Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on sandpaper for drum sanders requested

Default Advice on sandpaper for drum sanders requested

While waiting for the finish to dry on my second Favilla style teardrop uke, another story entirely, I decided to tackle the task of building a drum sander. After much trial and tribulation, I finally succeeded and I'm at a point where I'll soon be attaching the sandpaper. I have done some research and know that there are basically three types of paper and their respective methods of attachment: Velcro backed, adhesive backed and plain backed, all supplied in rolls. It would appear that the velcro type is the easiest method to apply plus it also adds some cushioning, but it is also expensive. Adhesive backed paper sounds like a pain to remove and I have no idea how one would attach non sticky backed paper. So I turn to the experts to advise me on the type you use and why. I'm ready to learn something new! My roller is 4" diam. and 12" long. Thanks.

Bob

I use plain back paper 4 in wide, my drum is around 22 in wide.
    I have used hose clamps in the past to attach it. Here is how I attach it now.

IMG_0368-2.jpg

I use hook and loop. The Velcro from Lowes and I get the abrasive from this place http://www.onlineindustrialsupply.com/3indrsarohlo.html . It is very nice. Easy to change.

Press the easy button and use a Shopsmith green Ceramic abrasive belt sander belt from Lowes. I cut the belt at the correct angle, spray the back with spray can adhesive, and wrap around the drum. I also add a few wraps of tape to the ends to keep them from lifting. Simple and cheap, but, and I'm serious here, that is the best abrasive I've ever used. I can't seem to wear it out, and have had no clogging issues. Calculate what size will work on your 4x12 drum, and give it a shot.

082354121532.jpg
    Rodney Paul Adams

Three great solutions, thank you guys! Alain, I assume that you don't use any adhesive, only the recess attachment?
    ericchico, your link to Industrial Supply Co has good prices, I might give that a try.
    RPA, Your system seems cheap and easy, but one question - how difficult is it to remove the old sandpaper when the time comes to change it?
    Thanks again!

Bob

When I had a shop built sander with a wooden roller..I found it was easer to fit the belt by using thumb tacks/drawing pins to hold the belt in place while i taped up the ends.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespa Bob View Post
    - how difficult is it to remove the old sandpaper when the time comes to change it?
    It doesn't take much adhesive to hold in place. Just a light mist on the paper, and on the drum is all I do (plus you don't want any lumps). Since the ends are secured with tape, the adhesive mostly keeps it from slipping. Less is more.
    Rodney Paul Adams

Three great solutions, thank you guys! Alain, I assume that you don't use any adhesive, only the recess attachment?
    ericchico, your link to Industrial Supply Co has good prices, I might give that a try.
    RPA, Your system seems cheap and easy, but one question - how difficult is it to remove the old sandpaper when the time comes to change it?
    Thanks again!

Bob
    The sandpaper they sell is not only a great price but its really good stuff, but I think they have a min order of $35. I bought 2 rolls of 80 and one 150 and had to change out the 80 twice since April, once because I was not being smart and ran a piece through with a snag that tore it up and shot the piece back at me almost making a stain in my shorts.

I have a 5" steel drum that I wrap dry, no glue, and duct tape at the ends. I take my time getting a tight wrap and haven't had a problem yet. I use any cloth back abrasive I can find between 80 to 120 grit. It takes a long strip as my drum is 30" wide.

Bill

Bob
    That is right, no adhesive. I roll it tight and attach the ends.

Thread Information