UkeRepublic Disappointment

Status
Not open for further replies.

JesusVonMises

Reaction score
Just received a Kala KA-SA-B baritone uke from UkeRepublic. This instrument has an incredible sound, loooong sustain, but when I unboxed it the action was so high I could have stored a small family between the strings and the fretboard. Not a horrible situation, I lowered the action immediately, but very disappointing as I bought from Uke Republic because they 'supposedly' would have the uke all set up before shipping.

Did you request a special string height? If so, they, indeed, have fallen short and need a good spanking. As a former music shop owner we never touched the action until the customer indicated exactly how they wanted it. Otherwise, you often end up doing the job twice! For example, the delicate fingerpicking dude wants the strings to nearly lay on the frets whereas another likes it high so they can slam the strings. I like my 'ukulele set to 3mm above the 12th fret on the low G side and a wee bit lower under the A. My wife likes it set to 2.5mm–I have to hold back when I play her instrument or it buzzes like crazy.

Last edited:
It sounds as if you requested no specifics on the set-up/string height. If you didn't request a specific string height then you're most likely going to get what was set at the factory. Unless the action was so high you could hang laundry on it, the seller will leave it alone. Thus your problem is with Kala, not with Uke Republic.

Did you contact Uke Republic first before voicing your complaint here? My experience is that action from the factory is set within limits but on the higher side. Let the seller know your concerns. Also measure it to verify. I had purchased a uke from one of the UU popular sellers and thought the action had been high. However upon verifying the measurements I was mistaken and the action was at 2.5mm.

It sounds as if you requested no specifics on the set-up/string height. If you didn't request a specific string height then you're most likely going to get what was set at the factory. Unless the action was so high you could hang laundry on it, the seller will leave it alone. Thus your problem is with Kala, not with Uke Republic.

I don't know if Uke Republic advertises doing a setup on each uke, but if it does, 2.5 - 3 mm seems to be standard. I've bought from Mim and HMS that do setups, and the ukes have arrived setup very nicely.

I don't know if Uke Republic advertises doing a setup on each uke, but if it does, 2.5 - 3 mm seems to be standard. I've bought from Mim and HMS that do setups, and the ukes have arrived setup very nicely.

They do:

"OUR SETUP
Buy your ukuleles with confidence with UKE Republic! We have been setting up ukuleles since 2007. Every one of our instruments receives a thorough quality control inspection and professional ​setup for optimum sound and playability. Also, if you have a specific setup request such as low action (perfect for children, beginners, and hand or finger issues), left hand player, or higher action (perfect for the pro player that wants more volume) please let us know when ordering. Just make a note in the comments section of your order."

I know I like low action. A setting of 2.5 mm at the 12th fret would be my maximum height so if 2.5 - 3 mm is standard, the majority of standard is too high for me. I've purchased 2 ukes from vendors who did not do setups. I had to take both to a music shop to get the action lowered. The first uke I ordered from Mim, I did not specify what kind of action I wanted. When it arrived it was certainly playable but I had to have the action lowered for me to be able to play it comfortably. I didn't blame Mim. I blamed me for not telling her what I wanted.

I just took delivery on a Flight Tenor, from Uke Republic. Requested low action 2.50mm. My initial vision said, “It’s too high.” After playing for an hour or so, I realized Mike set it up perfectly.

As a side note: This is my first uke with a low G, Worth Brown strings. Double wow wow. Simply perfect.

Good luck, OP, with yours.

I just took delivery on a Flight Tenor, from Uke Republic. Requested low action 2.50mm. My initial vision said, “It’s too high.” After playing for an hour or so, I realized Mike set it up perfectly.

Nice to hear. I have been contemplating buying my next uke from UR. I would not have thought about specifying the action height without reading this thread. I’m a 3mm uker, myself. I get too much string buzz if is lower than that.

Nice to hear. I have been contemplating buying my next uke from UR. I would not have thought about specifying the action height without reading this thread. I’m a 3mm uker, myself. I get too much string buzz if is lower than that.

I like 2.5mm because of arthritis in my fingers, both hands. Three surgeries, one artificial knuckle. A light touch is all I need, as I play out with electric.

That said, if I could get by with 3.00mm, I would bang away.

Oh, to be 40 again.

Really hard to comment on this thread without the OP telling us how high the action actually IS.

As others have said, Uke Republic WILL make adjustments if you ask. If you don't ask, a ukulele that arrives between 2.5mm and 3mm at the 12th is not flawed.

What was the action?

I've never bought from this vendor, so no personal experience there. That said, I'm not really sure what you're hoping to accomplish with this thread. I also wonder if you contacted them first with your gripe. I agree with others who say if you didn't specify the action height you wanted there is no reason to complain. They can't be mind readers. Everyone has their own preferences.

I've never bought from this vendor, so no personal experience there. That said, I'm not really sure what you're hoping to accomplish with this thread. I also wonder if you contacted them first with your gripe. I agree with others who say if you didn't specify the action height you wanted there is no reason to complain. They can't be mind readers. Everyone has their own preferences.

I have seen this in a number of instances- with vendors, luthiers, private sellers. I see some threads where the person is making a case for issues with the instrument, communication, shipping, etc. I wonder if there was a conversation that took place prior to this posting. I have only heard positive things about Uke Republic, so I would expect he would be eager to make his clients happy.

Last edited:
I've purchased two tenors from Uke Republic. For the first one I just requested a low action because I had the beginnings of arthritis in my hands and wanted an easy barre on the first fret. They did a good job of accommodating me.

For the second one, I knew that I liked a height of about 1mm at the first fret and 2.3mm at the 12th with a plain Low-G set of strings. (I have since asked for 0.5 to 0.7mm at the first.) Their setup was spot on.

I don't know if they level the frets like Mim does.

OP it looks like your first and only post on here was to complain about a very decent Uke dealer...doesn’t seem to be in the spirit of UU at all, and not sure what you’re really expecting from this thread. I’ve also had great experiences with Uke Republic. I bought a Makala Shark for my 3 year old so he could have a real, set up instrument to play (and leave mama’s alone) The set up was great and easy to play. I like 3mm at the 12th, personally. As others have mentioned, it’s important to let the dealer know what you want.

The issue here is a misunderstanding of the term "setup" and I believe communication between vendor and buyer would have provided an amicable solution. Stating dissatisfaction with the vendor should not be done publicly but in a private manner, therefore I'm closing this thread. Thanks everyone for their support and tidbits of info regarding setups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom