Tuning Down A Full Step On A Concert-Scale Ukulele

Bill Sheehan

Reaction score
Hi friends, I have had good results in the past with tuning a tenor-scale ukulele down a full step, to "f Bb D G", using Martin M-620 tenor-scale strings. I liked the tone and the feel it produced on the tenor uke in that lower tuning. I am wondering if any of you might have tried doing the same thing on a CONCERT-scale ukulele, and if so, what kind of results you had? Thanks!

Bill, sorry I can't answer your question as I don't play concert, but I'm gonna try your tuning on my tenor. Thanks for the post!

You bet, John. I know this isn't very well defined, but the thing I liked about that lower tuning on the tenor was that it made everything feel more relaxed, more "jazzy", if you will. And it makes things a little easier on the vocal cords if you're singing. I would imagine that using Martin M-620's (designed for tenor) on a concert uke ought to work fine in the lower tuning; I'm not sure if there will be issues with the tension feeling too loose, but I'll probably just give it a try and see what happens...

How would you play some of your chords like f? You start it on 3rd fret second string?

If using Bill's tuning of F-Bb-D-G, you could play an F chord this way: 4th string open (because it's an F), third string second fret (that's a C), second string third fret (that's an F), and first string second fret (that's an A).

In general, if you're switching from G-C-E-A tuning to F-Bb-D-G tuning, you would move each chord two frets higher up the neck.

Thank you so much, guys, for all of your thoughts. To be honest, I'm a non-reader, and I pretty much do solo outings (with uke and voice), so whether I tune downward a step, or upward a step (from "standard"), I still play the same chord shapes that I would use in standard. In the first situation, my singing will therefore be in a lower range; in the second situation, my singing will be in a higher range and will require a little more effort-- but my chord formations on the uke won't be any different. I guess I'm lucky that I'm able to manage the variations in vocal range without too much trouble. I tend to get infatuated with a different tuning every couple of weeks. I'll be fine with "g C E A" for a while, and then I'll get the bug to go up to "a D F# B"; and soon I'll decide to relax things down to "f Bb D G" for that more laid back vibe. But in all of those situations, I'll use the same chord shapes across the board, regardless of which of the 3 tunings I'm using.

It is fun trying out different tunings, and I'm digging the F Bb D G on my tenor. Have you retuned your concert yet to this tuning?

Hi friends, I have had good results in the past with tuning a tenor-scale ukulele down a full step, to "f Bb D G", using Martin M-620 tenor-scale strings. I liked the tone and the feel it produced on the tenor uke in that lower tuning. I am wondering if any of you might have tried doing the same thing on a CONCERT-scale ukulele, and if so, what kind of results you had? Thanks!

Hi Bill,

I was interested to see your post because I've had great results doing this with the Kiwaya. I found the sweet spot to be even a half step lower than you did. It really brought out the woody sound of an all mahogany concert.

Last edited:
It is fun trying out different tunings, and I'm digging the F Bb D G on my tenor. Have you retuned your concert yet to this tuning?

Actually, John, I haven't tried the lower tuning on a concert-scale uke yet; I have one on order from The Ukulele Site (an Islander), but I'm not expecting it for several more days. I'll be looking forward to seeing how it likes the lower tuning. I had a nice experience a couple of years ago, where a buddy and I played for an open-house at a small-town hardware store; I used a tenor uke tuned down to "f Bb D G", and he put a capo on the 3rd fret of his acoustic six-string, and we were then able to build our songs around the same chord shapes, which helped us as we improvised our way through them!

Last edited:
Hi Bill,

I was interested to see your post because I've had great results doing this with the Kiwaya. I found the sweet spot to be even a half step lower than you did. It really brought out the woody sound of an all mahogany concert.

Thanks, Etudes, that is interesting, and probably goes to show that each instrument has its own sweet spot. Now, your Kiwaya is a concert, is that right? And do you use standard soprano/concert strings, or tenor-scale strings?

Thanks, Etudes, that is interesting, and probably goes to show that each instrument has its own sweet spot. Now, your Kiwaya is a concert, is that right? And do you use standard soprano/concert strings, or tenor-scale strings?

Yeah I put soprano/ concert worth browns- high G. I made a recording with it over a year ago and to this day it's still tuned e A C# F#

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm4Vdstu6P4

Yeah I put soprano/ concert worth browns- high G. I made a recording with it over a year ago and to this day it's still tuned e A C# F#

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm4Vdstu6P4

That sounds really nice! Beautiful composition too! I'll be anxious to try a "lower-than-standard" tuning on my concert Islander when it arrives! Thanks again for your input!

Last edited:
I tuned soprano ukes down 2 full steps to be able to play with a clarinet without transposing.

They sounded OK.

Well my friend's teacher actually wrote it out ukulele chords transposed for a song for her , but they were pretty much unplayable, at least by me.

I'm never quite understood why we have transposing instruments anyway.

Top Bottom