Paisen Rosewood Concert Ukulele - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
Tell you what, at first glance I thought this one was a real looker, but looking at it more closely there's not a lot I personally like about it. There's a fairly recent thread on this forum discussing rope binding, and while this uke doesn't have rope binding per se, I think it suffers from the exact same problem many other ukes with rope binding do. The contrast with the colour of rosewood is too much for me. In fact, the binding looks like a zipper, not a fan at all. And I have to agree on the soundhole decoration. Derivative and not attractive in anyway for me. What I do like about the looks is the dark rosewood, even though it's only laminate. I'm a sucker for the dark chocolaty colour of rosewood, and I especially like that the fretboard matches the body perfectly. Judging by the video, I didn't think the sound was that bad for a fairly cheap laminate uke but it's certainly one-dimensional. Considering all that, I'm surprised this one got as high a score as it did.

Yeah - came out higher than i expected. But then.. the build is 'generally ok' and I do like the dark looks too. The price also drags the score up. Not a recommendation though.

Baz, I almost have a compliant. You’ve become such a standard part of my uke grazing that I felt your pain on this one. Maybe you should put some kind of warning label. The only thing is I’d probably get sucked in to seeing what had done it to you.

I think I have to think about this.

I must have gotten a better sample. There are absolutely no bridge issues with mine, and no evidence of excess glue on the linings. Also, the top and back are bookmatched perfectly. Tone is subjective, but I would rate mine better than average with enough low end (for a concert) to satisfy my ear.

Of course, noting the country of origin, variability from sample to sample is unfortunately to be expected.

Baz, I almost have a compliant. You’ve become such a standard part of my uke grazing that I felt your pain on this one. Maybe you should put some kind of warning label. The only thing is I’d probably get sucked in to seeing what had done it to you.

I think I have to think about this.

Kind of like those labels they put on cigarette packs? How about this?
Photo on 26-01-2016 at 20.20.jpg

I must have gotten a better sample. There are absolutely no bridge issues with mine, and no evidence of excess glue on the linings. Also, the top and back are bookmatched perfectly. Tone is subjective, but I would rate mine better than average with enough low end (for a concert) to satisfy my ear.

Of course, noting the country of origin, variability from sample to sample is unfortunately to be expected.

To be honest, the scruffy bridge, poor bookmatch and glue inside really didn't take the score down that much. The sharp fret ends, narrow nut, terrible tuners and lazy derivative design did though.

But yes, tone is subjective.

Another good review Baz!
I Cringe whenever I hear or read, "Amazon only."
That's an absolute deal killer for me.

Another good review Baz!
I Cringe whenever I hear or read, "Amazon only."
That's an absolute deal killer for me.

And for many - i'd rather not review them.. but.. I did this as a favour as had a lot of requests to take a look. It's been sat with me for three months.. Wanted to get it out of the way!

To be honest, the scruffy bridge, poor bookmatch and glue inside really didn't take the score down that much. The sharp fret ends, narrow nut, terrible tuners and lazy derivative design did though.

But yes, tone is subjective.

Yes, they are cheap tuners. Mine aren't wobbly or causing buzz like you demonstrated in your video, but I attribute that to luck of the draw. No sharp frets here, either. The main point I'm trying to make is that a sample of one can be misleading. Thank you for the review.

Yes, they are cheap tuners. Mine aren't wobbly or causing buzz like you demonstrated in your video, but I attribute that to luck of the draw. No sharp frets here, either. The main point I'm trying to make is that a sample of one can be misleading. Thank you for the review.

Yes, of course it can and I make that point in many reviews.

However.. what am I supposed to do? Ignore those issues on the basis that someone else may have a good example?

However.. what am I supposed to do? Ignore those issues on the basis that someone else may have a good example?

I'm not suggesting that at all. Just adding my own experience alongside yours for the benefit of others.

Yes, of course it can and I make that point in many reviews.

Some might say that favorable reviews are slanted because the reviewer gets "pick of the litter" instruments. Others might say that less favorable reviews are slanted because the reviewer got an "unlucky-bad" instrument.

Confucious say: People like reviews that support their own opinions, and dislike reviews that run contrary to their own opinions. Kung hee fat choy, I am very wise boy!

What I try to do with the 'unlucky bad' ones i get is distinguish between the issues that are fixable and those that are less so.

I tend not to get too fazed by an instrument arriving with high action, or even sharp frets because they can be fixed easily. I do get more concerned by badly set bridges, bridges in the wrong place and that kind of thing.

Both are examples of poor quality control of course.

Hi Barry, two points:

I'm curious at your description of the sound hole design of these ukes as a "vine / oak leaf ". I always thought it was a fish. I don't see the leave there.

Second, there are a number of Chinese ukes with this same model. A couple of years ago I bought one from Caramel because they said it was solid rosewood. For what I can see through the several mini sound holes, it is solid wood, rather thick, but solid. I say this, just to add to the piece that you could get a solid wood one.

Thanks for your reviews

Eugenio

Hi Barry, two points:

I'm curious at your description of the sound hole design of these ukes as a "vine / oak leaf ". I always thought it was a fish. I don't see the leave there.

Second, there are a number of Chinese ukes with this same model. A couple of years ago I bought one from Caramel because they said it was solid rosewood. For what I can see through the several mini sound holes, it is solid wood, rather thick, but solid. I say this, just to add to the piece that you could get a solid wood one.

Thanks for your reviews

Eugenio

The original concept was indeed leaves. Loook close at these and you see they ARE indeed leaves. Paisen have also contacted me since and referred to them as leaves.

And yes - there are actually LOADS of others (My count got to at least 8) that use similar designs. Paisen said my comment that it was prevalent was 'unfair'.... I beg to differ.

Top Bottom