what are you reading?

I love the Bakersfield sound and Buck Owens so this is a book I'd probably enjoy. Just as much, if not more so, I'd be interested in learning more about Don Rich, Owens' right hand man. What a fantastic talent he was!

If you don't already know them you should check out The Derailers. They were a great band that fully embraced the Bakersfield sound. Their best years were 1995-2003 when founding member Tony Villanueva was still part of the group. They even released an album titled, "Under The Influence Of Buck".

I just now saw this reply. There's a lot of good stuff about Don Rich in the Buck 'Em book. I'll have to check out The Derailers!

Also, just finished reading 'Skydog: The Duane Allman Story' by Randy Poe. It's a great biography of Duane Allman, and a good history of the Allman Brothers Band.

The Weapon Shops of Isher by A. E. van Vogt.
Not enjoying this one. I read the novella it was based on in a big anthology of Golden Age SF and its just that same novella with bits tacked on to make a novel (a fix-up)

"Roadside Picnic" by a couple of Russian guys. Excellent English translation and somewhat reminiscent of the movie, "The Gods Must Be Crazy".

Murder In Old Bombay by Nev March. Interesting whodunnit that also describes the social conditions of that era. Protagonist is of half Indian half British birth.

Fat-Tire Flyer: Repack and the Birth of Mountain Biking by Charlie Kelly. Really interesting and detailed account of the early days of mountain biking in the US.

I am almost finished working my way through a three year backlog of AARP magazines. They are in random chronological order, so it’s a bit surreal to read an issue or article that was written pre-Covid-19, followed by one published two months ago. What I find most interesting is that the number of references to stress (on multiple levels) is pretty much consistent throughout all of the published issues over the past three years.

I just finished reading two novels by Erin Morgenstern: 'The Night Circus' and 'The Starless Sea'. Both were good reads about worlds filled with magic. She's a very gifted writer and a great storyteller!

Top Bottom