Vintage Harmony Roy Smeck Vita-Uke Ukulele W/OHSC !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

warndt

Reaction score
In 1927 Harmony introduced the Roy Smeck Vita Uke, a pear-shaped instrument with stylized "seal" f-holes. Made in Chicago, natural lacquer finish, curly mahogany back and sides, spruce top; mahogany neck with rosewood fingerboard. The length is 21 1/2 in. (54.6 cm.), 8 in. (20.3 cm.) wide at lower bout, and 2 1/2 in. (6.4 cm.) in depth at side. The uke has repaired cracks by the seal soundholes and under the slight bridge lift, a wedge was solidly glued in place. I had a very well known luthier/builder inspect these repairs, fully prepared for him to re-do the work...he told me to just keep on playing it...the repairs are just fine. Overall, this is a great playing and sounding instrument!

The tuners are original and are SMOOTH!

Comes with the ORIGINAL hardshell case!

This is a PLAYER'S UKE!

Intonation is spot on... and it plays like butta!

SOLD!!!!!!

Attachments

• vita uke1.jpg
    vita uke1.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 111
  • vitauke2.jpg
    vitauke2.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 84
  • vitauke4.jpg
    vitauke4.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 109
  • vitauke5.jpg
    vitauke5.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 88
  • vitauke6.jpg
    vitauke6.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
These are amazing ukes, some of the best ever made. You almost never find them without cracks - the wood was so thin - and the seal sound holes seem especially fragile. The one I have looks like "heck", especially at the bridge. The original tuners are fantastic. I swear they are smoother than modern geared tuners. The sound is rich and loud. If you have any inclination to own a vintage uke - this is the one. Don't kid yourself - an Ohana "copy" is nothing like the real ones (I have one for comparison sake), and the Ukiyo Vita sounds nothing like the original (I have one - it's a cool uke but only looks like a Vita).

This is killing me. Deep down I want it but I have a Ukiyo that I love. Good luck with the sale William.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom