what are you reading?

L'art de la Simplicite: How To Live More with Less - Dominique Loreau

I’m reading “Kim” by Rudyard Kipling. I’ve already read it two or three times, but I like Kipling and this one is a favorite.

I’m a little tired of Louis L’Amour. I need a little change. :eek:ld:

I’m reading “Kim” by Rudyard Kipling. I’ve already read it two or three times, but I like Kipling and this one is a favorite.

I’m a little tired of Louis L’Amour. I need a little change. :eek:ld:
Well you got me going on Louis L'Amour, and right now I'm reading a book of his short stories.

I just started reading 'Piano for Dummies'. :)
I've had my digital piano for a while now, but first learned to play music on my ukes, then I went back to my harmonicas, which I'm getting better at now, but I just felt I wanted something 'new' to have a go at, hence back to attempting to get to grips with my piano. ;)

Well you got me going on Louis L'Amour, and right now I'm reading a book of his short stories.

Well, Rollie, I hate to disappoint, but I haven’t cared for any of his short story books. The stories seem kinda tame, and the endings were never satisfying—sorry. :eek:ld:

White Gold: The Extraordinary Story of Thomas Pellow and Islam's One Million White Slaves

The horrors of the transatlantic slave trade have been extensively documented in print and eloquently portrayed on film and television. But chattel slavery was a well-established African as well as European institution, and its victims were not exclusively people of color. In the seventeenth, eighteenth, and early nineteenth centuries, the Barbary states of North Africa used Islamic pirates, or corsairs, to conduct slave raids, which fed the flourishing slave markets of Algiers, Tunis, and Tripoli. Many of the enslaved were white Europeans or North Americans captured at sea. Among them was Thomas Pellow, an 11-year-old English child who was seized in 1716 and served for 23 years as a personal servant to Sultan Moulay Ismail of Morocco. Milton relates Pellow's compelling story as a triumph of wile, pluck, and endurance; but this is also a tale of great brutality and suffering, as Milton eloquently shows that all of the indignities one associates with European and American slavery were visited upon those held in North Africa. A riveting account.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0077CTLFY/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

How To Be a Man: A Guide To Style and Behavior For The Modern Gentleman- by Glenn O'Brien (Author),‎ Jean-Philippe Delhomme (Illustrator)

https://www.amazon.com/How-Be-Man-B...swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1510306338&sr=1-3

REVIEW- "This is not a superficial book. He really lays out a clear philosophy of living that, at the risk of oversimplifying it, treats manners as a form of deference to the beauty of life - by paying attention to details and expressing ourselves in a thoughtful manner, we are telling the world and its people that we love it enough to take it seriously."

Last edited:
Top Bottom