What size guitar?

Rllink

Reaction score
My wife has an old guitar that I think I want to learn to play. So I'm going to give it a try in a couple of weeks when I don't have anything ukulele oriented on the horizon. But just thinking ahead, that guitar is a dreadnought size and it is huge. I'm a big guy, and I could hide behind that guitar. So what about the 3/4 size guitar? Is that considered a kid's guitar, is it considered a lady's guitar, or is it just considered a small guitar for people who don't like a guitar the size of a billboard? I don't want to buy something later on just to find out that there is some stigma to playing it for whatever reason.

Also, just as an added note, I kind of want to play bluegrass with it. I've showed up to a couple of bluegrass get togethers with my ukulele and it was not particularly well received. I don't want to buy a guitar that gets the same lack of enthusiasm from the bluegrass community that I want to play with.

If you're worried about what the "real" bluegrass crowd is going to receive, then ask them. Personally, my only "guitars" now are tenor and baritone uke-sized bodies. Anybody that's going to look down their nose at me for that choice, I don't care to play with. But that's just me.

Bluegrass people can be a little snobbish about playing with "proper" instruments. I try practicing bluegrass at home anyway just because I love Banjos but don't have hands that can fret them. Wish they made small banjos.
Good luck!

I play lead in a bluegrass group. I use a George Thomas parlor and a 1893 Bay State Parlor guitars. The Bay State, as small as it is, puts the Martin Dreadnaughts to shame. I continually get comments how much volume that little guy puts out. String type and pick material play a large part in the sound.

It's not the guitar a person plays but how well they play it. Someone with a vintage Martin D28 who can't play it well would be shamed much more than someone with a faunky guitar who can play the heck out of it.

I am looking at a '58 Martin D28 and '47 Gibson J45 or 50 an elderly gentleman wants to sell. Will never buy a Martin or Gibson later than '73.

Last edited:
If you're worried about what the "real" bluegrass crowd is going to receive, then ask them. Personally, my only "guitars" now are tenor and baritone uke-sized bodies. Anybody that's going to look down their nose at me for that choice, I don't care to play with. But that's just me.
Yes, I might agree with you except that I want to learn to play bluegrass on a guitar.

I play lead in a bluegrass group. I use a George Thomas parlor and a 1893 Bay State Parlor guitars. The Bay State, as small as it is, puts the Martin Dreadnaughts to shame. I continually get comments how much volume that little guy puts out. String type and pick material play a large part in the sound.

It's not the guitar a person plays but how well they play it. Someone with a vintage Martin D28 who can't play it well would be shamed much more than someone with a faunky guitar who can play the heck out of it.

I am looking at a '58 Martin D28 and '47 Gibson J45 or 50 an elderly gentleman wants to sell. Will never buy a Martin or Gibson later than '73.
Very good, thank you. What I'm looking for, someone with experience. I will look at parlor guitars. I'll probably start out on my wife's old guitar, just to learn, but when I progress to the point of getting my own, I don't want to be buying, and then buying again because what I bought isn't going to work for what I want to do.

If you want to play serious bluegrass with a group, I suggest you look for something bigger than a parlor. It's tough competing against a 5 string banjo and mandolin. I use a parlor due more to I'm sitting down when I play. 000 or OM is a good size if you don't want to play a dreadnaught. For a pick, I have been using the Charmed Life triangle CLT.075 up to a.092.

The 1893 Bay State is 126 years old and light as a feather. I put on xtra light John Pearce 80/20's just to give the old girl a break. The Thomas has on med/light JP 80/20's. GAS is knockin' at the door so may go for a larger size this time.

Hey Rolli about 90% of bluegrass is played on dreadnaughts, sorry for the bad news. It is simple physics, a big guitar usually has a bigger sound. When you are playing with a lot of other instruments including banjo volume is king. That being said a 00 or 000 size is big enough to have good volume, I own both, small enough to be comfortable.

Welcome to the dark side. I love the steel string sound and my time is now split between guitar and ukulele.

If you are just getting started in bluegrass guitar, you'll probably mostly be playing in jams. There are always a ton of guitars there so adding yet another loud as heck dreadnought isn't necessary. For that setting I like best my little Alvarez parlor guitar.

If you're the only guitarist in an actual band, facing a banjo and fiddle, you'll probably need the dreadnought size to reach approximate balance. Even then, they have to throttle down when you are taking a guitar break.

In my case I'm not tall but I've got long arms (5-9 height, 6 foot wingspan, yes I'm evidence we did in fact evolve from the apes), I don't really have any trouble playing the dreadnought size guitar, but I will agree that the parlor size seems easier to manipulate.

I see an awful lot of women of modest stature successfully playing the big dreadnoughts so I wouldn't get too concerned about it. It'll take you a while to get accustomed to the playing position if you've been playing ukulele (which is on the completely opposite end of the size spectrum), but if you are a man of medium or greater size you don't need anything smaller.

For sure I would not buy a short scale guitar (which I bet most of those called "3/4" are), unless for some very special specific use, or if you are a child.

Finally, if you are just starting out on guitar, why not get started with what you have, and let your preferences form more fully before considering whether to invest in something non-standard? You may still decide to do it, but let that decision be based on some more knowledge.

Finally, if you are just starting out on guitar, why not get started with what you have, and let your preferences form more fully before considering whether to invest in something non-standard? You may still decide to do it, but let that decision be based on some more knowledge.

I think that perhaps I'm over thinking it before the fact. I can't even play the guitar at this point. I'll play my wife's guitar for a while and probably get used to the size quickly. I'm not a small person. Well see where it goes. Thanks all for the advise though.

Play the guitar.

A big guy can get away with playing any Uke but a kids sized guitar is just that a kids guitar.

With the cash saved in not buying a parlour sized guitar you could buy another Uke.

Can't speak to what's accepted by the group, but a dreadnought is what pushed me into ukulele. I do like the 3/4 size if I get another guitar. Tried 1/2 size and smaller, but it seemed too compact for a 6 string to me. Comes down to personal preference, but I guess it depends how well you want to fit into their biases (is there really such a lack of acceptance outside the uke world?)

Check out the Martin Dreadnought Junior. It's a genuine Martin Dreadnought, but with a small body and 24-inch scale. I have one and love it! It's easy to play and has that authentic Martin sound.

I also have a Taylor GS-Mini Koa guitar, which is a similar size. The Taylor looks prettier, but the Martin sounds way better!

Rolli I agree with the others about starting with what you have in house. Sure it is bigger and more awkward to start with but when it’s the only guitar at hand you get use to it. Look at all the small kids playing a full size guitar on YouTube and you realize anything is possible.

Another option after you get your feet wet is renting, if you live near a music store that does that. Some stores have many different makes and sizes, a great way to test drive and see what you prefer.

Can't speak to what's accepted by the group, but a dreadnought is what pushed me into ukulele. I do like the 3/4 size if I get another guitar. Tried 1/2 size and smaller, but it seemed too compact for a 6 string to me. Comes down to personal preference, but I guess it depends how well you want to fit into their biases (is there really such a lack of acceptance outside the uke world?)
Sometimes things are hard enough without being the odd duck. As far a bias, you find that even in the ukulele world. I've played in a few groups and gone to a few festivals where it was explicitly spelled out, ukes only. So yes, I want to fit in.

Rolli I agree with the others about starting with what you have in house. Sure it is bigger and more awkward to start with but when it’s the only guitar at hand you get use to it. Look at all the small kids playing a full size guitar on YouTube and you realize anything is possible.

Another option after you get your feet wet is renting, if you live near a music store that does that. Some stores have many different makes and sizes, a great way to test drive and see what you prefer.
You are right Dave. It is just a matter of getting used to it. I want to get going on learning to play the guitar and learning to play bluegrass, but for the next two or three weeks I'm doing all kinds of uke stuff so that is taking up much of my playing time. So I talk about it instead. I'm sure once I get into it I'll find my direction. And regardless, I'll play my wife's old guitar before I go out looking for something else. Thanks for talking to me about it though.:)

A big help would be to take it in for a setup if possible and if it's worth it. Try to get the action low. Since you're just starting out, try going with either extra light or light strings. I use a set of John Pearce Med/lights on my Thomas and extra lights on the 1893 Bay State. 80/20's are a popular type string for BG. Ernie Ball Earthwoods are good. I like John Pearce.

