Ever Name Your Ukulele?

KaijuEmily

Reaction score
Ive heard of musicians giving names to their instruments before,but what kind of nicknames do you have for your ukes? Im waiting for some life expirience to give me some inspiration.

My Blackbear macadamia/mango 'uke is named Duane after the luthier who built it. The rest are anonymous.

My Scott Wise ukulele's are made of Tasmanian Blackwood
The Baritone is "The Devil"
The Tenor is "The Lil' Devil"

Yeah I have Koaloha, Moore Bettah, Howlett, KPK and Stagg. Ussually with 'The' in front.

Well I guess I didnt really give them names, but they came with them and they seemed to work for me.

Odd. I'm a guy who does name inanimate objects. My car has a name, my scooter has a name. But I never even considered naming my musical instruments. I think it's because when I'm playing them, they seem more like an extension of me than they do like a personality of their own. And besides, I have so many of them that naming them would become rather confusing.

Nope. Haven't named any of my ukes. My main clarinet has a name. My dad named every car we ever had Betsy, so every car I've ever had has been called Betsy. I do not know why.

Kinda like a dog with no legs. No sense naming it because it will not come when you call it :confused:

But I have named a few of my ukes anyways, if something right just jumps up and it sticks. I wonder if the others without names feel less loved

Last edited:
I have a Makala Dolphin and a Luna Tattoo. A couple of days after buying the Dolphin, I was doing something or other and suddenly had a few moments to spare. So I thought to myself "Guess I'll grab Betsy here and do some strums."

And then I thought to myself "'Betsy?' Where the heck did *that* come from?"

So, I guess my Dolphin's name is Betsy, and although I named it\her, it didn't quite feel that way. I've had pianos, electric organs, guitars, a banjo, an 88 key weighted MIDI keyboard, a harmonica, and a mouth harp, and none of them have ever had names.

The Luna also remains nameless. I simply don't ordinarily name inanimate objects. Betsy may beg to differ, however.

Last edited:
I have referred to my ukes with words that can't be repeated here on the forum but that was more because of my lack of playing ability

I have a Triumph triangular tenor uke and it has three holes and I call it my "Swiss Cheese Uke." Makes me think back to my youth in the 1970s when we called our VW Beetle "Herbie!" hehe

swiss.jpg

Petey

I have a Luna concert with inlaid dragonflies made of spalted maple around the sound hole. My husband always calls it my "Skeeter" and now the name has stuck.

My one and only is a Luna that i call My-Uke. Not very original, but that's what she's called.

I named my ukes so I could label the bags and cases. Now I rather like that each of my ukes has a name, though I didn't reach too far for them (no personal relevance) and I haven't named any of my other instruments.

My cars, my computers and my tablets etc have always had nicknames, even my bycycle. My ukes have always just carried the names of their maker, like Eddy, Kala, etc. I guess if I ever have two ukes from the same maker it might be different, and I'm sure the custom uke I am having built will have a name. I don't know what that will be though until I see it and play it. An experience I am really looking forward to with great anticipation.

I think giving them names is because the particular machines/instruments and I are often "out there" doing stuff together. So whatever I'm using is part of the team and you can't talk to them unless they have a name.

Ooooo maybe I need Uke_Therapy more than I thought. Oh no, did I say that out loud?

Last edited:
I call my Koloa/Silvercreek soprano "the doorstop". Which it is.

Kinda like a dog with no legs. No sense naming it because it will not come when you call it
I knew a guy that had a dog with no legs . Every nite he would take him out for a drag.

No, and I don't call them her or she either...

Last edited:
I named my earliest ones. Now I have so many that names don't occur to me for them. See the names in my sig.

Top Bottom