Outdoor Ukulele Green Soprano at Song Circle

Uncle Rod Higuchi

Reaction score
This is not a technical review, but an update on a Green Soprano Outdoor Ukulele that I've have for just about a week.

I took it to our weekly song circle and it performed very well.
I led some songs and was able to get things started OK, but it is not the loudest uke
by any means. I just strummed 'harder' to get a bit more volume, but
once we got started I was able to settle back and simply enjoy the song
with the other strummers :)

I must admit that during louder songs I have to agree with several reviewers
that at times I almost couldn't hear myself playing the uke.
In other words I did get the feeling of being 'drowned out' at times,
not often, but in the interest of full disclosure, 'at times'.

All in all, my experiences with the Outdoor Soprano have been very
enjoyable and rewarding... so much so, that I ordered a Carbon Soprano
which should be arriving next week :)

I did not order it to do any comparisons, but just to see if it would be louder
for song circle song leading. I suppose that is a comparison of sorts :)

I'll try to provide an update if I remember.

meanwhile, I hope all of you have a favorite uke to play today!

Last edited:
Thanks Rod! Will look forward to your further observations! Today I get to play for the folks at an Alzheimer's care facility; gonna take my trusty Martin S-0 soprano!

Yay!

I used to play for the residents of a Memory Wing, weekly for a while.

I felt comfortable because I didn't have to come up with too many sets
of songs. They seemed to enjoy whatever was being presented to them :)

I looked at the gig as 'practice' so I could try some new songs as well
as old favorites! [I could also tell stale jokes and they still enjoyed them!]

keep uke'in',

There's a Hawaiian Music Jam tomorrow at Kona Kitchen Seattle, if they open as planned from
the remodeling they are doing right now.

I'm planning to bring my Green OU Soprano to the session to lead some singing and to see
how it fares in the process. Wukulele is loaning me her OU Moonshine Tenor and I may bring
that along as well.

I find the tenor scale a bit long for my shorter fingers, but it will be a good trial as I do enjoy
the volume and more resonant sound of the tenor voice with its longer strings and larger body.

Can't wait for the Carbon Soprano so I can try it out next Wed at our STRUM weekly song circle.

til then, keep uke'in',

Oh, and Happy Veteran's Day to all of you who served on our behalf!
we appreciate your sacrifices and terms of service.

Hey Rod, hope the Music Jam went well today!! And I'll "second" your Motion extending gratitude and pride in all of our Veterans, living and deceased! We appreciate you more than you will ever know!

Actually, the Jam would have been great, however, Kona Kitchen is doing some remodeling and was closed
due to unforeseen situations and may not open again until this Friday the 15th.

this means STRUM will meet at the Easy Monkey again on Wed night (6-8p) and hope to be back at Kona
next Wed (20th). Lord willing, I will be in HNL for the Ukulele Guild of Hawaii (UGH?) event at the Bishop
Museum featuring world famous Luthiers and their custom models :)

Got a strap and used it on the OU Tenor. What a game changer, so much easier to play the Tenor now that
I don't have to worry about its size or weight. That's getting me interested in obtaining a Blue Tenor to
use in my classes. I'm hoping the contrast between my fingers and the Blue fingerboard will make it easier
for students to see what I'm doing and where I'm placing my fingers. [am I justifying a future purchase?]

anyway, keep uke'in',

Got the chance to bring Wukulele's OU Moonshine Tenor to our weekly song circle and led a few songs.
Again, in a loud jam, it can be challenging to hear the Outdoor Ukes, both Tenor and Soprano... unfortunately.

I still like both OU ukes and I feel much more comfortable with the Soprano. I also wouldn't hesitate using
either to lead a song circle, even with its obvious limitations. The key would be to loudly begin the songs
and not expect to be heard above the group once things get going.

Just my 2 cents :)

Top Bottom