Bluegrass is usually played in G or D so no big deal with fancy chords until you start playing in 2nd and 3rd positions up the neck. Double picking is used a lot when using a pick. Uke and BG guys can be a strange lot. May want to check out senior centers to see if they have any string instrument things going on. One of the uke groups I play with a our local SC has a motto, "if you can breathe, you're welcome to join us". Makes learning really enjoyable for the newbies. For me, if they are that judgmental on an instrument, they more than likely aren't have a lot of fun. Dang, just call it a 4 string nylon mandolin lol.

If six strings are difficult, there's always a tenor guitar. I use my contra baritone once in a while. It's a tenor guitar size with nylon strings and can shut down a dreadnaught when it needs to.

Last edited:
As Patrick said getting a good set up and putting on light gauge strings goes a long way to making a “BIG” guitar play easy.

My guitar story, very briefly. About 15 years ago I decided to learn how to play guitar, no prior musical experience. Rented a dreadnaught guitar took some lessons decided I would pursue it. I purchased a Larrivee L-01 about the same size as a dreadnaught, I knew no “better”. Messed around on and off for a few years and shelved it. About 4 years ago I took up ukulele. About one year ago I got the guitar itch and bought a Taylor GS mini, thinking smaller would be easier. Bought a couple small to mid size guitars along the way.

I finally took the big beast....Larrivee L-01 in for a proper set up. It plays as easily as my smaller ones. Except for the physical size, but I am an average sized man so no big deal. Moral of the story, I could have saved a bunch of money by sticking with the Larrivee and getting a set up.

I like the size of my classical guitar. It's small enough to play comfortably while sitting on the couch. I've considered buying a parlor guitar, but haven't found one cheap enough that I couldn't walk away...yet.

I did get a thinline cutaway acoustic electric. It's plenty comfortable while standing, but I still have to wrap my arm up around it when seated.

I have also been seriously looking at a Les Paul copy. It's plenty small, and I can practice silently if I had it.

Last edited:

I was just looking at the specs on the Cordoba Requinto 580 1/2 size classical guitar yesterday. And that looks like a 1/2 size that I could like.
Solid red cedar top. 22 7/8 scale. And 1 7/8 nut width.
The 10 x 3 1/4 upper bout and 13 1/4 x 3 1/2 lower bout would make it a real comfortable couch guitar.

I was just looking at the specs on the Cordoba Requinto 580 1/2 size classical guitar yesterday. And that looks like a 1/2 size that I could like.
Solid red cedar top. 22 7/8 scale. And 1 7/8 nut width.
The 10 x 3 1/4 upper bout and 13 1/4 x 3 1/2 lower bout would make it a real comfortable couch guitar.

I have a Kremona S58C 580mm scale classical guitar that I purchased new, played it for a few months then put it away after purchasing a smaller Romero Creations 530mm scale guitar. It sounds great and I would sell it at a good price as I will never use it, and it's just taking up space.

I have a Kremona S58C 580mm scale classical guitar that I purchased new, played it for a few months then put it away after purchasing a smaller Romero Creations 530mm scale guitar. It sounds great and I would sell it at a good price as I will never use it, and it's just taking up space.

Thanks for the offer. I guess I'm an impulse / see it - touch it / cash and carry buyer.

Who knew I'd go to the extremes and end up with a pint sized guitar today with a 24" scale.
Washburn Rover. I love this thing. Could be the key that unlocks the music in me. I already feel like I've begun to make some progress in just a short time with this tiny guitar.
I feel a little fat-fingered on the frets still. Even with it's 1 11/16" nut. I'm going to see how much I can improve with it as is before I commit to converting it to a four or five string.
But so far, this could be my favorite stringed instrument yet.

Attachments

• 20191206_213329~2.jpg
    20191206_213329~2.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Top Bottom