Would you rather vintage or new?

ghostrdr

Reaction score
I love hearing how people have scored deals. I love hearing how people have rehabbed instruments and brought them back to life. Love seeing NUD posts.

I’ve looked at some eBay and reverb sites and checked out some vintage Martin ukes and vintage Kamaka ukes.

The prices for some of them are super expensive.

Would you rather spend your money on a vintage instrument that has seen a lot of life, may not be the most pretty or need additional repair? Or would you rather spend the same money (pristine instrument or instrument plus cost of repair) on a new instrument using the latest innovations and bracing, side ports, etc.

I can see arguments for both...

Just curious.

OK, I prefer new or a younger used one at a good price. I do buy used but those were not ancient ukuleles (50 or more years old).

I've tried vintage Martin sopranos (1940 - 1950's) and each time felt like I was going to break something as I struggled with the tuners. However that doesn't mean I don't look and consider buying one of those 50 year or more Kamakas or Nunes. What does worry me with the old ones is if I need to refurb something have I diminished the value. And I don't want to have to keep some nasty looking original case, yuk.

My oldest uke is from the 1980's and it's being completely refurbed right now at National Guitars. The tuners were horrible, the finish needed to be redone and the cone had crud on it. Fortunately National Guitars are great at what they do and I was assured the resonator would come home looking like new. So that kind of proves my point. But I am looking forward to the new and improved resonator ukulele coming home and maybe doing a NUD. :)

I own a couple vintage Martins, some used Mya Moes, and have purchased used and brand new ukuleles. In my opinion, as a novice, the thing about vintage instruments is you have to take a bit more care with them in proper humidification and not leaving them in the car or bumping them. The tuners, are often friction tuners, which I happen to dislike greatly. They can sound, meh, or they can be amazing sounding—like my little 60s Martin soprano with Waverly tuners and my 60s Martin tenor with new Gotoh tuners. I have strummed newer Martins and I think the new ones (not talking about the custom Martins) are just not as nice sounding in comparison.

A new modestly-priced uke, can be overbuilt but sound very nice. It can seem easier to take care of because it feels solid, and if it not one of a kind, you won’t be as fearful playing it out somewhere. But a new uke may need time to “open up” and you may have anxiety about keeping it pristine, like checking your new car for dings.

So for me, the sweet spot is a used ukulele that has had time to open up and might even have a ding (no cracks) so it’s not “so precious.” Sounds great and I’m never afraid to strum it hard or take it to a jam.

Last edited:
At what point does a ukulele go from "used" to "vintage"?

I have a tenors that is over 10 years old. Several that are around 5. And a few that were bought new.

I don't have much interest in ukuleles that are 30 or more years old. I think construction techniques have improved over the years. But the woods available even 10 years ago were nicer in density and figuring.

I agree that I would feel very constrained playing an older vintage instrument. Especially if it was rare and valuable. But then I feel like that playing an expensive new uke.

I love hearing how people have scored deals. I love hearing how people have rehabbed instruments and brought them back to life. Love seeing NUD posts.

I’ve looked at some eBay and reverb sites and checked out some vintage Martin ukes and vintage Kamaka ukes.

Would you rather spend your money on a vintage instrument that has seen a lot of life, may not be the most pretty or need additional repair? Or would you rather spend the same money (pristine instrument or instrument plus cost of repair) on a new instrument using the latest innovations and bracing, side ports, etc.

Just curious.

New. There are some amazing builders of ukes, and vintage ukes are much more likely to have defects, some of which may not really be readily apparent. Though I do love a good uke story, unless that uke has traveled the world, I much prefer to build all the scars on my uke myself.

I like the idea of a vintage ukulele. I have a vintage guitar (1954) and love it and will be the first to admit that there are vintage instruments that have features no longer offered for one reason or another and that kind of forces one into the vintage market if the feature is something that really want. That said, in the ukulele world specifically, it seems like there's been a good deal more... credit given to the instrument and, as such, luthiers are turning out some amazing ukuleles.

Theoretically, I like the idea of adding to an ukulele's story, but I like the idea of starting my own more.

I mean, unless I find a really nice old Martin, I suppose. ;-)

As many know I am crazy about Vintage Martins, 70 old years or more. I rescue them and put them back in players hands, not in display cases. They are lighter and rightfully so. The wood is from sources that don't exist any more.
I've played and have owned wonderful Luthier made ukuleles that are better than what I rescue, radius fret boards are great as well as sound ports, careful bracing and top treatment do wonders for tone. They are worth the 3+ times cost of most vintage ones.

