Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever Name Your Ukulele?

Default Ever Name Your Ukulele?

Ive heard of musicians giving names to their instruments before,but what kind of nicknames do you have for your ukes? Im waiting for some life expirience to give me some inspiration.

My Blackbear macadamia/mango 'uke is named Duane after the luthier who built it. The rest are anonymous.
    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.” ― Catherine Aird

My Scott Wise ukulele's are made of Tasmanian Blackwood
    The Baritone is "The Devil"
    The Tenor is "The Lil' Devil"

Yeah I have Koaloha, Moore Bettah, Howlett, KPK and Stagg. Ussually with 'The' in front.

Well I guess I didnt really give them names, but they came with them and they seemed to work for me.

I have a spalted maple Ibanez ukulele (this guy... it's lighter in person) that I've taken to calling "Blondie". I call my Makala Dolphin "the beater" and my Pono MCD, I just call "my Pono". Didn't think I'd be the type to name my instruments but they came naturally.

Kerrville, TX - Heart of the Fabulous Texas Hill Country

Odd. I'm a guy who does name inanimate objects. My car has a name, my scooter has a name. But I never even considered naming my musical instruments. I think it's because when I'm playing them, they seem more like an extension of me than they do like a personality of their own. And besides, I have so many of them that naming them would become rather confusing.
    "The sole cause of all human misery is the inability of people
    to sit quietly in their rooms." - Blaise Pascal, 1670

Nope. Haven't named any of my ukes. My main clarinet has a name. My dad named every car we ever had Betsy, so every car I've ever had has been called Betsy. I do not know why.
    Click a photo for information!

Kinda like a dog with no legs. No sense naming it because it will not come when you call it

But I have named a few of my ukes anyways, if something right just jumps up and it sticks. I wonder if the others without names feel less loved
    Last edited by DownUpDave; 09-23-2014 at 01:07 PM.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields walnut pineapple super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

I have a Makala Dolphin and a Luna Tattoo. A couple of days after buying the Dolphin, I was doing something or other and suddenly had a few moments to spare. So I thought to myself "Guess I'll grab Betsy here and do some strums."

And then I thought to myself "'Betsy?' Where the heck did *that* come from?"

So, I guess my Dolphin's name is Betsy, and although I named it\her, it didn't quite feel that way. I've had pianos, electric organs, guitars, a banjo, an 88 key weighted MIDI keyboard, a harmonica, and a mouth harp, and none of them have ever had names.

The Luna also remains nameless. I simply don't ordinarily name inanimate objects. Betsy may beg to differ, however.
    Last edited by RiotNrrd; 09-23-2014 at 01:41 PM.

I have referred to my ukes with words that can't be repeated here on the forum but that was more because of my lack of playing ability

Thread Information