How long can the excuse be used?

fisher00

Reaction score
OK. I've now been 'playing' the uke for 2 and a bit years. I tell people I'm not very good 'cos I'm starting to learn the uke. In my mind, after 2 years of learning I should be pretty good by now. I'm not. I am better than when I started, but still very much a learner. So just how long can we hide behind poor playing with the "I'm learning the uke" tag?

I am in the same boat and hoping it lasts at least a couple more years. My original plan was to not tell people until I was good enough to tell them, but friends of friends saw me at a uke club meeting and put a damper on that idea.

I'm in the same boat too. I've been playing for about a year and a half, and I think I should be much farther along than I am. I keep telling myself that it's my old age that's slowing me down, but I dunno. The ukulele is much different than the other instruments that I play. I don't think it took so long to learn them, but they were all wind instruments. The ukulele is with the fingers, and I didn't do all that well with the piano either.

I guess we'll just have to learn to be more patient. :eek:ld:

Who you are comparing yourself to, though?

Are there people who are much better than you? Of course. Are there players who progress much faster than you? Absolutely! And are there people who have given up long before they got to the point where you're at now? Yes, and there are many, many more of those than there are people who are better than you!

If you enjoy yourself and you notice that you improve (or even if you stagnate and still have fun), that's all that (should) matters. Presumably, all of us here are too old and clumsy to ever become an Ukulele star, so the only thing that matters is that you're having a good time making noise! Expectations can be poisonous, and comparisons to others are even worse -- at least that it's how it is for me. It doesn't feel good, so I avoid doing it. :) You're better today than you were a month ago!

After 18 months of playing, I'm pretty happy with how I'm doing (I've played guitar for 50 years). I'm 99.9% strum, with the idea that some day I'll learn involved finger picking of specific songs. I'm a member of a strum and sing senior group and playing along with them has made me improve a lot, some are better than me, many are not. It helps keep me in perspective.

I was a member of an advanced instrumental group (that also did some vocals), but I would get so stressed out trying to keep up that ultimately realized I bit off more than I could chew and dropped out. I'm much happier strumming along with the other group.

Cheers! I appreciate the responses - its all good. Another lesson tomorrow night will hopefully 'flick the switch!' :)

You might not be as good as you think you should be or as good as you want to be but you are better than you use to be. Progress can be so slow that we forgot how incompetent we were at the beginning. We must not be in a race, that only leads to disaster. I am guessing non of us are getting as good as we would like as fast as we would like. We are all "learners" and will always remain that way.

To be an artist a musician you have realize you are one despite or because of your abilities.

Instruments and artist tools are just that. Tools so you can express what you feel see and hear.

It is said that to become a master of any skill you need an average of 10,000 hours of practice.

After seriously studying classical guitar for over 6 years Ive come to realize the points above are totally valid

But to sum it up here is a quote I came up with that I try to live by: "Instead of anticipating the goal, learn to enjoy the Journey for this is where we spend 99.9% of our time.
The Journey is the reward..."

Practice consistently, don't be too hard to yourself, and enjoy the journey.
You might want to video yourself from time to time and it will be easier to see your progress over time.

Last of all you don't need to explain youself or make excuses for your playing to others. Others see you as a musician you need to see that too and just play.

One difference between the people that play and the ones we admire on stage is that a good performer does make mistakes but he or she does NOT stumble over them they simply keep going and make it part of the fabric of music.

I invite you to visit my YouTube channel in my signature below. When I recorded many of the early videos all I could focus was on doing a perfect take and see the mistAkes. I now record with less than 5 takes and am much more comfortable mistakes and all. And now I appreciate and enjoy more seeing my early attempts.

I took the time to write all this because we all go through this. Yes even the pros.

While I know I'm far from where I wish I were in my music journey I know I will never stop learning but appreciate my humble efforts along the way.

Best of luck on your journey
Ivan

Last edited:
It's not a race and it's not a competition. No matter where you are at in your skill level there will always be something to learn, and something to get better at. We will always be students in that regard. So just keep having fun, which it sounds like you are already doing.

The question is not how good you are, but how much enjoyment are you getting out of playing the instrument.

"Good" is a subjective rating, and we all have personal definitions of what "good" is - and it's a floating standard.

Enjoyment is what keeps the amateur going, and that too is a personal thing.

So, if playing the instrument brings a smile to your face and some joy overall, who cares what others think?

The question is not how good you are, but how much enjoyment are you getting out of playing the instrument.

:agree: Well said!

My Ukulele was a gift from the company I worked for and I have hardly put it down since it arrived. After spending a Saturday playing all day I wrote him an email and passed on this . Never has a present brought so much joy to one man.

Smaltzy maybe....but it doesn't matter how good you are or how good you get. Does it bring you joy is the question to ask yourself.

PS. practice lots and the joy increases...

