Any wood experts out there? (that's what she said)

durrin

Reaction score
I heard through the grapevine that Rosewood is now "scarce" and some species are now listed as "endangered"

First of all, is this true?

If so, what does this mean for Ukuleles and Guitars?
Do manufacturers continue to use Rosewood and jack up the price?
Do Rosewood made instruments increase in value?

I must know. Thank you.

i know that brazilian rosewood is rare and more expensive because you can only use the wood that was already cut before cutting the tree was banned. or something like that.

It is true that rosewood is becoming rare. The price isn't going to suddenly jack up though because rosewood has been in this state for a while. This is how Ko'olau says they deal with the issua of scarce rosewood: ROSEWOOD - Many different types of Rosewoods are grown throughout the world, the most common being known as Brazilian and Indian, but many different Rosewoods grow in South America and Asia. They are all similar in that they are very hard and dense, producing deep, dark bass resonant tones. This wood is never used as a top soundboard, so when combined with tops such as Spruce, an excellent balance of bass and treble, and good projection is achieved. They are both very high quality tone woods. New cut Brazilian Rosewood is no longer available, however we have acquired environmentally salvaged, legal remnant wood, at least 30- to 50-year-old lumber, with spectacular beauty and resonant tone properties.

Solid answer my friend. thank you so much.

It's funny you should mention Ko'olau. I purchased a Pono PTRC-CE (Rosewood cut away tenor) from my local uke shop. When I went on the ko'olau website to see if I got a decent price for it, i could not find the model. So, I emailed them and they said they had to discontinue it model. I didnt ask why, but now its starting to make sense why they would have to do that.

Does this mean that they will stop making ukes or guitars with rosewood sides, or make them until they run out of their reserves, or just use a different wood?....or am I completely missing the point? if so, tell me to shut up.

"Huh huh huh huh wood."

beavis_butthead_wood.jpg

awesome.

I was waiting for someone to make a wood joke.

I approve.

:biglaugh:

I purchased a Pono PTRC-CE (Rosewood cut away tenor) from my local uke shop. When I went on the ko'olau website to see if I got a decent price for it, i could not find the model. So, I emailed them and they said they had to discontinue it model. I didnt ask why, but now its starting to make sense why they would have to do that.

I can almost guarantee you that your Pono is not Brazilian. If it is, I'm sure it was a mistake. Of course, I don't see John, or anyone else for that matter, making that kind of mistake.

-Aaron

interesting.
Is there anyway to tell which type of rosewood it would be?

From easiest, to "you gotta know what you're looking for":

http://www.woolsonsoundcraft.com/tonewoods/tonewoods.html
http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/Secondproducthead.asp?CategoryName=+Backs+and+Sides
http://www.gilmerwood.com/boards_rosewood-exotic_unique.htm

Without seeing it, my guess would be East Indian Rosewood (EIR). Pono's are not expensive, so the woods are not going to be on the higher end. You could always call and ask, or, as usual, MGM probably already knows.

BTW - some of the above links are what Paul (Okami) and I call "wood p***". Forget the `ukulele p*** thread - when you have the ability to project the final product based on a raw pic of lumber, then you really know what its like to play with wood!

I hope this helps - Aaron

Last edited:
Wow. this helps a lot!
From the looks of it, you are spot on about it being East Indian Rosewood. The top is definitely a Western Red Cedar.

Thanks for the wood p***.

Top Bottom