what are you reading?

I finished Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. It was such an interesting book and I thought it was fiction based on how it was written but it actually turns out to be nonfiction.
When my wife worked at the library, she was under the impression it was fiction as well. So was a customer who came in. But they wound up finding it in the Georgia History section and both of them were like “huh. How about that?”
Super interesting book.
One of my most loved books, without doubt!
Also seek out Berendt's other travelogue/memoir/mystery, The City of Falling Angels - equally as intoxicating
and every bit as compelling!

And wow, that is a mind-boggling number of books to have breathed in in just a year, Luke.
I went through my diary and have read just shy of 1 and a 1/2 rows of your poster haha,
and I thought I'd had a good year!

🌻

My reading goal this year was 30. I'm currently at 26 and I have a couple of books with less than 100 pages left so I'll likely hit 28 before the end of the year. There were several times this year where I let my reading languish and I didn't read anything for weeks. I'll have to try and shoot for 30 next year!

Another fun one is A Hard Day's Write which gives the story behind every Beatles song. Definitely an interesting and fun read.

I noticed two things:

1) A Hard Day's Write is by Steve Turner, the author of Beatles '66!! I'm even more excited now!

2) There's a newer edition, with a completely different name. A Hard Day's Write is from 1999, and 224 pages. The 2015 updated edition is called The Complete Beatles Songs: The Stories Behind Every Track Written by the Fab Four, and adds better than another 50% to the page count! (352 pages)...

...which makes me wonder about All the Songs: The Story Behind Every Beatles Release, nearly twice as long (672 pages), from 2013. I don't know the authors of this one, so I'm not ready to opt for it over Steve's latest, but I wonder if anyone here has read it?

I noticed two things:

1) A Hard Day's Write is by Steve Turner, the author of Beatles '66!! I'm even more excited now!

2) There's a newer edition, with a completely different name. A Hard Day's Write is from 1999, and 224 pages. The 2015 updated edition is called The Complete Beatles Songs: The Stories Behind Every Track Written by the Fab Four, and adds better than another 50% to the page count! (352 pages)...

...which makes me wonder about All the Songs: The Story Behind Every Beatles Release, nearly twice as long (672 pages), from 2013. I don't know the authors of this one, so I'm not ready to opt for it over Steve's latest, but I wonder if anyone here has read it?
I'm pretty sure I have an older copy of A Hard Day's Write somewhere around the house but my sister-in-law (not knowing that) just sent me a newer copy for my birthday published by MJF Books. In this edition, the Beatles songs from Live At The BBC and Anthology 1-3 are included with their regular discography. All those songs are covered in 357 pages and when you include the chronology, discographies, bibliography, index, etc. it runs a total of 382 pages. With the inclusion of the Beatles songs from Live At The BBC and Anthology 1-3, that should cover everything.

Last edited:
Just wow! I look at this pic, and I'm not sure I'll read so many books in 5 years. It is difficult for me to read new. I rather like to re-read something familiar. Christmas is coming soon, and my dear Moomin books by Tove Jansson are waiting for me :)
I’ve never read this many books in a year and I’m honestly not sure if I would want to again. It required a lot of dedication at the expense of practicing music or enjoying other things.

It DID change how I look at New Year Resolutions and I think next year I’m not going to attach any numbers to my goals or even focus on specific tasks that could be accomplished and then moved away from. I think instead I want to focus on developing habits that would hopefully make me a more satisfying version of myself TO myself if that makes sense.

We’ll see how it shakes out but for now when the ball drops the goal isn’t going to be “read XX books,” but rather “try to read every day.”

We’ll see how it shakes out but for now when the ball drops the goal isn’t going to be “read XX books,” but rather “try to read every day.”
Some of 'em just take longer than others, and in general, I find that the slower ones tend to stick with me longer. You kinda have to go at the pace that a book wants to be experienced. There's something satisfying about reading a book in a day, but another kind of satisfying to spend a week or two or more with another kind of book. I wouldn't want to miss either.

This analogy is a little too shallow, but it's kinda like food. I can eat a giant bucket of popcorn or a bag of chips and be ready to go again, but a real *meal* almost forces you to slow down. It might also be so rich that you're completely satisfied in the best way, even though you've eaten a far smaller amount than the less-filling snack.

Snacks are fun too, so I alternate books that are meant for reading pedal-to-the-metal (a lot of YA or genre fiction that's all about the story) with books that have a denser historical, scientific, or stylistic dimension that's meant to be savored, meditated upon, or a springboard for further research.

Now that I think about it, though, I'm not sure there's any slower reading than poetry. Short pieces, but you need to do some heavy lifting to get much out of it. High effort, but high reward.

