what are you reading?

I just started Billy Summers, and am liking it a lot. My husband, meanwhile, is reading Fairy Tale. Completely by accident, we both downloaded books by Stephen King.
Fairy Tale is on my list of want to reads. I just started a book recommended by Stephan King, The Story of Edgar Sawtelle. In the cover blurb he writes:

"I flat out loved The Story of Edgar Sawtelle. I close the book with that regret readers feel only after experiencing the best stories. It's over, you think, and I won't read another one this good for a long, long time....Wonderful, mysterious, long and satisfying: readers who pick up this novel are going to enter a richer world. I envy them the trip. I don't reread many books because life is too short. I will be rereading this one. "

I don't know what made me pick this book off the shelf at Goodwill but after reading King's blurb I thought for a bit less than $3.00 I'd give it a try.

Last edited:
I just finished Stephen King's Billy Summers. For me, King's books are like comfort food - familiar, enjoyable and satisfying. This story was not an exception, I enjoyed it. Now I need to keep whittling away at my book pile. I've been buying them a lot faster than I've been reading them.
King is sometimes dismissed by the unknowing as "just a horror story writer." Despite his prodigious output, he is an excellent writer. His characters, dialog, scene-setting, and storyline are all first-class. I recently enjoyed both Billy Summers and Fairy Tale. Two very different but excellent books. Stephen King is one of the few authors that I like to go back months or years later and reread. I've probably read The Stand four or five times over the years.

King is sometimes dismissed by the unknowing as "just a horror story writer." Despite his prodigious output, he is an excellent writer. His characters, dialog, scene-setting, and storyline are all first-class. I recently enjoyed both Billy Summers and Fairy Tale. Two very different but excellent books. Stephen King is one of the few authors that I like to go back months or years later and reread. I've probably read The Stand four or five times over the years.
I've read The Stand 2-3 times myself and I agree with everything you've said about King. I always look forward to his books and I've enjoyed almost everything he's written. I think I've read everything except Fairy Tale and some of his short story collections. From time to time he can be a bit guilty of bloat but at least it's well written bloat. I didn't especially care for his collaborations with Peter Straub and for whatever reason I couldn't get in to his Dark Tower series despite multiple tries. I think I've only read the first two or three and I found myself having to push through the ones I did read.

Last edited:
I've read The Stand 2-3 times myself and I agree with everything you've said about King. I always look forward to his books and I've enjoyed almost everything he's written. I think I've read everything except Fairy Tale and some of his short story collections. From time to time he can be a bit guilty of bloat but at least it's well written bloat. I didn't especially care for his collaborations with Peter Straub and for whatever reason I couldn't get in to his Dark Tower series despite multiple tries. I think I've only read the first two or three and I found myself having to push through the ones I did read.
I agree with your "well-written bloat" statement. There are times when I wish he would just move on, but he keeps adding more and more layers to the onion. There were a few of those instances in Fairy Tale, but overall, the novel was still quite enjoyable.

I also didn't care for the Dark Tower series, but you can't hit the bullseye every time.

Stephen king is also a very nice man, generous in supporing and encouraging other writers, blurbing their books and so on. In fact, he’s the kind of guy who would play a ukulele!

In fact, he does play guitar, and for several decades he played in a rock group formed of well-known authors who performed for charity, a self-styled “hard listening” band called the Rock Bottom Remainders:

Here he is, rockin’ out:

Last edited:
The Hidden Life of Trees by Peter Wohlleben. An amazing description of all of the various interactions between trees and their fellow living things that lead to a healthy forest. Thwer is a lot more to tree life than I could have ever imagined.

The Hidden Life of Trees by Peter Wohlleben. An amazing description of all of the various interactions between trees and their fellow living things that lead to a healthy forest. Thwer is a lot more to tree life than I could have ever imagined.
You may also enjoy Finding the Mother Tree by Suzanne Simard.

I’ve got three books on the go at the moment.

Other Minds: The Octopus and the Evolution of Intelligent Life by Peter Godfrey-Smith, very entertainingly written and quite fascinating, I do love a cephalopod .

The Indifferent Stars Above by Daniel James Brown, which was mentioned by someone on this thread (can’t remember who, but thank you!). I didn’t know much about the Donner Party and I’m really enjoying the book so far, but I haven’t got to the harrowing part yet.

The Birdcage by Eve Chase, which is a very English bit of fluff for when I’m too tired to concentrate on either of the other two. I’m hoping someone’s going to get murdered soon.

Other Minds: The Octopus and the Evolution of Intelligent Life by Peter Godfrey-Smith, very entertainingly written and quite fascinating, I do love a cephalopod .
I must look for this!!! I am a hug cephalopod fan.

Reactions: TBB
I must look for this!!! I am a hug cephalopod fan.
They’re incredible aren’t they? I’ve also got a book called The Soul of an Octopus, by Sy Montgomery, which my mother gave me for Christmas. It looks wonderful but I’ve only read the first few pages, I thought having two octopus books on the go at once might get a bit confusing 😂

The Passage by Justin Cronin
So far it's like The Stand, Species, Train to Busan, The Last of Us, Congo and I Am Legend all thrown in a blender. And that's just at the half way point of the novel.

So far it's like The Stand, Species, Train to Busan, The Last of Us, Congo and I Am Legend all thrown in a blender. And that's just at the half way point of the novel.
I loved The Passage, and the other books in the trilogy, was actually thinking about rereading them just the other day. Thanks for the reminder!

Well, there's another one to add to my list. At this rate, I won't be allowed to die until I'm at least 120! :p

What do you think of the theory/discovery about fungi linking all trees together? Is that in there?

What do you think of the theory/discovery about fungi linking all trees together? Is that in there?
That's definitely in Finding the Mother Tree by Suzanne Simmard; in fact, that was her research. She may not be the originator of the theory, but she certainly pioneered it.

Top Bottom