Season 369: My Old School Daze .. PLUS

hendulele

Check your fleas
UU VIP
Reaction score

Welcome to Season 369 of the Ukulele!

The theme: A few weeks from now I’ll celebrate the 40th anniversary of my graduation from the University of North Carolina.

So the theme this week: My Old School Daze.

I want to hear songs from the years I was in college: 1975 – 1979.

Any song written or recorded from Jan. 1, 1975 – December 31, 1979 qualifies, so you have a lot to work with.

Originals are welcome. Trends you recall from that period? Something special you want to recount? Have at it.

Please watch and comment on others’ videos. We really appreciate it.

Because our Raleigh Uke Jam has a big date at a local street fair this week, and I’m in charge of keeping the gig together (what were they thinking?), I’m going to place a three-song limit for now, which I may waive if time allows.

But wait! There’s more!

Yes, since we haven’t had a season commemorating Rami Malek’s fantastic, award-winning performance as Freddie Mercury in Bohemian Rhapsody, I’ll add an extra song.

If you want to play another song, bring me anything from Queen. You don't have to reach the three-song '70s threshold to bring some Queen.

So, up to three songs from my old school days, one from Queen. And there will be prizes, most likely University of North Carolina paraphernalia.

:rulez:

1) Starts at 00:01 Sunday March 10 Hawaiian time; ends at 23:59 Sunday March 17.

2) The ukulele should be featured, but you can supplement with other instruments.

3) Collaborations are welcome.

4) Entries must be original for this season and should indicate Season 369 in the video or on the post.

5) Unless I waive the song limit, please put extras on the Island.

Remember, pa's terrific, naysaying Season 368 continues!

Thank you for listening, enjoy the season, and go Tar Heels!

PLAYLIST

Last edited:
:rock: GREAT era of music here!!!!!!!! so much to choose from! i'll try and bring songs that were big in MY school days (primary and just into secondary school, for the years in question) here in the UK. some truly fabulous songs loomed really large back then! long story short - YAY!!!!! :D

5) Unless I waive the song limit, please put extras on the Island.

Sorry for the newbie question but I’ve seen references to the island before, but I don’t know what that means. Can someone please enlighten me?

Sorry for the newbie question but I’ve seen references to the island before, but I don’t know what that means. Can someone please enlighten me?

There's an on going thread call the "Island of Misfit Seasonistas" where people are welcome to post songs they've been working on that don't fit the season but they've been dying to share, or Do fit the season but they've already exceeded the song limit.

Great theme Rick!

Sorry, Rick........ but I may be too old to remember that far back ;)...... it's alright for these mere youngsters......primary school indeed! :rofl::eek:ld::music:

Only one place to start for me. Sex Pistols

Such is the power of this theme I've already recorded my three songs Rick. Do you want them in a job lot or spread through the week?

This was a new one (to me) I found today.A John Prine from 1978.A three chord and the truther.
Warning. I've learned to crop and zoom on my video software.So there a couple of gratuitous big noggin close ups!
A clever theme Rick.A nice amount of limitation I reckon.

Only one place to start for me. Sex Pistols

Such is the power of this theme I've already recorded my three songs Rick. Do you want them in a job lot or spread through the week?

Great start to the week, Ryan! You vpcan post all three right away or spread them out, your choice! Thanks!

For Season of the Ukulele 369, songs from 1975-79 or by the band Queen are requested. here's my favorite Queen song, "Killer Queen", played on concert ukulele with singing, and overdubs of Ubass, secondary vocals, and brief tenor ukulele lead.

So sorry I have been AWOL from the Seasons for the last 12 or so, and it's likely that I'll be a rare contributor in the future - life has become complicated and has gotten in the way of having the time and inspiration. I love this community though, and will try to drop in from time to time.

I had the time though last night and thanks to Rick's theme also the inspiration, as I've just recently worked this one up:

I've been wanting to do a song off this album, and now is the perfect time, so thanks Rick for that! This is off Jim Lauderdale's debut album from 1979, which was titled Jim Lauderdale and Roland white, just one hitch though, it never saw the light of day until 2018, it got shelved, then lost, then was finally found and released last year. Really fun time capsule of early Lauderdale. This is one of the two songs he wrote on the album . Had fun trying it out.

Here's my Queen one. It's inspired by a 1977 live version that got released last year as part of a studio session compilation. If you search Spotify for We Will Rock You (Fast) then you'll get it. Imagine they used this arrangement quite a lot live.

Mines not a straight copy but in the same vein

towards the end of the era in question this week, we saw the rise of :bowdown: synth pop, and i don't think i was the only kid gawping in amazement at these guys on top of the pops and going "WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"... tubeway army and the amazing gary numan song "are 'friends' electric?"

Hi, Rick and thanks for four years of Seventies songs to choose from ... and QUEEN!!! I don't think you will be expecting to see this old Ink Spots number figuring in this week's choices, but it was a big hit in the U.K. in 1975, when it spent three weeks at No.1. The 1975 version was recorded by Windsor Davies and Don Estelle, as the characters they portrayed in a very popular sitcom of the time called "It Ain't Half Hot Mum", based on the exploits of a British Artillery Concert Party in India, towards the end of the Second World War. (I doubt that anyone on the other side of the Pond has got the faintest idea what I'm talking about!)

Recently I've been trying to learn some fingerstyle stuff so maybe someday I can do something more than just strumming chords. I was able to come up with something a little extra for this song. My camera has been developing some really annoying internal noise that gets into the audio, so I tried using my phone, but I don't have a tripod mount for it, so the angle is weird. Probably would have been more interesting to see my fingers instead of the side of my head.

I spent about 3-4 hours on figuring out the instrumental parts yesterday. I need to write out the tab so I have a written record of what I did before I forget it. Unfortunately, I still can't quite stick the ending, but I was using the reentrant tuning to avoid playing the same string twice in a row, if possible, as close to campanella style as I could get.

There were a couple of mockingbirds who sang for me, also.

thank you for hosting this week, Rick.
this, from Fleetwood Mac's Rumours LP (1977)
still to me one of the greatest rekkids ever made

Top Bottom