B7 to Em

ok, my bad on that one,...that's a song. sammy k. not sure i left my brain on that one.
the song is moving on by paramore.
OK, that progression is in "Third Rate Romance", and it took me a while to get it nailed down. Keep working at it. I just went from the barred B7 to the Em and back again a gazillion times one afternoon, and actually I didn't feel like I made much progress at the time, but the next time I played it, everything went a lot smoother.

there is some brilliance i see in that efficiency. and have been attempting to incorporate into learning but, worried i'm memorizing comfortable shapes instead of proper ones.
I find I have similar concerns about learning bad habits. Very difficult to unlearn them. I have issues that make certain fingering patterns troublesome. I having been trying this tack. I find several different fingerings for various chords and then use the easiest fingering pattern that works for a given song. Each song gets its own approach. I work on maybe a half a dozen songs at any given time. I mix up the order I practice the songs so I don't use the same patterns on consecutive songs. I also consciously keep in mind the "proper" way to make a given chord. After a while I try the song with the proper fingering and find i'm making progress. It can take a long time to get work-up your repertoire this way though.

I like to own a chord, so using the dreaded E as an example, I learned to play the E. I made it mine. I can play the dreaded E. But after I learn a chord, I would rather learn all the different ways to play that chord, than to learn some obscure chord that I'm never going to use. I play the D a couple of different ways in the same song. It adds a flavor. And it seem that once you master a chord, learning the different fingerings for that chord is way easier than it was to learn it in the first place. It is like your confidence grows.

I find I have similar concerns about learning bad habits. Very difficult to unlearn them. I have issues that make certain fingering patterns troublesome. I having been trying this tack. I find several different fingerings for various chords and then use the easiest fingering pattern that works for a given song. Each song gets its own approach. I work on maybe a half a dozen songs at any given time. I mix up the order I practice the songs so I don't use the same patterns on consecutive songs. I also consciously keep in mind the "proper" way to make a given chord. After a while I try the song with the proper fingering and find i'm making progress. It can take a long time to get work-up your repertoire this way though.

i try to work on a few songs also, but i break them up into 3or 4 parts then try to put them together. i have a chord dictionary and know there are some proper fingerings but on occasion i do whatever works to make the switch so i can hear what the progression is supposed to sound like being played.

I like to own a chord, so using the dreaded E as an example, I learned to play the E. I made it mine. I can play the dreaded E. But after I learn a chord, I would rather learn all the different ways to play that chord, than to learn some obscure chord that I'm never going to use. I play the D a couple of different ways in the same song. It adds a flavor. And it seem that once you master a chord, learning the different fingerings for that chord is way easier than it was to learn it in the first place. It is like your confidence grows.

confidence is what i'm lacking. i know i should not expect to be able to play 'my guitar gently weeps' 2 months after picking up the ukulele, but do want to nail a song i like and that is not mary had a little lamb, or simple 2chord songs. as for owning chords, yes. Yes. As my chord shape knowledge increases, and my understanding of root notes gets better, i should see the improvements i want to see for confidence sake. i know the boring stuff helps, and i do it...worms, spider crawl, c2c/scale, strums and some chord changes. Yes, own dem chords!

Aha! You need a strap.
i have one. two actually, but find them(hole hooks) to be a bit awkward.
My reaction exactly! "Hole hooks" seem like they should work, but I never feel confident using them, being afraid that if my grip slips the hook will tear a lump out of the sound-hole ... which rather defeats the object of the exercise! This young lady http://youtu.be/AuFD4IKz6bk has a cheap servicable alternative if you don't want to fit a strap-button ;)

YMMV but enjoy the journey :)

Sometimes I think that people get a little overbearing when they start saying that if all you want to do is three chord songs, then that is great, but if you want to get better, you gotta........... You know, if you learn to play just one more chord, you are playing four chord songs, and when you get right down to it, all you have to know is ten chords to play a ten chord song. So going beyond a two or three chord song does not make one a virtuoso. That said, I play a lot of songs with more than three chords, but one of my favorites has only two. As far as confidence, what is there to not be confident about? You are learning to play a ukulele. Sure it takes a little work, but what the heck, it is just a ukulele. You can learn to play it. Don't take it so seriously. One last thing, then I'll shut up. Whenever I practice, I end my session by playing the song that I play best. And I sing along with it. That reminds me why I'm playing the ukulele in the first place, and I always end up on a positive note.

My reaction exactly! "Hole hooks" seem like they should work, but I never feel confident using them, being afraid that if my grip slips the hook will tear a lump out of the sound-hole ... which rather defeats the object of the exercise! This young lady http://youtu.be/AuFD4IKz6bk has a cheap servicable alternative if you don't want to fit a strap-button ;)

YMMV but enjoy the journey :)

i have seen similar setups and she has a wonderful voice too.

Sometimes I think that people get a little overbearing when they start saying that if all you want to do is three chord songs, then that is great, but if you want to get better, you gotta........... You know, if you learn to play just one more chord, you are playing four chord songs, and when you get right down to it, all you have to know is ten chords to play a ten chord song. So going beyond a two or three chord song does not make one a virtuoso. That said, I play a lot of songs with more than three chords, but one of my favorites has only two. As far as confidence, what is there to not be confident about? You are learning to play a ukulele. Sure it takes a little work, but what the heck, it is just a ukulele. You can learn to play it. Don't take it so seriously. One last thing, then I'll shut up. Whenever I practice, I end my session by playing the song that I play best. And I sing along with it. That reminds me why I'm playing the ukulele in the first place, and I always end up on a positive note.

roger that.
as far as confidence is...i like to do things properly and well. i will drill, build vocab, understand theory and have fun above all.
thanks for all the contributions folks.

Um...

Make a G chord.

Now extend your pinky out to fret the C string without moving any other fingers. You have an Em.

Simply move the modified G/Em chord you just made to cover the G, C and E strings. You now have a B7 based on the same form you used to modify the Em.

If you practice this modified Em/B7 chord shape until you can hit it every time then you can move through any combination of Em, B7, and G effortlessly.

I can play the barre B7 or the "moved" Em but there's no way in hell I can reach the C string with my little finger for any chord. Sux.

i have been practiing that G, B7, Em and notice it's less frustrating and i'm getting more accurate. I'm learning both ways of the B7; barred and 'B' shape.
Thank you for your suggestions, katy, ubulele, jim, PtD, and anyone else i missed.....props.

Aaron

Try playing Em7 (0202) instead of Em. It works in the vast majority of situations, and is SO much easier to play. And I find the barred B7 (2322) much easier to play than the fingering you were using.

Sometimes I practice a change over and over slowly till I'm sick if it. Then do it again tomorrow Other chord changes I find easier just looking at the fret board. My fingers know where to go but can't get there unless I'm watching. I'm "pinky challenged" too Ukemunga.

Try playing Em7 (0202) instead of Em. It works in the vast majority of situations, and is SO much easier to play. And I find the barred B7 (2322) much easier to play than the fingering you were using.
i must learn both ways and into and out of both.

Sometimes I practice a change over and over slowly till I'm sick if it. Then do it again tomorrow Other chord changes I find easier just looking at the fret board. My fingers know where to go but can't get there unless I'm watching. I'm "pinky challenged" too Ukemunga.
i've been doing this. to the point where i begin to get sloppy, try another then call it quits and play/practice songs i 'know' and then hit it again in the morning.

This is always the answer.
and NEVER the answer one wants to hear.
but, no doubt, masters were not made in a moon, but many many.

Top Bottom