Season 344: "Changing Seasons"

Tootler

Reaction score

As it says in the video, the second Sunday of this season sees an equinox; Autumn in the northern hemisphere and Spring in the southern hemisphere.
This week's season reflects that with the theme "Changing Seasons"

Record songs that reflects a change of season. It may be about any of the four main changes of season:
* Spring --> Summer
* Summer --> Autumn
* Autumn --> Winter
* Winter --> Spring

I will put an initial limit of four songs so you can, if you wish, bring a song reflecting each of the four changes of season. However, it's perfectly OK to bring four songs about the same change of season or any other mix you want. It's your choice. I'll consider changing that later in the week, depending how things go.

The usual rules and guidelines apply

* The recording must be new and made for this week
* Ukulele must be a prominent feature though other instruments may also feature.
* State verbally or in writing your video is for Season 344
* Original songs are especially welcome
* Instrumentals are welcome as is multi tracking
* Start and finsh times as usual, 8 days starting midnight Hawaii on Sunday morning and ending Midnight Hawaii the following Saturday night* * * Most importantly, this is about fun so enjoy yourselves.

If you're not sure if a song fits, it probably does so do it and enter it anyway. No need to check with me. I'm not going to reject any of your entries. They are all good.

Playlist

I will comment on individual songs on You Tube and add periodic summaries in the thread.

A very fine theme, Geoff. It should be fun!

Here comes the early shift.
My first is an original.Summer to Autumn is referenced.It's called " This Rusty Life"...a bit jazzy.Thank you Geoff. A thoughtful challenge.

In this life full of rusty things
Nightwatchmen waiting in the wings
What is new, What is new with you?
The honey eaters on your window sill
Remember summer to autumn
All to well
When the universe shrunk itself for two

I wore the cap and bells then baby
I did the dance of every fool
You played the honky tonk reunion
As we rolled back every stone
Fate drew us through

Too much coffee , late at night
Thought I had the second sight
Sometimes truth just falls down from the sky

With such a satellite in every home
I stare at mine all alone and
Wonder what its steely heart would say

If I were to ride upon the skyway
Take the part of a shooting star
And I’d burn out all too quickly
But I would not crash, like we crashed so hard

For all the mysteries out in space
I’ll give you one to take their place
The one where people wish upon a star

And for a moment brief and clear
This rusty life just disappears
And everything becomes new again

I’ll wear the cap and bells then baby
I’ll do the dance of every fool
You’ll play the honky tonk reunion
One last time before this world is through

Last edited:
Here's a cover of Lindisfarne's (Alan Hull - writer) lovely tune - Winter Song.The transition in it is Summer to Winter....poor old autumn misses out.Winter is a malevolent force here. I've included some '30's animation where winter is the bad guy too.

A paoriginal written for season 344.

Goodbye frost goodbye snow
We’ll be warmer when you go

Hello green leaf hello blossom
You make us happy when you come

Laze on beach bask in sun
An ice cold drink when long day’s done

Cooler breezes coloured leaf
Days shorten, cool relief

Hello frost …..

Last edited:
Helped my grandson Jacob built a 1 : 100 scale model of the sarsen stones (as they may have looked) of Stonehenge today for a school project he has to complete. Some say it may have been a calendar to mark the equinoxes and the solstices.
IMG_20180916_144015.jpg

Last edited:
Helped my grandson Jacob built a 1 : 100 scale model of the sarsen stones (as they may have looked) of Stonehenge today for a school project he has to complete. Some say it may have been a calendar to mark the equinoxes and the solstices.
View attachment 112026

Yep, that beats some of the rubbish I helped my children build.

My wife worked in a school for too many years, so for us the first day back in September always seemed to mark the end of Summer and the start of Autumn, even though the true change was a few weeks away. When she left that job, she swore that we would always go on holiday at the start of September. So we do, and our Summers are now a bit longer (and the prices go down too!)

Anyway, here's a White Stripes song about going back to school.

Someone at my local ukulele club taught this at a jam a few weeks ago, and I really liked it! I kicked up the tempo way past how the White Stripes play it, and my cat guest stars in this video because I had no idea he was sitting behind me until I was almost done. :p

EDIT: Oh no! :p In the time it took me to upload the video and actually post it to the thread, YorkSteve posted the same song first! Um, I guess I'll still leave it here as one of my submissions?

One of the great things about the seasons is, that it makes me discover music, I wouldn't get to know otherwise. When I read about the theme for this week's season, I did some research and discovered the 16th century English song Autumn comes, dealing with the transition from summer to autumn. I laid down the backing track with my Guitarlele, played the melody with my mandolin, and sang the lyrics, so that you know, it's really a song about the topic of changing seasons and not just an invention of mine.

Greetings,

Should be fun. Playing with music meetup in the park today, hope to contribute to your season.

Ciao

Good theme Geoff, not totally unexpected :)
A short simple tune accompanied by leaves and snow.

Back before Jimmy Buffett became Jimmy Buffett(TM), he had a modest hit in the USA with this lovely song. It's really neat to play with a group.

nice theme,chose a Richards and Hart song,it might as well be spring.Chords by Dr Uke

Season 344. Submission 1. "October Knows" - A Turtledrum Original (Copyright Linda Opyr, 2018)

Geoff, thank you very much for hosting and this theme which I love so very much.

While overseas last week, my family went to the beautiful Bavarian lake Tergensee for a daily outing. While sitting at lunch, I had the most beautiful view of golden autumn leaves gently drifting to the ground. That experience was very much with me in the writing of this song.

Last edited:
View attachment 112026

I had the opportunity to visit Stonehenge years ago. I'll never forget the time I spent there. It went right into my bones. Your grandson has a fine, fine project. I bet he never forgets this one ..... and your helping him.

Top Bottom