Dumped Ukulele Cosmos

KohanMike

Los Angeles, Beverly Grove West
UU VIP
Reaction score
After reading some of the following posts, I realized I over reacted so I deleted this original post and apologize to all. Suffice it to say that I found Cosmos not for me.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Last edited:
I did the same several weeks back. After being on the forum for a few weeks and following various discussions daily, I just didn't care for the tone of the forum. I didn't request my account to be deleted, but I haven't been there since.

That's basically why I had been absent from the Cosmos for all the intervening years, since first joining, there's just not much uke talk on the site at all - just thought it might be different nowadays, when you all started looking there, but unfortunately, other than certain people no longer being there, not a lot has changed. :)

I am surprised that anybody could have such an extreme reaction to something so trivial. However, I will support your right to be offended, Mike, if you find that offensive.

John Colter

You seem to expect a lot from the Cosmos, Mike. You arrived, made a couple of innocuous posts then warned us that if "our attitudes didn't improve"(your words!) you'd leave. Then you took offence that everyone carried on as before and about a month later flounce off and complain about the forum both there and here.

The Cosmos may not be a good fit for you and that's OK, but why make such a show of your displeasure? What do you hope to gain? Do you want a refund?

The thread that has got your knickers in a twist , Mike , is titled "Tits!" Tit is a type of bird.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tit_(bird)
The very type of bird that the OP has nesting in his garden.
Perhaps you should go and have a lie down.

Chickadees are the closest thing to tits in NA that I am aware of.
I just looked them up and discovered they are a member of the same family as the Great Tit.
I don't know why I never looked that up before but I am extremely pleased with myself that my amateur ornithological taxonomy skills are still firing.

I just asked Ukulele Cosmos to delete my account. First I don't find the forum focused enough on ukulele, but a moment ago I checked into the site and saw a post with a crass and salacious title that irked me in itself, but when I looked at the post to see why they chose that title, it turned out to be about birds nests. The OP was just trying to get attention to his thread, and additional posts gave him an accolade for being clever.

I had been warned that Cosmos forum members can lack tact, which I've noticed, but this goes beyond that, so I emailed the administrator to delete my account. We'll see if they comply, I deleted all my details in the account and my bookmark.

I really don’t understand your issues with Cosmos and can only assume that you don’t understand the nature of the place - to be fair Cosmos is ‘different’ and I too didn’t understand the place for quite some time. Cosmos was described to me as a virtual Pub and I think that that is a good analogy, certainly a lot of the people who use Cosmos know each other on a face to face basis as well as on-line, such people share friendships and they are wide ranging in discussion when they want to be. The members are also predominantly skilled and long term players, very different from UU. To be fair the culture there is also quite European and some things do not translate well between the US and Europe, and the other way around too.

I say those positive things about the Cosmos even though I didn’t fit in there and don’t post there. Live and let live seems to be appropriate, and if someone wants to talk about birds on a Uke forum and plays tens times better than I do then (I say) why not just let him/her/them enjoy that conversation with his/her/their pals? Cosmos is their Pub and to be allowed in is, whether we realise it or not, a privilege and not a right.

Of course it’s entirely your choice Mike as to whether you like Cosmos or not but to me it’s a mystery as to why you think that they should change what they do to suit you or anybody else.

Last edited:
Graham,
I couldn't agree more. In the past decade or so, I've discovered that humans become offended VERY easily.
If I put up something, and I'm wrong or offensive, let me know, and I'll admit it, and try to correct it.
However, if I put up something harmless and you all don't like it, you can gripe me out, then you can sod off, I couldn't care less!
I may not enjoy all the content in Cosmos, or UU, but I'm not about to let it offend me.
And remember, Mike, Brits don't choose words the same as us. They invented the English language, we only mimic it, at best. I think it was unfair of you to deride them on another forum. Please, my friend, chill out!
Now I need to go meditate....

Last edited:
I just asked Ukulele Cosmos to delete my account.
What is the purpose of deleting your account? Is it that you want to make a statement, or are you afraid that some how someone will associate you with them and you don't want that association? Just wondering. I mean, I belong to any number of forums that I don't go to anymore for one reason or another and it has never occurred to me to make a concerted effort to have myself removed from them.

Last edited:
"why make such a show of your displeasure? What do you hope to gain?"

It's called "virtue signaling". There's a lot of it about.

John Colter

I must apologize to all, I guess with the isolation and not sleeping well the last few nights, my nerves were on edge in the middle of the night. I didn't know about bird names, so again, I'm sorry, I take it all back. But I do find that Cosmos is not for me, so I will not mention it again.

I would ask to delete this thread, if that's possible.

I must apologize to all, I guess with the isolation and not sleeping well the last few nights, my nerves were on edge in the middle of the night. I didn't know about bird names, so again, I'm sorry, I take it all back. But I do find that Cosmos is not for me, so I will not mention it again.

I would ask to delete this thread, if that's possible.

The active Cosmos members are able to speak for themselves, from my perspective I’d like to see the thread stand as an education for others to learn from. Forums vary quite a bit and so do cultural differences, it’s easy to get the wrong side of things or stumble into difficulties in a place that wasn’t what you believed it to be. Personally I wish you well Mike and hope that you will put the experience behind you and move on whilst still learning from what has happened.

Very big of you to admit that, Mike.
I always figured you were a good guy. I hope you get rested well.
We all need to get along, American or British.
Uker or GASP!.......non-uker.
Peace

"why make such a show of your displeasure? What do you hope to gain?"

It's called "virtue signaling". There's a lot of it about.

Thanks John, that gave me a ‘light bulb’ moment on a separate issue. ‘Virtue signalling’, yes there is a lot of it about and it comes in various forms. At least one good thing has come out of this thread, thank you.

Those ukulele cosmosnauts DO speak their minds rather bluntly at times. However, on those occasions when someone has had life kick him in his head, they are quick to gather round to commiserate and offer solace. They talk about a lot of things besides ukuleles. However, if you ask a serious uke question, you can get some excellent comments (BUT there are almost always a few kidders who never miss a chance to pull someone's chain).

I must apologize to all, I guess with the isolation and not sleeping well the last few nights, my nerves were on edge in the middle of the night. I didn't know about bird names, so again, I'm sorry,

Your OK Mike. Everyone is a little tetchy with what has been thrust upon us over the last couple of months. No harm done. If anything your post might get more people to check out Cosmos.

Now that you actually know what tits are I bet you can have a good laugh about it. :D

If you searched for Ukulele Cosmos Forum on Google, for a couple of years the top link was a thread here where someone who we must have offended said how rude we all were.

If this is the top search result for the Cosmos now, I feel it's a great service to us. It's much more balanced.

Last edited:
Top Bottom