I don't know how good I am. I don't impress myself with my ukulele playing abilities. I certainly don't consider myself a master of the instrument in any way. But when I'm jamming with other players, and not just ukulele players, but guitar players, plena, whatever, I feel like I'm holding my own. I don't feel like I'm a stand out, but I feel like I can hang in there. People seem to enjoy it when I play for them. So I don't know if that makes me good, or not.

I think that a lot of people set their sights too high. Sometimes so high that they probably are never going to satisfy themselves. I think that a lot of people who think they aren't good ukulele players are actually pretty good ukulele players, they just have their expectations up there at the Jake level. You have to be realistic about yourself. I'm never going to be a great and famous ukulele player, but I play one heck of a good Margaritaville and actually my drinking buddies can't get enough of Margaritaville.

I remember my first painting class, an introduction to watercolors. The instructor had us all tell the class where we wanted to go with our art, and what our expectations for the class were. When it came to me, I said that I wanted to go wherever my art took me, and that I had no expectations for the class, other than that I was there to experience painting with watercolors. He just smiled and said, "you are sure to succeed then." I try to put the same expectations on the uke, and frankly, I'm pretty good when it gets right down to it. Anyway, I prefer to think I'm pretty good.

Last edited:
My Ukulele was a gift from the company I worked for and I have hardly put it down since it arrived. After spending a Saturday playing all day I wrote him an email and passed on this . Never has a present brought so much joy to one man.

Smaltzy maybe....but it doesn't matter how good you are or how good you get. Does it bring you joy is the question to ask yourself.

PS. practice lots and the joy increases...

Well said.

This thread is one of the most inspiring writings I have read when it comes to personal progress. It can be used for anything we try to accomplish.

I say to myself many times that if I spent as much time playing as I spend contributing and learning on this forum, I would be up there with Jake, but in reality, the forum is a big part of the fun for me and I am having a blast, thoroughly enjoying my time here and meeting people that I will be in contact with one way or another for quite a long time, and that's what it's all about....

I can pretty much guarantee that others perceive you as a much better player than you perceive yourself to be. It's just the nature of making music. You know what sound you desire to come out, and sometimes you come up short... But your audience has no preconception, and are able to enjoy your playing for exactly what it is rather than what it is "supposed" to be.

It is your genetic birthright to make music. Keep striving to improve, but don't let that stand in the way of the music you can make now.

Such interesting thoughts. I have caught myself saying the same thing "I'm just a beginner" and wondered when am I going to stop saying this and stop apologizing for my skill level. It seemed justified when I was playing for only a year or so, but four years in it seems wrong to preface my playing with excuses. I do practice a lot and have improved a great deal, but I am still no great shakes...but I enjoy playing emmensely, and to me that's what really counts. Others enjoy my music too, but probably because they are friendly and uncritical and just enjoying hearing a tune they like and an opportunity to sing along, and that's fine. When I'm playing with my Uke friends I find that I am less apologetic, as many are true beginners and only some are more advanced. When I jam in public, with guitarists (and who are for the most part faaaaaarrrrrr more proficient than me), I find myself wanting to make excuses, but I have learned to stop apologizing and just play. We don't have to be the best singer or best musician for others to enjoy our music and for us to enjoy ourselves.

I don't want to wander to far from the OP's intent, but...

I think that today's relative lack of live music, and abundance of slickly produced studio recordings has skewed people's expectations on how a musician sounds in the real world. Even "The Greats" make mistakes... but unless you are physically there, you never hear it. Even recordings of live performances are heavily edited and produced.

I can pretty much guarantee that others perceive you as a much better player than you perceive yourself to be. It's just the nature of making music. You know what sound you desire to come out, and sometimes you come up short... But your audience has no preconception, and are able to enjoy your playing for exactly what it is rather than what it is "supposed" to be.

It is your genetic birthright to make music. Keep striving to improve, but don't let that stand in the way of the music you can make now.

Yep. This.

I've been playing seriously for almost 6 years now - weekly lessons, participation in uke groups, working on a trio project - and I still consider myself a learner, and I still don't consider myself "good." I don't think I'm naturally gifted. When I was a kid taking music lessons, one teacher said about me that what I lacked in ability, I made up for in enthusiasm - and I'd say that still rings true today. I don't think it's a bad thing - it's just what is.

I DID set a specific goal as to when I'll reach what I'm aiming for. When I can play in front of people with confidence and without embarrassing myself, I will have reached that goal.

I currently engage in public speaking every week as part of my "job" so being in front of a group is not really an issue. I've sung in front of a group as well. I fully expect that I'll know when I've hit the level of "not embarrassing myself" when it comes to the ukulele. I'm not there yet. Still a good ways to go in fact. But I feel pretty good about the idea that I'll get there one of these days.

(And no, I'm not ready for the stage at UWC yet either!)

So, to the OP's question, I'm still learning, and am a bit further than outright "beginner," but not near "intermediate" yet. When things get more automatic, then I'll consider myself as having progressed to the next level.

Top Bottom