Season 458--If It Makes You Happy...

greyghost

Reaction score
I've decided, given the current state of the world (and of my home country, particularly) to post an extremely broad theme (with apologies to Sheryl Crow)--you may record literally any song you want (or compose one, for that matter), as long as it is something that brings you joy and/or peace. More details, and the song that's doing it for me today, in the video:

The usual rules apply--competition runs from midnight Hawaii time (12 am Sunday), November 22nd, for 8 days until midnight Hawaii time Sunday, November 29th (12am Monday).
Unlimited videos--I have the week off and can't go visit any relatives!

PLAYLIST:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8uCcTbFHWNzmwJ3MUkTYKozu347jJQNU

Great idea GG! Thanks for hosting ~

Thanks GG. I remembered my brother mentioning he had been mucking around with this old Stealers Wheel song on a Lap Steel guitar he had got. He said we should cover it some day. So I rang him up to see if he had time today. And he did. Bit of an unusual combo but sounded pretty good...and we had fun.

Shouldn't need to explain why this one makes me happy

I've gone for 2 songs from the 70s that are still as relevant today as the day they were written, timeless classics in my opinion.
Thanks for hosting GG, I too like heavy metal but with my style of playing and singing it's a total no go area :)

And we're off! By 10 am EST I already had 10 videos to watch, and they are wonderfully diverse so far! I'll be commenting on Youtube rather than cluttering up the thread, but I realized I left out a rather important detail last night--the prize! Watch this short video to see and hear about it. Don't feel like watching? The winner gets a clear plastic Kala Waterman, very gently used.

I forgot to add, all submissions so far are on the playlist.

Hello! I'm Richard and this is my first post to the UU Forum. It makes me happy very every time I watch my vid of Mr. Five By Five when the clip of Jimmy Rushing, the original Mr. Five by Five, aligns perfectly to the rhythm of the song as he dances off camera.

Larkin Poe released a record full of covers this week, and this was on it, great song by Sir Elton John: Crocodile Rock.

The late Oscar Brown Jr. is my favourite male jazz singer and singing this tune of his has always made me happy, though I've never accompanied it on the uke until today and I am certainly not a jazz singer.

Last edited:
One thing that makes me happy is making music with my friends. Michael August had the idea to cover this Tom T. Hall song and Franco Luong came along on bass.

Harper Valley PTA
Tom T. Hall, 1968

Thanks for hosting GG! This song makes me happy and reminds me to always have a soft spot for people in need. In case you're trying to find the uke, I'm playing a Pono Nui, which according to HMS translates to Big Baritone ~

Top Bottom