A Huon Pine and Australian Red cedar tenor

Graham McDonald

Reaction score
A new tenor ukulele with a Huon pine body, Australian Red cedar neck (14 frets to the body), Indian rosewood fretboard with gidgee head overlay and bridge. Tortoise celluloid binding and rosette with Gotoh planetary tuners.

u28_1.jpg

u28_2.jpg

u28_3.jpg

u28_4.jpg

That is a classy looking build, Graham.

The Toona neck is beautiful.

I agree, its a classy looking uke. Are you happy with the way it sounds?

I'm not familiar with Huon pine. Is it a harder type of pine ie will it take the knocks better than other pines?

Clean looking build. I’m also interested in comments on the sound of Huron pine body. I love the look. The Red cedar neck is also interesting. Very nice. Comments on sound, overall? Any sound sample. Nice job!

I am doing a Sitka-Maple guitar and was going to dye the Maple but looking at yours I am having second thoughts.

Very nice looking. I like the clean, simple trim scheme. I'm curious about the red strings. Aquila?

Huon is a heavy softwood, around the same weight as mahogany. It still dents, so you do have to be careful. The sound is bright and punchy and well balanced. Aqila Red strings with a low G. I like the slightly gritty sound to them. I will see if the new owner can record something on it.

Cheers

Top Bottom