Tenors with a larger than average body?

pix.fairydust

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just wondering which tenors have a larger than average body. The anuenue UT200 moon bird is a lot curvier than other ukuleles I've tried / owned and is definitely on the louder side, but not sure if it's actually bigger...

Got me thinking though, which tenor ukuleles do have a larger than average body?

Romero Creations Grand Tenor comes to mind. Ohana is introducing a tenor scale neck on a baritone body. Jerry Hoffmann's ML style tenor have a larger body as well.

My son is a tenor ... I would say that he has an average body; although it is doubtless true that many tenors have larger than average bodies! (Oops, sorry ... couldn't resist!)

I had a Pono ATD that was quite a bit larger than the Islander MST-4 and Cordoba 24T tenors
that I owned at the same time, especially the Cordoba. The Pono had a very deep body. Oddly enough, it also had the least volume of the three.

The Cordoba 30 series tenors have a larger body. My Ovation Applause has a body closer to baritone size.

John

Kanilea super tenors come in a slightly larger body - some with a longer 19" scale.

Baz at Got A Ukulele just did a review of the Epiphone Hummingbird. It's a Dreadnaught shape. (Baz quite liked it, too.)

I have a Moodyville Shelly D. Parks (luthier), Gypsy Jazz, in the style of Mario Macaferri, Tenor Ukulele. Walnut sides and back with a spruce top.

The body is wider than a typical tenor, but the depth is shallower. Really nice sound, mellow walnut combined with brighter louder Sitka Spruce top. 17" scale.

Larger in one direction and smaller in the other.

This paddle style tenor uke I bought from Bruce Wei Arts eBay store last year for $284 shipped from Vietnam to Los Angeles has a larger bigger than standard tenors. I think it sounds very good, full.

BWA paddle island uke 800.jpg

9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 33)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers https://www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers/, www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

A good alternative for those wanting something like a big tenor is a baritone, particularly those with a 19" scale. Put a CGEA set on it and it will likely give you the sound you like. Maybe tune to Bb will do the trick too.

Top Bottom