Last edited:
At this point in my ukulele buying (read, not at all) I’d rather buy a well-loved “vintage” ukulele that may need a crack or two repaired or a bridge re-glued than a brand new uke of equivalent price. In my dream world, that would be pre-WWII Martin S2 with original gear. I could live with some slight play wear, but would prefer the soundboard be relatively pristine.

If it was a total fixer, I’m not sure I would ever consider it. Unless it was something incredibly rare, and then more just as a wall-hanger/conversation piece.

For me, there is added value in the instruments that have lived long, full lives, and that is something that a brand-new, straight from the factory or luthier shop uke will never have right out the gate.

I guess it depends on the Ukulele.

I recently bought a vintage Kamaka Tiki from 1972.
I would rather pay twice what I payed for it for a recent Kamaka concert. But those cost three times as much this side of the pond, so vintage must do :)

I like modern tuners.

Because I prefer tenor with cutaway, new is much easier to find. I'm good with that.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Both - and lots thereof.

John Colter.

I'd always go for vintage, but not museum pieces, I'm happy for them to have cracks and signs of use because then I don't feel like I have to baby them too much. They were designed to be played, after all.

And I like friction tuners, even the old cranky ones, once the strings settle I find them much more stable than geared.

Brand new or recent second hand. I don't want anything older than I am :)

Just curious.

Thanks, this is interesting question and thread.

‘Vintage’ means different things to different people so can confuse the issue. I’m not sure at what point something becomes vintage rather than second hand, it’s a bit of a grey area but second hand is a clearer term.

All my instruments have been made within say the last decade and I’m not overly fussed about buying brand new, indeed I think it more ecological to buy used and will do so if price and condition are right - I’m happy to do some repairs too. I look after my possessions but over time I have realised that the Ukes that I feel most for are those that show signs of (careful) use / wear. Indeed I have come to think of instruments as items in my care, items to be looked after and passed onto future generations of players. A used instrument that’s restored to playing order, or has it’s defects corrected in some way, and is then placed in the hands of another player is a joy in itself.

Here in the U.K. decades old Ukes, for restoration or use as is, are either rarely available or ridiculously priced - well that’s my experience. After some months of searching I gave up on the idea of having such an instrument and instead picked up something new at a good price, and it’s working just as I expected it too. If you buy something decades old that was made by a manufacturer who’s instruments you’ve never played before then there’s a good chance that you’re going to be disappointed, of course the same can be said of a recently built item too.

So, overall, I prefer to buy older instruments, if condition and price are acceptable. However it’s also important to realise that, like now, designs and details vary between manufactures so try to avoid disappointment by buying what you’re familiar with and happy with. The term ‘Vintage’ is not a ‘Silver Bullet’ that guarantees satisfaction.

Last edited:
A vintage uke would have to be very special and at the right price. I bought a Martin that was probably/possibly made in 1944, the year of my birth. If it dated from the 1920s, I'd have no interest. I was given a Roy Smeck from about 1940, and I bought a Wabash from about 1950 because it was $50 with a case (from Jim Beloff). Otherwise, I prefer more current ukes. I don't want to be responsible to maintaining something special.

Wabash (Wabash Ave, Chicago) below -

01 Wabash.jpg

All the above, please.

My current “go to” uke is a post-war, pre-Hawaiian statehood Martin concert. I play it more than any other lately, and that by a good measure. It’s currently hanging in my living room along with 4 other ukes that get regular playtime but which are also those that I don’t worry about getting a scuff or two.

As the Martin has dings, dents, cracks and crazing, I don’t baby it when the humidity is high enough in the house to leave it out. In winter, when it’s dry, it lives in a humidity bag, as do all my ukes.

But that Martin is an excellent player and has a deep, warm, distinctive voice that sounds like no other uke I own. Yeah the friction tuners are tight, but as another poster observed, they hold tight.

And then there are plenty of newer ukes, including some I bought brand new. I love them all with a few exceptions ( my Bruko and my Baritone)

So, I’m not afraid of vintage, though I doubt I’d ever by any “museum” pieces. But some of them Martin “players” are great!

Last edited:
Im just not nostalgic so I'm not drawn to antiques. To me, a ukulele is a musical instrument and I'm not looking for anything meaningful beyond that. I do however understand why others are attracted to them and want a part of history and I think that is good for them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom