Free courses

Joyful Uke

Reaction score
Just in case someone might not know about this, but be interested:
There are various free courses online, like from Coursera:
https://www.coursera.org

Today seems to be the start day for classes, (though at times in the past, you could start at any time, so I don't know if that really matters), and they do have a number of music related classes. Some of the courses are fun, some aren't, but for free, you can sign up and decide what you think.

I was looking for a fun distraction from some upcoming things, so signed up for the course on the music of The Beatles, (again - can never get enough of The Beatles, LOL), and some of the other music related courses. There are music theory classes, composition classes, and much more. And, of course, lots of classes unrelated to music, too.

Instructors are from around the world.

I signed up for more courses than I could probably handle, but since it's free, I'll see what sticks, and have fun.

No ukulele specific classes. Many business courses on site.

No ukulele specific classes. Many business courses on site.

Music specific courses, though.
IIRC, some people here were interested in music theory, for example and there are some free courses on that.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it, in case someone was interested.

Music specific courses, though.
IIRC, some people here were interested in music theory, for example and there are some free courses on that.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it, in case someone was interested.

Thanks! I took a course from there when in grad school but forgot about the site. Thanks for the reminder!

Thanks for the pointer! My wife's been doing some mathematics and data analysis classes through Coursera. I never thought to look for music. Looks like some great potential there!

My Wife has done quite a lot of the Coursera free courses.

Overall very good experience on the Art, Archaeology and History courses she has done.

I did start one on Photography but it turned out to be very basic.

Just in case someone might not know about this, but be interested:
There are various free courses online, like from Coursera:
https://www.coursera.org

Today seems to be the start day for classes, (though at times in the past, you could start at any time, so I don't know if that really matters), and they do have a number of music related classes. Some of the courses are fun, some aren't, but for free, you can sign up and decide what you think.

I was looking for a fun distraction from some upcoming things, so signed up for the course on the music of The Beatles, (again - can never get enough of The Beatles, LOL), and some of the other music related courses. There are music theory classes, composition classes, and much more. And, of course, lots of classes unrelated to music, too.

Instructors are from around the world.

I signed up for more courses than I could probably handle, but since it's free, I'll see what sticks, and have fun.

I created an account and tried to sign up but I was given a 30 trial followed by $39/month. Maybe some courses are free. Mine certainly wasn't. ;-(

I created an account and tried to sign up but I was given a 30 trial followed by $39/month. Maybe some courses are free. Mine certainly wasn't. ;-(

I hate it when that happens. I sign up for something that is free, but I have to give a CC number - just in case. Or I have to sign up - for free - but I can cancel within a certain time.

I hate it when that happens. I sign up for something that is free, but I have to give a CC number - just in case. Or I have to sign up - for free - but I can cancel within a certain time.

I didn't have to give a credit card, or pay anything, and signed up for a few courses.

They do keep popping in a screen that tries to convince you to pay, but if you opt out of getting a certificate of completion, it should be free. If you clicked on wanting the certificate, (which they make too easy to do, even if you don't mean to), you do have to pay.

I didn't have to give a credit card, or pay anything, and signed up for a few courses.

They do keep popping in a screen that tries to convince you to pay, but if you opt out of getting a certificate of completion, it should be free. If you clicked on wanting the certificate, (which they make too easy to do, even if you don't mean to), you do have to pay.

Clever of them, but I guess that certificate is important to some people - for work, or whatever.

Clever of them, but I guess that certificate is important to some people - for work, or whatever.

Yup. Lots of people need the certificate of completion for work (especially for the business courses).

-----

For an additional set of course options, more general music courses can be found for free on EdX (a very similar site to Coursera). Basically a bunch of big-name schools (MIT, Berkeley, Harvard, etc) had some free open courses online on their own sites and decided to combine them all in one site for people. Again, you don't need to pay if you don't want/need the certificate. The music courses can be found here: https://www.edx.org/course/subject/music

Many businesses will reimburse some employees for all or part of courses they take to expand their knowledge that relate to their position. A certificate of completion is required to get the reimbursement.

Others take courses to include them on their CV (resumé). They like to have the certificate to prove that they took the course. Though I never had anyone ask for proof of the various courses I completed over the years.

Top Bottom