84.7 KB · Views: 67
  • Build 2 pic 10.jpg
    Build 2 pic 10.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 71
  • Build 2 pic 11.jpg
    Build 2 pic 11.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 70
How did you join the neck?

I wish my French Polish jobs came out that nice! I'd be interested in knowing what sort of schedule you use.

I wish my French Polish jobs came out that nice! I'd be interested in knowing what sort of schedule you use.

It is definitely time consuming, but I found it very pleasing...almost zen like. i think I had about 34 coats on this one. The trick is that each coat is extremely light (thin). I did about 2 coats a day. I took me about 2 1/2 weeks to do. I learned how to french polish from Tom Bills over at The Luthier's Edge. I did 4 coats using shellac only, then 3 coats using shellac and olive oil, then 8 coats using shellac with walnut oil and olive oil. I then level sanded with 1000 grit. Then 15 coats using shellac with walnut oil and olive oil. I then sanded with 3600 wet sandpaper using a mixture of mineral spirits and olive oil as a lubricant. I then did 4 very very very dry coat using shellac with walnut oil and olive oil. Finally I polished it with Novus #2 Fine Scratch Remover....you use very little of this, like probably less than 1/4 teaspoon (probably more like 1/8 teaspoon).

Top Bottom