Strings for a concert uke.

violinvic

Reaction score
I am brand new to ukulele. I have been playing guitar and mandolin for many years and have always used D'Addario strings exclusively on all of my instruments. I want to put new strings on a concert and would appreciate a consensus on a good GCEA set. Thanx, Vic.

More info on your concert (woods, brand, tonal characteristics) would be appreciated, as that would allow many of us to give you a more detailed suggestion. Otherwise, everyone is going to chime in with whatever set they like, which may or may not fit your needs.

Agree.............more info please
More info on your concert (woods, brand, tonal characteristics) would be appreciated, as that would allow many of us to give you a more detailed suggestion. Otherwise, everyone is going to chime in with whatever set they like, which may or may not fit your needs.

Howdy. You need to order strings and try. Savarez, SouthCoast with a wound C, Living Waters, Oasis all are "good". All work well. You have to find what feels good to you and sounds good to your ears. I will tell you that a wound C does wonders on a concert to gets rid of that thuddy 3rd string which on most concerts you will find between the 4-8th fret. Using a wound C will give you better sustain for that particular scale instrument but only Southcoast has those sets with the wound C which were really designed for that scale.

You can see the test I did on my Youtube channel with the wound C set v standard all fluorocarbon set.
Either way it is what you like that's most important. Have fun with it and good luck.

Depends on the concert, as others have said. That being said, uke strings are a "specialty" and the better strings are carefully selected to perform at short, ukulele scale lengths with different diameter strings for sopranos vs concert (sometimes the same), tenor, etc.. Southoast Ukulele's String Guide will help you understand this. On a practical level, strings run from very "bright to very "mellow" depending on how you want your uke to sound. On my concerts, I have Ko'olau Alohis on my Pono mahogany, Aquilas on my KPK Acacia and Kala Reso, Southcoasts on my Mele 6 string concert, and a few concert scale sopranos soon to have ????

Good luck.

Top Bottom