Next on the cards- Selmer/Maccaferri style uke

Beau Hannam Ukuleles

Reaction score
Sorting out my next build- a Maccaferri style uke.
For comparison- pic shows Tenor, Maccaferri plan, Concert.

Macc body is 12" long (like a tenor) and 10" wide (like a baritone).

Indian Rosewood back/sides and spruce top with 5 fans, (Which will be radial, not ladder braced like those shown in this scaled down guitar plan).

Plus, a cool book a mate gave me :)

pics 437.jpgpics 447.jpgpics 448.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds good!

I am in love with the Maccaferri style-- can't wait to see it!

I regularly play SelMac style guitars, so I am watching with great interest

SINGS:
"Ooh, ooh, ooh, you bring out bring out the Django
In me, yes you do!!!!"

I'll be following this thread with interest too!

After I saw your post....... played with this a little, while I was away from the shop this afternoon. We don't have your guitar model shown drawn but we have the other style........ Be glad to play with this a little more and can give you a little more detail/dimensions if this will help.

Blessings,

Kevin

Gypise Style Uke.JPG

Last edited:
One of the best sounding Tony Graziano ukes I've played was a SelMac style tenor. It sounded just fantastic.

One of the best sounding Tony Graziano ukes I've played was a SelMac style tenor. It sounded just fantastic.

Yes I tried it too..it was nice!

Good luck Beau. Seems like there are a few fans of the shape and it's always good to distinguish yourself from the others.

Good luck Beau. Seems like there are a few fans of the shape and it's always good to distinguish yourself from the others.

Hey Daniel..

you hear of Dennis Lake/Po Maina guitars/ukulele...he has been building ukes like this for 6 years now..i think he on the Big Island

Hey Daniel..

you hear of Dennis Lake/Po Maina guitars/ukulele...he has been building ukes like this for 6 years now..i think he on the Big Island

Len, thanks for sharing...I just checked his website and he got some talented players endorsing his ukes. Double puka and the island jazz styles are nice.

So many talented builders out there that I don't know about

Last edited:
So you curving the front before you joint it like a Mac?

Pete-
As far as I cant tell, no uke maker is joining tops like the original guitar tops were joined (like a European mandolin). I have seen a Selmer guitar copy professionally and meticulously made like the originals were, with bending/kinking the top halves separately then joining the angled kinked halves.

I thought about doing that (I can use some pre made jointing jigs) and decided not to as I think it will just stiffen the top up way to much. I have discussed this with the customer and the Django sound I then considered joining THEN kinking the lower part of the top behind the bridge in a more simple way. Not sure how glue would hold up to this though but it may work- Ill do some scrap tests as ive never had a reason to try such a thing.

This also leads somewhat to the bridge type. i really like those Selmer tail pieces but i think having those 4 strings leading to the back of the uke would be not so great, so im going with a normal bridge but with an idealised Selmer wings look. Having said that this Graziano fellow makes the tail piece version look pretty good.

I'm doing the oval hole btw

I'm actually wanting to build 4 or 5 of these all identical but with different bracing. 5 fan, ladder (like the guitars), lattice, X and radial. Any thoughts???

After I saw your post....... played with this a little, while I was away from the shop this afternoon. We don't have your guitar model shown drawn but we have the other style........ Be glad to play with this a little more and can give you a little more detail/dimensions if this will help.

View attachment 54292

Thanks Kevin- i think im going to go with the 10" lower bout which i came to simply by reducing the guitar plans until the body length was 12"- looking at the guitars, they are a strange somewhat squat shape so i was reluctant to bring in the LB to 9". I may change my mind but the 10" will fit into a standard baritone case.- the waist is at about the same place.

I hadn't seen that website Rick, thanks- his stuff looks good.

Oh, my, that's pretty sweet....

selmer_uke.jpg

Thanks for posting the Graziano..

Tony very underrated builder..he has been building for over 30 years..great journeyman craftsmen..has many one off ukes,if you ever get a chance to go to his shop he has pictures of all his ukes,some wonderful looking ukuleles..
the finish on his ukes done by Addam Stark also in Santa Cruz(his shop right next door to Rick Turner)

You can ask Graham MacDonald in Canberra about doing bent tops Beau. Or Nick Oliver over in Christchurch. Far more experience on bending tops than anyone else I know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom