luck with the move and hopefully you'll soon have plenty of time with your new spectacular uke!

Aloha Hollis, YOWza ... YOWZA ... WWWOOOOOOWWWWZZZZZAAAAAA!!!!:drool:

That is ONE HECK of a STUNNING BEAUTY!!!:worship:

CONGRATS on your new Barron River Blonde Tenor!!!:shaka:

Wow, congratulations! your pics made me slobber on myself!
OMG those Barron River ukes don't look like any other uke.
Enjoy it, you deserve it!

Congrats, Hollis! Good luck with the move and hopefully you'll soon have plenty of time with your new spectacular uke!

Thanks everyone. Yes, all Barron River Ukes are gorgeous but this one looks so strange to me. It a shock to my eyes to hold and play such a light coloured instrument. Allen sure picked out a good wood set though. I’ve stared at it as much as played it.
One thing I didn’t mention was how comfortable it is for me to play with its 40mm nut width. My fingers feel very relaxed when playing. All future commissions will have a 40mm nut for sure.

Top Bottom