krappy bass?

bnolsen

Reaction score
Any opinion about these simple basses?

http://www.krappyguitars.com/index.html

Yup, mostly 2 string and some 3 string basses.

I don't have experience with traditional guitar bass "per se", however I played viol da gamba for years in college (an obscure renaissance bowed 6/7 stringed instrument played in quartet/quintet/sextet) that used skinny gut string for "fret markers" (I thought they were real frets until I started playing ukulele and found out what *real* frets are supposed do). When I sang in front of an orchestra once I got to play with around with a double bass and that was pretty easy to get used to.

I'm just considering grabbing a 2 string fretless to play with, one of their more conservative "punk basses" might be interesting.

Last edited:
I've played bass for 32 years. I looked at their website, and I thought some of them were really cool looking. And the prices are certainly nice! Their EUBs and Touch models looked really interesting.
And really... do you NEED more than 2 strings on a bass? Well, ok, SOMETIMES I guess you do, but as I've gotten older I've realized that I am never going to be Chris Squire, so my playing has gotten simpler. MOST of the time... :)

I dunno, they look like Krapp to me. I would spend my money on a regular bass. There are fretless ones available.

You could play the viol da gamba as a bass. We have a local band that uses one for the "bass". Here are some pictures of them.
http://www.runawaystringband.com/photos.html

Bill

gambas are too rich for my blood. From what I remember a gamba bass starts at like 2500USD or so. Also where I live an instrument like that would be extremely prone to cracking.

Last edited:
Despite mine, yours, or anyone else's opinion, they do have a bass named the "Hassel-Hofner"... that's got to count for something

My grand pa order a one string bass shaped guitars like a shotgun. He might order a travel neck through bass with detachable wings. These guitars would be fun. I did specially for Kevin of Krappy Guitars a week after he delivered my new Twiggy 4 electric upright bass to me.

Last edited:
Lots of cool bases like these on cigarboxnation.com. Basically electric bass dulcimers. Whether you make with actual cigar box or not, same basic designs.

I give them point for originality, but I'll take a Fender Jazz any day...

Lots of cool bases like these on cigarboxnation.com. Basically electric bass dulcimers. Whether you make with actual cigar box or not, same basic designs.

I actually did build a cigar box bass with 2 weed whacker strings and passive pickup using an oak 2x2 for a neck. Thanks for reminding me, I need to refit with another tuner and make it into a 3 stringer. Two is okay if staying on/near the key the bass is in but 3 strings should give me more of the range I want. Takes a lot of stretching for those whacker strings to settle. Of course being a 2 stringer right now it works well with a slide. Three will be a bit more challenging.

Top Bottom