£89 short scale Telecaster - Playing Steel Bends(Dying Embers)

MikeHollandGuitar

Reaction score
I just bought this very cheap Short scale Telecaster .....Only £89 brand new...........Ridiculous price. Here is a Telecaster string bending piece called Dying Embers by Adrian Legg. Amazing value and a lot of fun. Played straight out of the box with original strings which are a little too light so I have tuned up a semitone to add a little tension. I hope you all enjoy, Mike

Wonderful demo Mike! The first person I saw do that kind of bending was Ray Flacke - who I bumped into in Nashville some years ago, quite a character. But I digress - does the short scale seem to make playing bends easier?

A great deal indeed......did you record this directly plugged into the recorder? Do the strings respond well?
I guess we should never judge an instrument by the price tag!
Thank you Brenda........The strings are way too light that's why I played this piece before I changed them. Even so I still had to raise the pitch a semitone to play it with out it sounding too pitchy. There is a usb output from the little amp that I connect directly into a Laptop for recording!
Mike

Wonderful demo Mike! The first person I saw do that kind of bending was Ray Flacke - who I bumped into in Nashville some years ago, quite a character. But I digress - does the short scale seem to make playing bends easier?

Yes Ray Flacke was a master of the Tele bends. There are just a lot of great Telecaster players out there. The Late danny Gatton comes to mind! I had a Telecaster since the 70s and when I stopped playing in bands I lent my son the guitar.......It does not look like I will see it again!!!!
It is easier to bend because of the shorter scale but the supplied strings are way too light. I had to increase the tuning by a semitone to play this piece. I am going to try a set with a .011" top and see how that feels!

Mike

I just bought a £120 Harley Benton Telecaster clone as an experiment, and it's a nice guitar and plays better than you would expect for the money, but I can't make it sound like you've made this one sound Mike.
Just goes to prove that the majority of the time the sound comes from the talents of the player rather than the cost of the guitar.
Well done mate.

Top Bottom