New guy from Snowy Michigan

Desmodromic

Reaction score
Hi all! Just a quick note to introduce myself and say hello. I'm Mark and I live in southeast Michigan. I'm a 30+ year guitar guy, just getting into ukulele and look forward to learning from many of you here. Found UU via Google search.

Hi all! Just a quick note to introduce myself and say hello. I'm Mark and I live in southeast Michigan. I'm a 30+ year guitar guy, just getting into ukulele and look forward to learning from many of you here. Found UU via Google search.

Hello from Kalamazoo!

Well there's TONS of uke stuff to do in Michigan. Motor City Ukes is over your way, among others. Mighty Uke Day is usually the first or second weekend of May in Lansing, and Midwest Ukulele Camp is at Olivet College in mid-late June. There's also Uke-toberfest at that fine arts joint - Interlochen? I think that's it.

You're going to have a ton of fun. Uke people are the best people.

Hello from Kalamazoo!

Well there's TONS of uke stuff to do in Michigan. Motor City Ukes is over your way, among others. Mighty Uke Day is usually the first or second weekend of May in Lansing, and Midwest Ukulele Camp is at Olivet College in mid-late June. There's also Uke-toberfest at that fine arts joint - Interlochen? I think that's it.

You're going to have a ton of fun. Uke people are the best people.
That all does sound fun! I wasn't aware of Motor City Ukes, will have to check them out. I'm not terribly far from Elderly, have shopped guitars there for years, but never Ukes. Will have to make the drove over this weekend and do some looking. Thanks for the welcome and the tips!

That all does sound fun! I wasn't aware of Motor City Ukes, will have to check them out. I'm not terribly far from Elderly, have shopped guitars there for years, but never Ukes. Will have to make the drove over this weekend and do some looking. Thanks for the welcome and the tips!

There's a group in Ann Arbor/Ypsi, too. And one in Lansing that meets at Sir Pizza which is close to Elderly's. Typically the second Saturday for that one.

Hi from Squally Ontario. Welcome. All Michiganders are more than welcome here...unless they’re UM fans. :eek: JK!!!

Haha! My wife works for The University, so we are fans of her paycheck, at a minimum. :) Funny stuff, Dave - I just noticed your intro thread a bit down the page. Us snowy midwest guys gotta stick together!

I'm not terribly far from Elderly, have shopped guitars there for years, but never Ukes.

Welcome to the forum!

I made the pilgrimage to Elderly's from Cleveland. It was a great opportunity to play a fair number of vintage instruments. As well as various current instruments of different quality/cost points.
I went prepared to pick up a vintage piece if I found one I liked. But none of them sang to me. My wife liked one of the banjoleles they had. My mother-in-law did get a dulcimer.

Welcome to the forum!

I made the pilgrimage to Elderly's from Cleveland. It was a great opportunity to play a fair number of vintage instruments. As well as various current instruments of different quality/cost points.
I went prepared to pick up a vintage piece if I found one I liked. But none of them sang to me. My wife liked one of the banjoleles they had. My mother-in-law did get a dulcimer.

For sure that's where the real beauty lies with a place like Elderly - you can go and "run the racks," and play lots of gear. I've found some real gems there on the acoustic and electric guitar side. Guitars that I would never have picked out of a lineup, but that shone bright when played for a few minutes. Some of the pretty ones just aren't great players or don't have that tone.

Appreciate the welcome!

Haha! My wife works for The University, so we are fans of her paycheck, at a minimum. :) Funny stuff, Dave - I just noticed your intro thread a bit down the page. Us snowy midwest guys gotta stick together!
Good nature ribbing... I’m from Ohio originally (OSU alum) AND, here’s a sad fact, my daughter went to UM and now lives and counsels students in Ann Arbor. I’ll be visiting on Sunday. Go Buckeyes! :)

Welcome to the underground world where there is no return! You will meet a lot of great friends here. If you browse the link and video page , there are plenty of good players posting video and some are from 40 years of guitar background fell in love with the uke.
Elderly has good selections of uke but check their website for update inventory before you make the trip. Most time the salesman don’t even know what they have in stock! The few salesmen I dealt with , knowledge on ukulele is quite limited

Welcome to the forums. I used to live in Chicago and was visiting family in London, Ontario on a regular basis. Ann Arbor was my designated stop.
Thanks Joseph, happy to be here. Ann Arbor isn't a bad place to stop over! Lots of good restaurants and things to do there.

Welcome to the underground world where there is no return! You will meet a lot of great friends here. If you browse the link and video page , there are plenty of good players posting video and some are from 40 years of guitar background fell in love with the uke.
Elderly has good selections of uke but check their website for update inventory before you make the trip. Most time the salesman don’t even know what they have in stock! The few salesmen I dealt with , knowledge on ukulele is quite limited
Great advice on all fronts, Brenda. Thank you! For sure Elderly is a place that has so much stuff onsite, it's probably a huge challenge to even just keep track of it all. Appreciate the warm welcome.

Welcome, I'm also a guitar player (45 years) and an Elderly customer since about 1974. I'm in Gaylord.

Top Bottom