Thread: NUD, but not for me. (Mainland Mike, you owe me! :)

Default NUD, but not for me. (Mainland Mike, you owe me! :)

So as part of my job, I give presentations to other pastors on the topic of ministerial health. (The rate of depression among ministers in Protestant churches is well above the national average for the general public.)

At my last presentation a couple weeks ago I brought up the idea that learning to play a musical instrument is a good way to relieve stress and do something fun outside of "work." I had my Mainland Mahogany Tenor with me and mentioned learning to play the uke as an example from my own life. One of the ministers there is a former Lebanese terrorist who is now a Christian minister. He was quite taken with my ukulele and asked me many questions about it. Today, he told me he just got his Mainland Spruce Tenor and is very happy with it! He wants to use it to play Arabic songs in his community.

How cool is that! The ukulele crosses all boundaries!
    1980 Kamaka Soprano
    2013 Mainland Mahogany Glossy Tenor
    Mainland Gecko
    Ohana TK22 Spruce Top Tenor
    Mango Fluke Concert
    2014 Mainland Mahogany Glossy Concert

That's awesome, hope to see you both at the Milwaukee Uke fest in November!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/hoosierhiver

UWC: no shirt, no shoes, no problem..

Ukes questions should be emailed to mike@mainlandukes.com

I know Gary Yoshida.

Yes, this.

Deciding to play the ukulele has been a turning point in this preacher's depression.
    Why me?
    "Some people see the hand of God in their lives, some only the finger."
    - Evan Eisenberg, Atlantic Monthly, July/August 2006, p. 151.

14:29044

That is really cool. Whenever I have my ukulele with me, I just place it in people's hands and talk to them about how fun it is, how easy it is to get started, and how it is better than any blood pressure medication out there. It is definitely a mood lifter and stress reliever.
    Click a photo for information!

Nice story. It's always comfortable to remember that my uke doesn't judge me.

Mine does. It hates hubris, and moves the frets and strings on me when I get too confident. It must have been a Calvinist in its last incarnation.

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    So as part of my job, I give presentations to other pastors on the topic of ministerial health. (The rate of depression among ministers in Protestant churches is well above the national average for the general public.)

At my last presentation a couple weeks ago I brought up the idea that learning to play a musical instrument is a good way to relieve stress and do something fun outside of "work." I had my Mainland Mahogany Tenor with me and mentioned learning to play the uke as an example from my own life. One of the ministers there is a former Lebanese terrorist who is now a Christian minister. He was quite taken with my ukulele and asked me many questions about it. Today, he told me he just got his Mainland Spruce Tenor and is very happy with it! He wants to use it to play Arabic songs in his community.

How cool is that! The ukulele crosses all boundaries!
    Wow, cool....
    I'm a former Lesbian terrorist, who is now a nurse/business owner/ukulele player. Hospice nurses get WAY depressed sometimes, so we have a lot in common!
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Thread Information