Hello from South Australia!

Ausmiller

Reaction score
Hello all, I have just started down the slippery slope of building ukuleles and guitars. I have a couple of ukuleles on the go at the moment, one of my daughters plays and has come up with a design she likes and asked me to make it for her. I have been a woodworker for many years but this is a whole new challenge that I am really enjoying. I have made a bending iron using a PID controller, heat rod and aluminium bar. I have created the sides of the ukuleles and added kerfing and I am researching radius dishes at the moment which has bought me to this forum.
I will post some pics of where I am up to. Cheers Cal

Welcome to the forums, Cal!! Looking forward to seeing your work!

Aloha! Big Bash fan?

Hello all, I have just started down the slippery slope of building ukuleles and guitars. I have a couple of ukuleles on the go at the moment, one of my daughters plays and has come up with a design she likes and asked me to make it for her. I have been a woodworker for many years but this is a whole new challenge that I am really enjoying. I have made a bending iron using a PID controller, heat rod and aluminium bar. I have created the sides of the ukuleles and added kerfing and I am researching radius dishes at the moment which has bought me to this forum.
I will post some pics of where I am up to. Cheers Cal

So glad to say hello to you ! I can't wait to see your new ukulele now ~ :)

As a fellow South Australian I look forward to seeing what you can produce!

Cricket and Ukulele go hand in hand.... right? Ha. Welcome all the same!

Welcome! Sounds like you are well on your way to making some excellent instruments. Using any fun local woods?
Thank you! I have some Blackwood (Acacia melanoxylon) that I milled recently but it will be a while before it is dry. I have some Huon pine which is lovely, as is the Tasmanian Myrtle and cootamundra wattle. Some not so locals including Silky Oak aka lacewood and Claret Ash. All milled and ready to use. I’m building two at the moment using camphor laurel. Cheers Cal

Top Bottom