The 2 Tenors - FS - Mike Pereira Sinker/Black Walnut/MiSi & Mya-Moe Curly Myrtle K&K

Status
Not open for further replies.

hollisdwyer

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
The 2 Tenors - FS - Mike Pereira Sinker/Black Walnut/MiSi & Mya-Moe Curly Myrtle K&K

Off to the USA to see family, friends and a few interesting places in a few days time so the sale of my beautiful ukuleles are on hold until November. Happy to answer any questions or discuss a possible future sale via PM.
For sale are one, maybe two custom made Tenor Ukuleles. The one that attracts the best offer will be sold. Maybe the other one also as I have just purchased 2 more MM's (a 6 string & a cut away 4 string) and am hoping to commission another tenor as well before I start my vacation in the USA in 2 weeks time. (Note that if sold, I could hand carry the uke to the USA and ship from there if desired)

First is the Mike Pereira tenor ukulele. Asking US$1400 (via PayPal, net to me). It has Sinker Redwood top, black walnut back and sides, maple body and fretboard bindings, ebony fingerboard and bridge. As you can see from the photos, it's a pretty stunning uke. Its build date was Dec 2012. It also comes with a Kamoa Fibreglass case (dark blue) with inbuilt hydrometer.

I was stunned at how nice a well made uke can sound when I received this uke. IMO it is ideally suited for fingerstyle playing, but it is also great for strumming as I do when I jam with my local Uke group every week. Amazing sustain and spot on intonation.

Since purchase I have had a MiSi Trio pickup installed. The people who did that said this was the most beautiful uke they had ever seen in Western Australia.

There is one finish flaw in the upper bout (below the soundhole) - a sort of pimple shows up when viewed under light at a certain angle. I don't know what this is. I have examined it with my watchmakers loop and there is no break in the varnish, just a pin point sized tiny bump. It is almost impossible to see and very hard to photograph it (which I did with great difficulty and that pic is attached with all the others). I thought I should disclose it so you know all about the uke.
P8200018-Web.jpg
P8200027-Web.jpg
P8200028-Web.jpg
P8200030-Web.jpg
P8200047-Web.jpg

Here is a Ken Middleton Video Review of almost the exact same uke (exact same woods with the only difference being that mine has a solid head plate and smaller fretboard markers than the one in the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn9wLXbN8gY

Here are a couple sound clips that were posted by the person I purchased it from (I wish I could play as well!):
MP Tenor played finger style:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGRyvujs-0k

MP Tenor Vs Ken Timms Soprano Strumming:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9ianvycnFw&feature=youtu.be

MP Ukes are sold by The Strum Shop in Roseville CA.
http://thestrumshop.com/mp-muchinga-backn-sides-with-spruce-top
Although this one uses different woods it's design/build is very similar to mine (Solid Headplate, Tuners, Body & Fretboard binding, inlays, etc. - Mine does have a Sinker Redwood top which I believe usually cost more than spruce). This new, similar Tenor, with the additional upgrades of MiSi pu and Hard Case (mine is fibreglass not just a hard case) currently sells there for US$2279.99.

Second is my latest acquisition, a Mya-Moe Curly Myrtle tenor ukulele. Also asking US$1400 (via PayPal net to me). Its build number is 567 and you can see the Mya-Moe construction details and photos at this link:
https://www.myamoeukuleles.com/uketracker.php?trackingNumber=567

These are the details:
• Curly Myrtle top, back & sides
• Walnut body binding
• No rosette
• Hand-rubbed oil finish
• Radiused Ebony fretboard with Walnut binding & Abalone markers
• Mahogany neck
• Peghed brand geared tuners
• Ebony & Maple Signature Headplate
• K&K Twin Spot pickup
• Mya-Moe OEM Hard Case
• Mya-Moe Build Number #567

As you can see from the photos (to be posted in second post), this is also a pretty stunning uke. Its build date was Dec 2011.

This is a very different uke from the MP. This is brighter. I also love the radiused fretboard as I find it easier to play with my troublesome left wrist.

In great condition but I will point out that it has a small amount of 'dishing' between the bridge and the sound hole. I recently discussed this with Gordon Mayer who, after sending him photos, said this:
"* we don't design for dishing, but
* we design/build on the edge, and due to natural wood variations, dishing is not uncommon
* dishing is often a sign that the acoustics are superior
* when an instrument dishes, it settles in & stabilizes
* but, if it were my instrument, I wouldn't replace the top"
I was very satisfied with that response.

The only reason I am selling this is that the person I bought it from (who commissioned it) just offered me his Mya-Moe Beansprout tenor. It was a proposition too good to pass up even if it meant funding it by selling this great tenor. There is a 17 month wait on Beansprouts right now!

Happy to answer any questions.

Re shipping, I will ship to USA, Canada, UK, Australia and New Zealand. Please provide a post/zip code and I will get a cost for you. Or, you can organise your own courier to pick it up from my house.

These are for sale for 10 Days only as I want to be able to post them out before I leave for the USA

Last edited:
Re The 2 Tenors - FS - Mike Pereira Sinker/Black Walnut/MiSi & Mya-Moe Curly Myrtle K&K
Here are some more photos of the MP Tenor:
P1030624.jpg
P8240141.jpg
P8200053.jpgP8200051.jpg

Take note and compare these last two photos. The one on the right shows that 'pimple' I was talking about in the first post. For the photo on the left I just moved the studio light a little. I can send really HiRes photos if desired. Without just the right reflection, this microbump is unnoticeable. It is even hard to feel with your fingertips.

Last edited:
Re The 2 Tenors - FS - Mike Pereira Sinker/Black Walnut/MiSi & Mya-Moe Curly Myrtle K

Here are the photos of the Mya-Moe Tenor:
P8210009.jpg
P8210010.jpg
P8210005.jpg
P1030627.jpg
P8210006.jpg

A UU member PM'd me earlier today asking where I Live. I replied saying Perth, Western Australia but there is no record in my notification section that shows that I have sent a reply. I can see inbox messages but not sent messages. Can anyone tell me if there is an issue with the functionality of this site or is it just me being stupid (that's a loaded question, isn't it?)

There's a button to check off, to save sent messages. (under forum actions - general settings) You can add your location so it shows up under the join date, then the location question is pre-answered. (under edit profile) So yes, it's just you !!!

Last edited:
Surprised that there were only a few enquiries re this offering. If people believe that the price is too high I will entertain all reasonable offers and ship from within the USA while I am there on vacation shortly.

Only about 5 more days available to sell and ship one of these before I take off overseas on vacation to the USA. Seize the day, give in to your acquisition dis-order and add another beautiful ukulele to your collection.

Remember folks, Monday is the last day these will be for sale as I fly out to the USA shortly after that. So, particularly if anyone from the USA wants me to hand carry this and ship from within the USA, please consider taking action by then. Cheers from Oz.

Off to the USA to see family, friends and a few interesting places in a few days time so the sale of my beautiful ukuleles are on hold until November. Happy to answer any questions or discuss a possible future sale via PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom