Oscar Schmidt ou6lce

mattivie1

Reaction score
Is this a good ukulele for the money? hows the tone and volume of the wood? Is the action good? How is the pick-up? any details are greatly appriciated.

It's not a bad choice for an acoustic electric in the 300-400 dollar range. I'd more likely go with a KALA ka-kte-ct, or an Applause UAE 148

I play an OU-6 and I love it. It isn't electric though so I can't tell you about the pickup. I played a lot of ukes this week and it made me appreciate my Oscar Schmidt even more.

I have the OU-5LCE, the OU-6LCE is its big brother. The OU-5LCE is a concert body with the same neck as the OU-6LCE (tenor).

If my experience is any indication as to what you can expect, then I'd say that you are going to be getting a very nice ukulele. I love the action on mine and the sound is great acoustically (a bit softer-voiced then the tenor, but very sweet and loud enough to get the job done). Plugged into the recording equipment, amp, or PA and it is beautiful.

Here is a link to a recording made with the OU-5LCE:

http://www.tricornpublications.com/music/desperado.mp3

If you want to play the song, here is the chord/lyric sheet I made:

http://www.tricornpublications.com/music/desperado.pdf

I recorded this to give people a chance to hear the OU-5LCE. I will be reviewing it in the next issue of Ukulele Player Magazine.

Oscar Schmidt OU-6CLE

I just sold an Oscar Schmidt OU-5CLE which is called a super concert as it has a concert body with tenor neck. The OU-5CLE negatives, in my opinion, are:

* Laminated Body - Doesn't sustain or project as well as a solid wood ukulele. Mine didn't have that much sound, it sounded muted.
* Battery Changing - 9 Volt battery is inside the body. You have to completely loosen your strings to get to it. It is a bad design and a hassle. I suggest getting an acoustic-electric with an easy to change battery such as Kala offers. Theirs is a flat round battery in a bracket that slides into the equalizer from the outside.

Having dissed the OU-5CLE, I do want to add that I like Oscar Schmidt solid wood ukuleles as their build quality is excellent, they sound good, and play easy. I have an all mahogany solid wood tenor that I really like in all regards.

:)

I just sold an Oscar Schmidt OU-5CLE which is called a super concert as it has a concert body with tenor neck. The OU-5CLE negatives, in my opinion, are:

* Laminated Body - Doesn't sustain or project as well as a solid wood ukulele. Mine didn't have that much sound, it sounded muted.
* Battery Changing - 9 Volt battery is inside the body. You have to completely loosen your strings to get to it. It is a bad design and a hassle. I suggest getting an acoustic-electric with an easy to change battery such as Kala offers. Theirs is a flat round battery in a bracket that slides into the equalizer from the outside.

Having dissed the OU-5CLE, I do want to add that I like Oscar Schmidt solid wood ukuleles as their build quality is excellent, they sound good, and play easy. I have an all mahogany solid wood tenor that I really like in all regards.

:)

The OU-5LCE now has the UK-2000 EQ with a battery block that you do not have to go through the strings... a huge improvement. The lack of sustain can be attributed to the ABS plastic nut and saddle. The wood is not the problem. Projection, however, is another story.

Last edited:
Pippin, have you replaced the nut/saddle with tusq or something similar on your OU? I may strongly consider doing that, any suggestions you have would be much appreciated.

Pippin, have you replaced the nut/saddle with tusq or something similar on your OU? I may strongly consider doing that, any suggestions you have would be much appreciated.

I have not replaced the nut and saddle on mine, but I am thinking about it. The saddle is compensated and on the underside it is cut specifically for the pickup... so, unless I can get one cut to match the shape, I might keep it. The sustain on mine is actually pretty good, though, not great, but good enough.

Top Bottom