what are you reading?

Welp, I stalled out on reading The McCartney Legacy. Not due to lack of interest, but because I wanted to read it slowly, listen to the music, and savor it. So, I bought a copy instead of hoping to have a library copy when I want it, and read a stack of other books that I had on hold at the library. I also am cramming in a bunch of continuing education credits that I need, so reading time isn't as abundant as I like.

Current book, though: When McKinsey Comes to Town: The Hidden Influence of the World's Most Powerful Consulting Firm.

The mention of Tune In has me wanting to reread that, but that will have to wait. I really want the next volume to come out....

I've been reading stories and legends from Africa to my students from a book called Africa: A Guide for Teachers and Families by Betty K. Staley. My seventh class has just concluded our Africa studies block, and this was my go-to book for lore and facts, which was written for Waldorf teachers originally. It's a treasure chest of great fables and moral stories. Really good stuff, 450 pages, and a bargain at $30.

My kid also just sold their second book, to Scholastic this time. Since eir first book has gone viral for being the most banned book of 2022, random offers like "we'll publish whatever else you have" are pouring in. E went with Scholastic because of their relative independence and stability: It's one of the only major publishers that hasn't been sold to or merged with some larger company. The publisher of eir first book has been sold twice since the initial contract was signed, leading to a never ending parade of editors being in charge of the promotions of it... You never know who will be in charge of things next due to the revolving door of editors and publicists as the other major imprints consume each other.

I have a week off, so I'm planning to adapt Tales of King Arthur into a play for my seventh graders. I find it's easier and more direct to start with a kids book when I write, rather than wading through the original source material. I've done this a couple of times now, adapting Canterbury Tales and an original script called The Abduction of the Sabine Women as a comedy. We'll see if I can pull it off. I have an awful headcold right now and I'm feeling a bit under-motivated at the moment. We'll see...

Just finished E.M. Forster's novel Maurice, an early 20th-century depiction (originally written in 1913-14) of homosexual love in Britain. It was published only after his death, in the 1970s. What a difference a century can make!

Now dipping into the detective novels of Reginald Hill, starting with the first, A Clubbable Woman (1970). Witty and nicely done. But not as satisfying as Ngaio Marsh, Rex Stout, and that ilk. Sigh.

I have a week off, so I'm planning to adapt Tales of King Arthur into a play for my seventh graders. I find it's easier and more direct to start with a kids book when I write, rather than wading through the original source material. I've done this a couple of times now, adapting Canterbury Tales and an original script called The Abduction of the Sabine Women as a comedy. We'll see if I can pull it off.
You are amazing!

I've been reading stories and legends from Africa to my students from a book called Africa: A Guide for Teachers and Families by Betty K. Staley. My seventh class has just concluded our Africa studies block, and this was my go-to book for lore and facts, which was written for Waldorf teachers originally. It's a treasure chest of great fables and moral stories. Really good stuff, 450 pages, and a bargain at $30.

My kid also just sold their second book, to Scholastic this time. Since eir first book has gone viral for being the most banned book of 2022, random offers like "we'll publish whatever else you have" are pouring in. E went with Scholastic because of their relative independence and stability: It's one of the only major publishers that hasn't been sold to or merged with some larger company. The publisher of eir first book has been sold twice since the initial contract was signed, leading to a never ending parade of editors being in charge of the promotions of it... You never know who will be in charge of things next due to the revolving door of editors and publicists as the other major imprints consume each other.

I have a week off, so I'm planning to adapt Tales of King Arthur into a play for my seventh graders. I find it's easier and more direct to start with a kids book when I write, rather than wading through the original source material. I've done this a couple of times now, adapting Canterbury Tales and an original script called The Abduction of the Sabine Women as a comedy. We'll see if I can pull it off. I have an awful headcold right now and I'm feeling a bit under-motivated at the moment. We'll see...
Now I'm going to have to try to figure out what was the most banned book of 2022. :) That seems like quite an honor these days, IMO. It's a goofy world.

Seems very ambitious to adapt something into a play for your students. It sounds like you make learning a lot of fun for your students, which is great.

Hope you feel better quickly.

Just finished E.M. Forster's novel Maurice, an early 20th-century depiction (originally written in 1913-14) of homosexual love in Britain. It was published only after his death, in the 1970s. What a difference a century can make!

Now dipping into the detective novels of Reginald Hill, starting with the first, A Clubbable Woman (1970). Witty and nicely done. But not as satisfying as Ngaio Marsh, Rex Stout, and that ilk. Sigh.
I want to add some lighter reading to my wish list, and "witty and nicely done" seems like a good recommendation. I just checked, and could get an ebook of 2 other Reginald Hill books from the library, so will add that to my wish list.

I want to add some lighter reading to my wish list, and "witty and nicely done" seems like a good recommendation. I just checked, and could get an ebook of 2 other Reginald Hill books from the library, so will add that to my wish list.
Try Libby, if you get that through your library. It has lots of Reginald Hill. My husband is also reading one, Death’s Jest-Book (2003), but not liking it much. I suspect the earlier ones are better.

Just finished Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus, on a recommendation from a friend who reads a lot and I respect her recommendations a lot. This was a great read, I started it last night in the bath around 9ish and didn't put it down until I was finished at about 230 am. I needed a good, fast read. I've had stressful week, this was exactly the ticket.

Just finished Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus, on a recommendation from a friend who reads a lot and I respect her recommendations a lot. This was a great read, I started it last night in the bath around 9ish and didn't put it down until I was finished at about 230 am. I needed a good, fast read. I've had stressful week, this was exactly the ticket.
I never could read in the tub. Do you have one of those tray things?

PS. If using a reading device or phone, DO NOT read in the bath while recharging!

Just finished the audio version of “Old Bones” by Lincoln Child & Doug Preston. Female narrator was perfect for this Dr. Nora Kelley/ Agent Corey Watson murder mystery.

Last edited:
My last two books were non-fiction so I've been hungering for some fiction again. Stephen King rarely disappoints so I just started
Billy Summers.

Try Libby, if you get that through your library. It has lots of Reginald Hill. My husband is also reading one, Death’s Jest-Book (2003), but not liking it much. I suspect the earlier ones are better.
I usually use Emedia Overdrive, but might have access to Libby. I’ll have to check.
What I found so far are The Woodcutter and Midnight Fugue. Would you recommend either one?

Atlantic Monthly published the list... easy to search. It got a TON of national press. I think NPR has Maia on speed dial at this point. Search Maia Kobabe and it comes right up.
Thanks! This is an impressive achievement.

That’s a long bath, LOL.

I usually use Emedia Overdrive, but might have access to Libby. I’ll have to check.
What I found so far are The Woodcutter and Midnight Fugue. Would you recommend either one?
Haven’t gotten to those yet. I’m still on the first one he wrote, A Clubbable Woman, from 1970

I never could read in the tub. Do you have one of those tray things?
No - just hold my book up out of the water. I don't do e-reading generally. I am an paper book kinda gal (unless it's not readily available in anything other than digital media, or it's a classic, and I really want to read it).
That’s a long bath, LOL.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Oh my goodness yes that would be! Especially because I am using it to warm up before getting into a very cold bed. No, just a half hour bath, then in bed snuggled up and reading for the rest of the time.

Top Bottom