Anyway, I think you're on the right track, Luke, especially as I think about all this through the lens of the "immersive hobby" thread. I haven't made my post in that thread yet, but in general, each new immersive hobby has pushed out the previous ones. LOL There's only so much time, so I've got to drop some things to pick up others, and I'm definitely reading less as I'm uking more. 😊 Ya can't let the number of books or pages try to be the boss of you. 😂

Last edited:
Absolutely. I’m generally a big numbers guy and 2022 had a lot of quantifiable goals that I could track my progress on and see if I’m running behind. But when I finished sone of them, I dropped them altogether and moved on to other stuff and then, when some were more difficult than I expected, I compensated by doing more of the easier ones instead. This is how I read 216 books instead of finishing James Hill’s jazz ukulele course (I didn’t know that you were supposed to backtrack after each lesson to apply the new principles to the more familiar pieces. I thought it was going to be more linear).

But yeah. This experience made me rethink how I wanted to approach resolutions and move away from accomplishing something to building habits instead. I think, if I can make them stick, I’ll be better off for it - certainly more balanced - but we’ll see.

One of my most loved books, without doubt!
Also seek out Berendt's other travelogue/memoir/mystery, The City of Falling Angels - equally as intoxicating
and every bit as compelling!

And wow, that is a mind-boggling number of books to have breathed in in just a year, Luke.
I went through my diary and have read just shy of 1 and a 1/2 rows of your poster haha,
and I thought I'd had a good year!

🌻
I’ll have to look that up! Thanks for the recommendation!

People talking about the number of books they've read during the year made me wonder what my tally is. I seem to have averaged around 3 per month that I finished, and then had a lot that I started & didn't care to finish for various reasons.

I mostly read non-fiction, so maybe a goal for me would be to find some fiction to enjoy for next year.
I like Fredrik Backman. Maybe another book by Backman in 2023, at least?

The only New Year's resolution I've ever kept was to not make any more New Year's resolutions, though. :LOL:

Something different - I just finished Showcase Presents: Jonah Hex vol. 2, a black and white collection of reprinted comics I believe were from the 70s. I went through a streak where I was buying a lot of collections of comic book reprints and I'm finally getting around to reading them with intent of selling them off when I can. If there is a comic series you like from the past, the Showcase Presents series are excellent if they publish a series you enjoy(ed). That they are reprinted in black and white doesn't bother me, I think I kind of prefer it to what would have been originally printed in color. I think I like the homogeneity of the look and it leaves more to the imagination.

Something different - I just finished Showcase Presents: Jonah Hex vol. 2, a black and white collection of reprinted comics I believe were from the 70s. I went through a streak where I was buying a lot of collections of comic book reprints and I'm finally getting around to reading them with intent of selling them off when I can. If there is a comic series you like from the past, the Showcase Presents series are excellent if they publish a series you enjoy(ed). That they are reprinted in black and white doesn't bother me, I think I kind of prefer it to what would have been originally printed in color. I think I like the homogeneity of the look and it leaves more to the imagination.
I’ve been picking up the reprints of EC Comic Series as often as I can. Tales Fron the Crypt, Vault of Horror, etc, have always been favorites of mine and it’s nice to see them reprinted in such high quality.

I also snatch up Batman collections whenever possible as he’s my #2 hero.

I’m also a sucker for collections of quality newspaper comics. If there’s ever really a thing in the literary world that is going to disappear due to a movement into the digital realm, it’s newspaper comics. Particularly since newspapers are responding to lower selling numbers by cutting comic sections (basically the one thing that is tougher to find online than anything else in the paper). I never bought into the idea that books are going to disappear because of the Kindle, but newspaper comics are 2-3 generations away from being forgotten entirely so it’s the one section of my little personal library that feels like I’m archiving something important.

I’ve been picking up the reprints of EC Comic Series as often as I can. Tales Fron the Crypt, Vault of Horror, etc, have always been favorites of mine and it’s nice to see them reprinted in such high quality.

I also snatch up Batman collections whenever possible as he’s my #2 hero.

I’m also a sucker for collections of quality newspaper comics. If there’s ever really a thing in the literary world that is going to disappear due to a movement into the digital realm, it’s newspaper comics. Particularly since newspapers are responding to lower selling numbers by cutting comic sections (basically the one thing that is tougher to find online than anything else in the paper). I never bought into the idea that books are going to disappear because of the Kindle, but newspaper comics are 2-3 generations away from being forgotten entirely so it’s the one section of my little personal library that feels like I’m archiving something important.
I've got a big stack of those EC Annuals! I've got several of the larger hard cover editions as well. I've been sitting on them way too long and they are taking up space so I've got to get around to reading them and then selling them. They brought me back to my childhood when I loved all those horror/suspense/science fiction comics. I got caught up in the nostalgia and bought up a bunch of them.

I've got a big stack of those EC Annuals! I've got several of the larger hard cover editions as well. I've been sitting on them way too long and they are taking up space so I've got to get around to reading them and then selling them. They brought me back to my childhood when I loved all those horror/suspense/science fiction comics. I got caught up in the nostalgia and bought up a bunch of them.
I told my mom recently that I think I learned more morality tales as a kid from Tales From the Crypt than from church and she was mortified.

But they do lean in really hard when it comes to comeuppance and it had a positive effect on me.

Read Kafka's Metamorphosis in High School, giving it another go voluntarily.

