Enya Nova U TransAcoustic

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I bought the TA version, its the one I have the fret wear issue, mentioned in an earlier thread.
That aside, I think it's a good acoustic uke for the price, in my opinion the addition of the TA does not warrant the more than doubled cost.
The plugged in sound through a Fishman Loudbox was ok, but I can get better from my iRig and Fishman set-up.
The effects are a bit of a gimmick, again, the Fishman effects are better and I don't really need them for unplugged play.

I can see the attraction for certain players and I also suspect that the effects will become massively overused.
I reckon there will soon be a flood of these, Bazmaz has recently reviewed another version in the Flight Diana Soundwave, and I've also seen a couple of guitars similarly equipped.

So briefly, IMO be happy with what you have, it's a good sounding and easily played acoustic uke.
Hope you can avoid the fret wear issues.

Vintage

It's 'essentially' the same sort of system as in this new one from Flight https://www.gotaukulele.com/2020/01/flight-diana-soundwave-tenor-ukulele.html

It sends the output signal from the jack (with effects) back to an actuator (kind of a piezo pad in reverse) back into the back of the ukulele to apply the effects to the acoustic sound (or the plugged in sound too if you wish).

Sure it's novel, but it's not actually new - it was developed by Yamaha Guitars and was well received.. but they largely didn't sell.

The Enya version differs from the Flight as it doesn't include the delay effect (the best of the three on the Flight IMHO). Also, contrary to some reviews, it doesn't 'amplify' the ukulele itself. It certainly fills out the tone somewhat, but as it is just vibrating the core body, it can only work with what it has to work with.

I'm not down on them and expect to see more. I see them as an option that just shapes the acoustic sound in new ways. Considering people are forever buying new ukes in the pursuit of new tones and sounds, I think it works for that reason alone. Plus, you don't need to turn it on all the time of course.

Top Bottom