what are you reading?

Apropos that this thread came up just now. I'm engrossed in reading "A Stowaway Ukulele Revealed - Richard Konter and the Byrd Polar Expeditions." I'm finding it to be interesting and entertaining, and full of historical minutiae worth knowing. It also provides a glimpse into the musical world of the early 20th Century. My interest in the book was, of course, piqued by my purchase of a Martin "Konter" Uke.

'The Witching Hour' by Anne Rice. A very spooky tale! I love Anne Rice's early novels, and I've read this one before, but it was so long ago that it's like I'm reading it for the first time again.

I may read her Vampire Trilogy again at some point (Interview with the Vampire, The Vampire Lestat, and Queen of the Damned). I remember reading them in my youth at university, and how she brought those characters to life so vividly that I would find myself during the day thinking, "I wonder what the vampires are doing right now?"

Still reading through the entire line of Terry Brooks pre-Shannara and Shannara books, in order of fictional chronology, not the date of publication. I've read 13 of 32 of the series since the beginning of November, finishing The Scions of Shannara just a few days ago. I'm currently taking a short detour as I read Brooks's short-story anthology, Small Magic.

I'm currently on a John Grisham reading spree where I go through all of his thrillers in order of publishing. Right now I'm reading "The Runaway Jury", his 7th novel. Love his writing, it's always fast and enthralling.

I'm currently on a John Grisham reading spree where I go through all of his thrillers in order of publishing. Right now I'm reading "The Runaway Jury", his 7th novel. Love his writing, it's always fast and enthralling.

John Grisham's novels are like literary crack cocaine. Once you starting reading them, you can't quit!

Apropos that this thread came up just now. I'm engrossed in reading "A Stowaway Ukulele Revealed - Richard Konter and the Byrd Polar Expeditions." I'm finding it to be interesting and entertaining, and full of historical minutiae worth knowing. It also provides a glimpse into the musical world of the early 20th Century. My interest in the book was, of course, piqued by my purchase of a Martin "Konter" Uke.

Ah this one! I followed Martin Guitar on Instagram and spotted it

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHNn0ilJN8C/?igshid=y7gkzi3g2v5g

Just finished Pan Jenoff's The Lost Girls of Paris. A story about a group of French speaking women who were sent to France prior to D Day to help the French underground lay the groundwork for the D Day invasion of Europe. A great story of intrigue, heroism and treachery.

I read everything related to cybersecurity and different spy apps and keyloggers now. I want to learn how to protect my data because we are living in such times when everyone wants to get your data. And I read 1984 by George Orwell. I wanted to read it for the last 10 years and finally do this.

Reading Piano by James Barron. Chronicles the history of the Steinway company and the building of a concert grand from logs to finished product.

I like one interesting history-related book "Harriet Tubman: The Road to Freedom ".
"Harriet Tubman was a well renowned public figure and a heroine who is popularly remembered for her contribution to the history of the United States. At the same time, Tubman is recognized as the most important symbol in the anti-slavery era. "- I took information from this study site. I hope you all will like this book, for me it was sometimes difficult, but at the same time interesting, also it is even a movie! :unsure:

I‘m reading The Odyssey for the second or third time, and some of Robert Burns poetry (songs). I’ve been playing Scottish tunes lately.

I’m also reading Exercise: A Guide From The National Institute On Aging. My ol’ bod really needs this one.

I am about 2/3 through LOVE by Roddy Doyle. I generally like Doyle's books, but this is not my favourite. I will finish it, but, unlike some of his books, I won't say, "Aw, I wish there were more."
I find that I make more use of the library and less use of the book store these days. The book shelves are getting full and we've just done a cull.
I don't enjoy reading from a screen, but I'm an old fart.

If you're interested in WWII, Upton Sinclair's Lanny Budd series is incredibly well researched. He's was a master of plot and story telling. He won a Pulitzer for Dragon's Teeth.

I recently finished the 11th book and didn't want to see the series it end, and I have never gotten hooked by a series of books before this one.

Loved "A Gentleman in Moscow" and more recently enjoyed "The Splendid and the Vile."

Bluesy

Currently reading 'Garcia: An American Life', Blair Jackson's worshipful biography of Jerry Garcia.

EDIT: Just because I now can. Thanks UU! (y)

Last edited:
Top Bottom