Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gloss Mya Moe?

Default Gloss Mya Moe?

In January I had my first Mya Moe built for me, and without anything particular in mind I put myself in line for another one to come a year later.

Now Char is emailing me that I'm going to need to decide what to build. And I'm thinking that maybe this time I'll go for the high gloss polyester finish. All things being equal I like the look and feel of a good gloss finish. It makes an instrument feel more "premium" to me. Don't get me wrong, I like various satin finishes also. And I think Mya Moe does a good job on their satin finishes, but I'm thinking of going for something a little different on this one.

It looks like they've used the gloss on only a small percentage of their ukes. Of those of you who have or have had one - what did you think of the gloss on the Mya Moe?

Only 12 out of 1400+ instruments:
    http://www.myamoeukuleles.com/galler...p?finish=Gloss

Says something. I'm not sure what it says, but it says something.
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, B reentrant
    Jupiter #71, A, UG1

!Flukutronic!

In most cases I think I'd go with the oil finish. It looks good and feels better. If I really felt compelled to do the lacquer, it would only be on a fairly dark instrument. Gloss shows up best on a dark color wood.

Overall, I think I like the feel of the oil over the look of the lacquer. Just MHO. Plus it would save $400 bucks. I even know one professional musician who uses body shop compound to compound the finish of the back of his lacquered necks so it has that bare wood feel. Oil finish is closer to that naturally.

I apologize that I've never seen nor held a MM gloss finish. But at this point I lean to the oil and its faster bare wood feel.

I recently put in an order for a myrtle straight grain. The oil finish seemed the best way to go.

Good luck with your decision.
    Mya Moe Striped Myrtle Tenor #1721
    Mainland Classic Mahogany Tenor
    Kala Steampunk Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hanks View Post
    Only 12 out of 1400+ instruments:
    http://www.myamoeukuleles.com/galler...p?finish=Gloss

Says something. I'm not sure what it says, but it says something.
    I don't know what it says either. I had no idea how truly rare mine was.

I had them build an instrument for me, #290. Everything about it was magnificent. The finish was without any flaw whatsoever. I think a satin finish looks cheap (just me). I never felt cheated in sound or volume. It was a wonderful instrument. Turned out I didn't really want a tenor or radiused fretboard. Alas, if I had known then....
    What do you want to know?
    Last edited by stevepetergal; 08-31-2014 at 02:53 PM.
    If everybody wanted peace instead of another TV, then there would be peace.
    -John Lennon-

Oops, 75 more with "high gloss polyester" finish - didn't notice that with my first search
    http://www.myamoeukuleles.com/galler...hp?finish=Poly
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, B reentrant
    Jupiter #71, A, UG1

!Flukutronic!

Yes there is a gloss finish and a high gloss polyester finish although I don't see the former offered as an option.

While $400 seems like a steep upgrade price - if you look closely at premium instruments you'll see that the price of one with a gloss finish is pretty equivalent or higher than a Mya Moe. Even though I have some beautiful instruments with a satin finish, I think a gloss - when done well - imparts a look and feel of completeness and attention to detail. A gloss also shows off the grain in wood better. I have tended to prefer plainer instruments because I am most interested in what I can play. But I'm considering blinging this one up a bit. Not too gaudy but maybe rope binding on the body or abalone purfling on the top.

UUer Lizzie P discusses her dozen MMs with Gordon here. They discuss, briefly, gloss on what is Lizzie's quietest MM. It's at 7:00 minutes.
    Last edited by coolkayaker1; 08-31-2014 at 04:44 PM.

I like the user serviceability of TruOil. I added a layer without 0000 steel wool sanding post application to two of my Mya Moes and they became very shiny. Not lacquer shiny, but all the wood grain popped. Just another angle to consider, katysax.

With the arrival of your new Moore Bettah, my bet is that by the time your build slot comes up you won't be interested in your Mya Moe. Gloss or oil finish. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by dkcrown View Post
    With the arrival of your new Moore Bettah, my bet is that by the time your build slot comes up you won't be interested in your Mya Moe. Gloss or oil finish. Just saying.
    I'm in line at the same betting window.
    You, sir, are the devil. --Tammy
    10:32789

Thread Information