I read that this year! PLEASE let me know your thoughts when you finish it because that was a book that stuck with me for a while after I finished it!
I talked about this book earlier in this thread but if you want to read a book that will stick with you for a (long) while after reading it check out The Painted Bird by Jerzy Kosinski. I read it in the early 80's for the first time and it has still stuck with me after all these years. I can still see and feel myself reading it back then and I've read it multiple times since. It's very dark so it's not for the sensitive soul.

You may have seen that the second Enola Holmes movie just came to Netflix and set a bunch of viewership records right out of the gate. I haven't watched it yet (opting out of TV in favor of ukeing these days!), but I dug the first one (2020) enough to check out the books, and they're DYNAMITE. I absolutely love 'em, and vastly prefer them to the (still quite entertaining) movies.

Enola is the 14 year-old sister of Sherlock and Mycroft (the latter of whom figures heavily in the first one, and less so as the series continues), and the first mystery she attempts to solve is the disappearance of her mother. She doesn't crack the case, but stumbles into others along the way. I will admit that I read the first four in this series of eight teen novellas by Nancy Springer, loved 'em all, then moved on to other things.

The new movie was a reminder that I need to get back to these. I just finished the fifth, The Case of the Cryptic Crinoline, and couldn't believe how much I enjoyed it! Only 188 pages, which is about how long they all are. I've mentioned that I read a lot of YA books and their emphasis on stories where stuff happens :ROFLMAO: but these aren't even that -- they're aimed at tweens and early teens, and still entertaining as all get-out.

Any fan of Sherlock, of plucky young heroines, Victorian-era mysteries, gentle historical feminism and the like will get a kick out of these. A big part of the storyline is her trying to outwit her much older brothers and their attempts to stuff her into conventional Victorian young womanhood, eg, get her into boarding school, corsets, and marriage immediately, and her determination to be the free spirit her mother the suffragette raised her to be. I especially enjoyed how they connected her upbringing to Sherlock's, with the same kinds of emphasis on curiosity, observation, a wide range of learning, and physical activity over social conformity. After all, it's not like Sherlock ever exactly fit into genteel society. Why should his sister?

That's more subtext than text, though. The books aren't exactly about that. They're about a smart, capable girl unexpectedly alone in the world, trying to find her way by helping people. I like that. Helping yourself by helping other people. AND they're fast, fun, and funny. Gotta love that. 😊

I talked about this book earlier in this thread but if you want to read a book that will stick with you for a (long) while after reading it check out The Painted Bird by Jerzy Kosinski. I read it in the early 80's for the first time and it has still stuck with me after all these years. I can still see and feel myself reading it back then and I've read it multiple times since. It's very dark so it's not for the sensitive soul.
You may have seen that the second Enola Holmes movie just came to Netflix and set a bunch of viewership records right out of the gate. I haven't watched it yet (opting out of TV in favor of ukeing these days!), but I dug the first one (2020) enough to check out the books, and they're DYNAMITE. I absolutely love 'em, and vastly prefer them to the (still quite entertaining) movies.

Enola is the 14 year-old sister of Sherlock and Mycroft (the latter of whom figures heavily in the first one, and less so as the series continues), and the first mystery she attempts to solve is the disappearance of her mother. She doesn't crack the case, but stumbles into others along the way. I will admit that I read the first four in this series of eight teen novellas by Nancy Springer, loved 'em all, then moved on to other things.

The new movie was a reminder that I need to get back to these. I just finished the fifth, The Case of the Cryptic Crinoline, and couldn't believe how much I enjoyed it! Only 188 pages, which is about how long they all are. I've mentioned that I read a lot of YA books and their emphasis on stories where stuff happens :ROFLMAO: but these aren't even that -- they're aimed at tweens and early teens, and still entertaining as all get-out.

Any fan of Sherlock, of plucky young heroines, Victorian-era mysteries, gentle historical feminism and the like will get a kick out of these. A big part of the storyline is her trying to outwit her much older brothers and their attempts to stuff her into conventional Victorian young womanhood, eg, get her into boarding school, corsets, and marriage immediately, and her determination to be the free spirit her mother the suffragette raised her to be. I especially enjoyed how they connected her upbringing to Sherlock's, with the same kinds of emphasis on curiosity, observation, a wide range of learning, and physical activity over social conformity. After all, it's not like Sherlock ever exactly fit into genteel society. Why should his sister?

That's more subtext than text, though. The books aren't exactly about that. They're about a smart, capable girl unexpectedly alone in the world, trying to find her way by helping people. I like that. Helping yourself by helping other people. AND they're fast, fun, and funny. Gotta love that. 😊
My wife collects Sherlock Holmes pastiches and I try to find Holmes books in other written languages whenever I’m somewhere that that’s a thing. She has a fun collection of French, German, Korean, Japanese, Chinese, and… want to say Indian but can’t remember for certain (it’s been a few years).

Her favorites are the Warlock Holmes books but I really enjoyed Kareem Abdul-Jabbar’s “Mycroft Holmes,” series. The first one in particular tackles some big topics and was very interesting.

I’ll have to ask why Enola Holmes isn’t on that shelf.

Top Bottom