Poll: Can u tell difference - koa vs spruce?

Which is Koa and which is Spruce (Sound test)

• The uke that plays from the start is Koa

Votes: 33 60.0%
  • The uke that comes in at the bridge is Koa

Votes: 22 40.0%

• Total voters
If people cannot pick the sound difference between koa and spruce, why are the prices of koa ukuleles so inflated ?

If people cannot pick the sound difference between koa and spruce, why are the prices of koa ukuleles so inflated ?
Because I have a spruce tree in my backyard but I must fly to Hawaii to see a Koa tree.
:D
I know where you're coming from, Fred, and I agree with you. I've been on UU long enough to have seen at least three other well-conducted blind sound tests (PDX Ukes vintage versus new Martin sound test, MGMs ten different string test, and HMS Andrew's blinded uke test with Corey playing blurred out instrument brands on a video). The upshot each time: people cannot tell the difference between even what they think are the most glaringly "different" sounding instruments. A Koaloha, for instance. Unique, right? No one could pick it out with any scientifically-significant numbers. It was picked versus other instruments, from Kamakas to Kalas, statistically, no more than pure chance!

Bottom line: We hear with our eyes. The instruments with the fanciest woods and custom inlays sound the best to us when, in reality, they all sound the same. Not "about the same", but "the same". The eyes are the reason why, for instance, normal, sane, working people with regular incomes and electric bills--the ones who shop around for the gasoline station charging one-cent less per gallon-- are willing to pay three to five hundred bucks extra, to a well-known Pacific Northwest builder, for nothing different about a uke beside a "master grade" myrtle--a tree common to many backyards; and front yards, too, for that matter--but with figuring that looks like a melting chocolate bar, or an unshaven prom queen, or a hound dog's loose face! Doh! :p

Second bottom line: If people want different sounding ukes, there is one sure-fire, indisputable way to get it, yet players are inexplicably loathe to do it, for the most part. What is it? Tune them differently.:eek:

Last edited:
Because I have a spruce tree in my backyard but I must fly to Hawaii to see a Koa tree.
:D
I know where you're coming from, Fred, and I agree with you. I've been on UU long enough to have seen at least three other well-conducted blind sound tests (PDX Ukes vintage versus new Martin sound test, MGMs ten different string test, and HMS Andrew's blinded uke test with Corey playing blurred out instrument brands on a video). The upshot each time: people cannot tell the difference between even what they think are the most glaringly "different" sounding instruments. A Koaloha, for instance. Unique, right? No one could pick it out with any scientifically-significant numbers. It was picked versus other instruments, from Kamakas to Kalas, statistically, no more than pure chance!

Bottom line: We hear with our eyes. The instruments with the fanciest woods and custom inlays sound the best to us when, in reality, they all sound the same. Not "about the same", but "the same". The eyes are the reason why, for instance, normal, sane, working people with regular incomes and electric bills--the ones who shop around for the gasoline station charging one-cent less per gallon-- are willing to pay three to five hundred bucks extra, to a well-known Pacific Northwest builder, for nothing different about a uke beside a "master grade" myrtle--a tree common to many backyards; and front yards, too, for that matter--but with figuring that looks like a melting chocolate bar, or an unshaven prom queen, or a hound dog's loose face! Doh! :p

Second bottom line: If people want different sounding ukes, there is one sure-fire, indisputable way to get it, yet players are inexplicably loathe to do it, for the most part. What is it? Tune them differently.:eek:

I love him too Eugene but..............dude needs some sleep. Maybe that is why he can dish out the thoughtful answers, sleep deprivation.
CK1 there is another way for my ukes to sound different, have Corey play them. I have come to the realization that he can make a $150 uke sound like a $1500 uke. I on the other hand can make a $1500 uke sound like a $1.50 uke.

I too find that there's most of the shortcomings of my sound are to be found in my fingers than in my 'uke.

Doesn't stop me from wanting one

Wow, what a beautiful interpretation you did of this wonderful song, Keith. One of the best I've heard!

Ran the output signal through my Rigol Spectrum Analyzer and measured the amplitude which is plotted on the y-axis and the frequencies on the x-axis. From the spectrum analysis dominant frequency, the power, distortion, harmonics, and bandwidth of the signal can be measured to show that the first ukulele is the one with the Koa top. That is all.

:)

Ran the output signal through my Rigol Spectrum Analyzer and measured the amplitude which is plotted on the y-axis and the frequencies on the x-axis. From the spectrum analysis dominant frequency, the power, distortion, harmonics, and bandwidth of the signal can be measured to show that the first ukulele is the one with the Koa top. That is all.

Wonderful! Now tell Keith where to send your prize. He's tried of that koa uke now anyway.

BTW Keith, you need to cut a CD. Or an EP at least.

Um, did you see the other thread where it was revealed (by OP) that said you're wrong? I'm guessing not. :p (I guessed right by the way. :) )

Top Bottom