#3 Tenor Complete

ericchico

Reaction score
So here are pics of my 3rd Uke built using the Hana Lima Ia instruction manual. I did a couple of things different on this one which made the build easier with less anxiety. I want to thanks all the Luthiers here that share their knowledge, you guys are so helpful. My wife has been Ill the last few days so excuse my attempt at taking photos. This Uke is for a friends husband and they are picking it up tomorrow so I had to make do with my camera.
The Uke is African Mahogany top, back and sides. Sapele neck. African Ebony fretboard. Abalone rosette and markers. Walnut bridge blackened. The headstock is some Olive Ash veneer and Wenge inlay. Finished with Tru Oil. Its plain and simple but plays very nice. I'm very happy with it and not looking forward to giving it up. I have no good recording devices for a sound sample.
IMG_5656.jpg
IMG_5657.jpg
IMG_5661.jpg
IMG_5662.jpg
IMG_5668.jpg

I am impressed. Do you have a woodworking background? You didn't just jump into making ukes like this one without some background or maybe you did?

Gorgeous, you did a great job. I'd be proud to take it anywhere.

Thanks guys. I did stick with the Spanish Heel on this build and will use it for the next 2 Im currently working on. While I am working on those I am studying ways to do a bolt on. I would like to do binding and perfling in the future but for now Im concentrating on getting the uke built cleanly and making it playable. For me getting finished and playing it with no buzz, good intonation and a nice tone is such a rewarding feeling.

Oh and Doug, I do have years of woodworking as a hobby and being raised around people who build things. I have some understanding of tools and wood and I put alot of time studying videos, reading and asking what some might feel are stupid questions for assurance.

Oh and Doug, I do have years of woodworking as a hobby and being raised around people who build things. I have some understanding of tools and wood and I put alot of time studying videos, reading and asking what some might feel are stupid questions for assurance.
It shows that you have a background. My parents passed on skills to us kids, unfortunately fine woodworking was not one of them so I will continue to play ukuleles and admire the skill of others who make them.

Playboy used a similar "recording" method to display beauties! She sure looks gud! :drool:
Thank You for the drool! The Uke was picked up last week so I never got around to recording it. I tried on my laptop but did not like the quality. I did get to play it and break in the strings for a week, so that was a plus.

What wood is that because I love it.
Great uke

I purchased it from CurlyKoa.com, Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct, it is African Mahogany. The two sets I got from them had the lovely blonde stripe.

Top Bottom