Horizontal ukulele stand?

derbyhat

Reaction score
Does anyone have a link to where I might find a uke stand that I can use to lay the instrument horizontally?

I’m basically looking for something like this, but not as a wall mount. And a touch more minimal. https://www.etsy.com/listing/645660180

Never saw anything like that, but wouldn't be hard to make. Not saying I'm making one, just wouldn't be too hard.

I think it'd be helpful to know what your purpose is for it. Is it for display or are you looking for something to hold an ukulele in playing position as you play live? I'm thinking along the lines of an electric guitar player who plays acoustic at the first of a song then switches to electric. They use a stand for the acoustic...or vice versa...Sweetwater.com and Musician's Friend have those, but I'm not sure if they'd fit a uke or not. I know they are adjustable. Just search "Walk Up Guitar Stand". The price is ridiculous...but I guess some people pay it since it's so specialized.

If you mean for display only, I don't know of any. You might find a hobbyist woodworker (or professional if you don't mind paying more) and have something made to your specs.

Seems simple enough to buy a couple of wall hooks with plastic coating at the hardware store.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 13 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 37)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Does anyone have a link to where I might find a uke stand that I can use to lay the instrument horizontally?

I’m basically looking for something like this, but not as a wall mount. And a touch more minimal. https://www.etsy.com/listing/645660180

...and not a wall mounted holder? From a design perspective, I’m thinking any such a holder would have to either have a big footprint or it must be very bottom heavy, or anchored or bolted to the floor or to something else that’s big and heavy...like an amplifier..or maybe a heavy duty mic stand. Any other design that I can imagine seems likely to be unstable.

Last edited:
The concept reminds me of a gun rack. Mount your Outdoor uke in the back window of your pickup truck.

One hook/arm would have to be wide enough to fit the body, while the other a narrower hook on a longer arm to hold the neck. And I'd trhink you'd want something to keep it from falling if accidentally bumped.

Love the molded hands holding the uke rack. Very clever.

I think it'd be helpful to know what your purpose is for it.
It’s for display. I’m creating a humidified cabinet out of bookshelves. Gonna add some glass doors, drill a few holes in the shelves themselves for better airflow/humidity control, and get other things to make it as much of a controlled environment as I can.

I happen to own as many ukes as shelves, so it seems easier to do this than figure out a way to support hanging arms off the sides and back.

I will, of course, post pictures as soon as I’m done.

Thanks to everyone for the ideas. I’ll likely go the home woodworker route - or possibly Legos. We will see.

It’s for display. I’m creating a humidified cabinet out of bookshelves. Gonna add some glass doors, drill a few holes in the shelves themselves for better airflow/humidity control, and get other things to make it as much of a controlled environment as I can.I happen to own as many ukes as shelves, so it seems easier to do this than figure out a way to support hanging arms off the sides and back. I will, of course, post pictures as soon as I’m done.Thanks to everyone for the ideas. I’ll likely go the home woodworker route - or possibly Legos. We will see.

I did this about 5 years ago with a shelf in my bookcase. Lexan doors to which I added piano hinges, pull nobs, magnetic latches, foam doorway insulation on all the inside seems (you can see the top edge hanging down a bit), long brass hooks screwed into the bottom of the upper shelf, Martin leather neck straps to hang the ukes via the lower tuner shafts, water trays with sliding lids used to control humidity, an analog and digital hygrometers. It holds 8 ukuleles.

Shelf 7 ukes 800.jpg

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 13 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 37)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Last edited:
Some sort of variation on a cello box. Perhaps draped/stuffed with something soft like a blanket, to make it the appropriate depth.

CelloBox.jpg

Top Bottom