I found the cure for PTSD! Thanks 'ukulele....

airmanfoote

Reaction score
Hello there UU!

I have had my 'ukulele and stalked the forums for nearly a month now, so I figured I better introduce myself sooner than later.

My name is Nick, and I recently became addicted to the uke. :p

About 6 years ago I joined the Navy and ended up on a lovely island named Guam. Everywhere I went out in public, there was always at least one kid walking around playing the 'ukulele. I fell in love with the thing instantly, but never bought one. The cheapest I could find on the island at the time (not being a local and all), was around $600. I decided that was too expensive for something I wasn't sure if I really wanted to commit to. Needless to say, I met my wife, had a child, got sent to war, had a rough breakup with the Navy, and ended up back Stateside. The 'ukulele became out of sight out of mind.

Well about a month ago I ended up in a Guitar Center helping a friend pick out equipment for his home studio when I walked past a bunch of ukes. On a complete impulse, I picked up a Lanikai LU-21CE.

This little guy has been a blessing for me. It has brought so much joy into my life and really has made me a better husband and father. Also, with my wife being from the islands, its a win win! And seeing my son get interested in music is the greatest thing of all!

Not sure if this is the type of thread you guys are looking for...but for those suffering from depression or PTSD or any other so called disorder, the 'ukulele works way better than those pills the VA feeds us.

I am also very grateful for this site and the great community built here. You guys inspire me to want to play, play, play!!

Nick Foote

Welcome to the forum, Nick, very glad to have you!

Great to hear your ukulele is bringing so much joy into you and your family's lives.

Ditto what coconut Willie said. Welcome, thanks for the post, have fun and enjoy.

Aloha and E Komo Mai Nick!!! Glad you joined the UU!! BTW....many Mahalos for your service to our country!!!!!!
Ahhhhh.....behold the power of the ukulele, it cures most if not all problems!!!

I agree with Coconut Willie.......mahalo for your service and welcome to the family!!!!

Aloha & E Komo Mai shipmate! I served 12 years on Active Duty with the USN (Aviation) and I'm from Hawaii. Mahalo for your service to our country and I'm happy for you that you've found the uke helps with your PTSD. I grew up playing multiple sports and didn't start playing the uke seriously until a few months ago. I'm totally hooked and having a blast! You will make lots of friends here @ the UU and learn a lot about the uke and how to play. Enjoy!

Welcome aboard, Nick!

I've been diagnosed as PSTD from work in Emergency Services (FF/paramedic), and I haven't had any issues since I've been playing the ukulele. It helps, and playing with others certainly helps as well.

I don't know if Peoria has a Ukulele Club or not, but it is a great thing to be involved with, if there is one.

We've got one here in Schenectady, but it only meets once a month. On the other hand, there is another UU member who lives nearby, so we're trying to get together more often than that to make music. And since she and my wife can also talk knitting at the same time, it is a win-win all around!

-Kurt

Nick,

Thank you for sharing your story, the uke has been a life saver for so many and in so many ways. I know the challenge of Navy life all too well. My husband is over 19 yrs now and we are counting down.
Sounds like you have a beautiful family that loves you.. Welcome to UU and the uke! it really is a blessing in so many ways...

Welcome and thanks for sharing your uke story.

Hey airmanfoote, there are a few peoria ukers that get together once in a while and a uke grop in bloomington/ Normal.
Also my family is sponsoring a small uke get together in Taylorville where i live Oct. 22 10am-2pm. Older and easy music if you are interested.
I know of one peoria area uker coming down here. Family friendly, bring the wife and children

Welcome to UU, Nick, and thank you for your service. :)

...but for those suffering from depression or PTSD or any other so called disorder, the 'ukulele works way better than those pills the VA feeds us.
I have to agree with you there! Doctors are so quick to push pills on people, when something that brings some simple joy into your life (like playing uke) can be more effective than mind altering drugs.

Holy Cow! Wow. Well first off I'd like to say thanks. I was not expecting such a warm welcome. Sorry it took me so long to reply. And also, there really is no need to thank me, but, thanks.

cnkguitarsandukes- How cool is that?! I too was an "Airdale". I was a mech, worked on MH-60's. Originally I had orders to Kaneohe Bay to work on P-3's but that fell through and unfortunately the only part of Hawaii Ive seen is the airport in Honolulu. Nice to meet you, "shipmate"!

ksiegel- Regarding the cure for PTSD, it is fantastic, isn't it!? :D Thank you as well, for your service. I am really interested in researching an 'ukulele club now. It would be nice to have a mentor. Here on UU however, it seems like there are so many to choose from....

fitncrafty- A giant HOO-RAH! and Bravo Zulu on being short! Enjoy the retirement! Thank you!

cb56- I guess I don't need to go too far to research local 'uke clubs. ;) Do you know if this group has a website or any contact information? A road trip always sounds nice, but I'm not sure if my 'ukulele confidence or skills are up to par yet. Thank you for the offer though.

itsme- We could easily get into a deep, like-minded discussion on this subject....however, we may need to find a different forum. ;)

You ain't never lied ;) Thank you bro! I just hope I can contribute back to the site someday because I can already tell you guys will be the reason behind my success.

Welcome to UU :D

I have several chronic conditions including one that causes me massive amounts of physical pain and I have to agree with you that the Ukulele does help with that, it means I can make music and have fun and it has healing powers to some extent! So once again, welcome, you'll not find a nicer bunch than the people here :D

Get :music:

Joey

Hey Joey!
Thank you for the kind welcome. Glad to hear the uke eases your pain as easy as it does mine. Gotta love it! :p I can already see, this is a fine bunch of people here.

And I really like your blog!!

Hey Joey!
Thank you for the kind welcome. Glad to hear the uke eases your pain as easy as it does mine. Gotta love it! :p I can already see, this is a fine bunch of people here.

And I really like your blog!!

No problem, we're a friendly bunch and do like to welcome people...I run a group here on UU for Disabled Ukers! It's here if you want to join :D

I like my blog, been doing a lot of stuff with it recently, keeps me focused on what I need to learn and of course provides the videos for the Daily Ukulele over here in Uke Talk :D

Welcome again :D

Welcome aboard and mahalo!

Playing ukulele has definitely lowered my stress level.

Welcome to the UU!! I missed your original posting......sorry for that. Glad you picked up the uke and very glad you joined us!!!! The power of the uke is AMAZING!!!!!

Top Bottom