Thread: Uke Minutes 38 - Artificial Harmonics

Default Uke Minutes 38 - Artificial Harmonics

Alright guys! This week's episode of Uke Minutes is up!

Uke Minutes 38 - Artificial Harmonics

A few of you jumped the gun, talking about this technique in the "One-Handed Harmonics" discussion (ahemm ... *mumble*haole*mumble*cpatch) - but it's all good. Way to share the wealth!

A method of visualizing this technique that Aldrine mentioned (that didn't make it into this Uke Minutes episode) is to imagine a bar on your 12th fret. So if you are holding down the 2nd fret with your left hand you know that you need to do the one-handed harmonics technique on the 2nd fret above the imaginary bar. This makes it a lot easier (and a lot faster) to figure out where you need to be.

Questions, comments, interesting anecdotes? Do you guys like the new video player (with no pop up ads!!)? Let us know!

Mahalooooz.
    Last edited by anaka; 02-21-2009 at 12:19 AM.

no thanks, I prefer to keep it real.

I'm like that kid in your class who doesn't know a whole lot, but takes every opportunity to blurt out what he does know in an attempt to sound smart, and eventually you want to bust his face in with a shovel.

I just realized that you don't even actually need to have a 15th fret to do this! The artificial harmonics work way past the fretboard and over the soundhole as long as you hit them at the right distance from the note.

Sometimes I wonder if Aldrine is giving away too many techniques for free.

When he had the one-handed harmonics video, I thought, "One-handed harmonics? Why is he holding back? Maybe he wants to keep artificial harmonics to himself." Boy, was I wrong!

Aldrine, you are ridiculous... take it as a compliment!

Successful sellers: Nuprin (Mele Tenor Koa/Mahogany Electric on 11/2009)
    Successful buyers: Tomdini (Pono Tenor Mango Cutaway Electric on 10/2009)

Quote Originally Posted by haole View Post
    I just realized that you don't even actually need to have a 15th fret to do this! The artificial harmonics work way past the fretboard and over the soundhole as long as you hit them at the right distance from the note.
    Harmonics are basically loudest at the middle of the string, or the half point of the string.

The 12th fret marks the half point of the string on guitars and ukuleles, but when you hold down a fret, you change the length of the string, and, therefore, its half point, or where the harmonic is loudest.

Frets are really just markers, so with a good eye, you can play harmonics over the sound hole; you just need to touch the middle of the string.

I hope this helps...I'm no teacher like Aldrine

(side note: That's one interesting shirt you have on there Aldrine: "Pure Mark K Town Heroes")
    "If you try dying, you die trying." ~ John Su

Alright guys! Next week's episode of Uke Minutes is up!

Uke Minutes 39 - Imaginary Harmonics
    Last edited by cpatch; 02-21-2009 at 04:31 PM.
    “Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” -Berthold Auerbach

Kanile`a Custom T Walnut Tenor "Luana"
    DeVine Maple Concert "Momi"
    Flea Custom Sinker Redwood Concert "Nahele"
    Kanile`a Custom Koa Concert "Joy" (just visiting)

Quote Originally Posted by cpatch View Post
    Alright guys! Next week's episode of Uke Minutes is up!

Uke Minutes 39 - Imaginary Harmonics
    No...likes...you...

lol jk that was pretty funny
    "I can't tell if it's an A# or a Bb..."
    "If you hit the wrong note, we'll all be flat"
    - Goonies

http://www.youtube.com/user/khrome242

This uke miniute was perfectly timed for me. I saw thejumpingflea's video of playing Dragon last week and wanted to learn the artificial harmonics at the end. Thanks Aldrine and UU!
    Visit the ukulele ghetto

Too many ukes!: W. King ls-tenor; W. King ls-concert; Kamaka tenor; Koa Works tenor; KoAloha Pineapple Sunday; Dasilva Santo repro; Aaron Taylor tenor; Kiwaya KTS-7; Kanile'a custom SS; Kepasa Gypsy Rose; Bluegrass cigar box tenor; Collings UC-1; Bushman cedartone baritone; Glyph Mezzo Soprano "Mini-Jake"; Kala acacia pocket; Mya-Moe Concert Tradition; Epiphone Les Paul; Martin C1K

Damnit, rickrolled at work again!

Thread Information