140th Season of the Ukulele: What's New Pussycat?

As some of you may remember, my wife and I lost our beloved cat, Dexter, to the ravages of time this past summer. The house has felt ever so empty since, that is, until this week. On Monday, we we welcomed three (!) new kittens to the neighborhood: Tink, Bess, and Samuel Beckett.

I wrote this a while ago after losing our Rosie. Just posting it here for fun, will try and do something else.

That did not make me cry, no ma'am. I've just been... cutting onions. Yeah, that's the ticket.

I completely understand. Must be a lot of cooking going on this weekend, because someone came into the room while I was making the video and cut some onions here too.

Yes, indeed. I'm sure that must have been it.

Same thing happened to Liz, apparently. And a friend who commented on it on Facebook. Though he mentioned a big waterfall between Ontario and New York. But I think onions would explain it.

Brian, I do hope we are going to see something from you this week?

I wrote this a while ago after losing our Rosie. Just posting it here for fun, will try and do something else.

Just to warn everybody ... Simon has brought some onions into the room here too. Simon, that was so great! I loved the kitty pics and video, especially the kitten on the bush and the uke-playing one. And what a sweet happy song ... so evocative of cat life.

But I did no cry at the end, no sir. It's just the lingering vapor of cut onions in the room. I'm sure that's it.

Sorry I haven't posted anything...I got up early this morning to post and ended up having to cut some onions. Then I recovered, came back and found out I had to cut more onions. Tired of cutting onions but hugs to those who delivered them - they were the sweetest onions ever. That's my story.

THIS IS NOT AN ENTRY - because it was not made for this Season. But I think the cat lovers here will enjoy it, if you don't know it already. It's my song about poor Caspar being sent down to the vet for the "nip". I always used to introduce this as "the song they left out of The Aristocats" / I can really imagine Thomas O'Malley, Scat Cat and the gang grooving along to this one. This also has a very rare Berni Kazoo solo!

PS Hope I get time for a real entry this week. Got a busy schedule ahead.

Just to warn everybody ... Simon has brought some onions into the room here too. Simon, that was so great! I loved the kitty pics and video, especially the kitten on the bush and the uke-playing one. And what a sweet happy song ... so evocative of cat life.

But I did no cry at the end, no sir. It's just the lingering vapor of cut onions in the room. I'm sure that's it.

Thanks for the comment! I might not be a brilliant musician, but it's nice to evoke an emotion (sorry, onions).

..... I'm co-organizing a workshop that will be bringing together an international group of prominent and emerging scholars to develop a cross-disciplinary research programme on internet cats! ....

Oh, now if that isn't a candidate for an IGnobel, I don't know what is :rolleyes:

But I have to admit someone had to do it. If FB & Youtube are endless suppliers of information for sociologists, then Internet cats have to form part of that! Have a great conference! :cool:

Oh, I'm gonna get into so much trouble for this one. It's new, I wrote it this morning.

Here's another for Season 140. Buck Owens' "I've Got a Tiger by the Tail" with overdubbed u-bass, lame solo, and harmony vocal in chorus:

Last edited:
Feral cats are a huge environmental problem in Australia.
They, along with foxes (and rabbits) have been responsible for the highest number of mammal extinctions of any other continent.
In a hope to reintroduce some very endangered species of birds and small mammals they completely fenced off the Peron Pennisula in WA.
They then proceded to bait and systematically trap all the feral cats and foxes that lived there. This took many years and is on going.
At the only road gate they have a system of grids and if any movement is detected the "gate" barks loudly in the hope of deterring entry by said cats and foxes.
You may have heard of this place as they have daily visits by wild dolphins (well they feed them) at Monkey Mia (on Shark Bay and on the penninsula).
(I've been there and they chose me to feed one of the dolphins.)
Here is a vid of the barking gate (not mine) - the gate is on the last 20 seconds or so.

Are there any Meowing gates?
Dogs 1 Cats 0
Oh seeing eye DOGS.
Dogs 2 Cats 0

Sorry Matty - no more from me on this subject - but I do think the efforts in WA and the barking gate were worth a mention.
BTW Cat Empire have a very catty logo and their album covers are worth checking out for their often very catty artwork.

All further posts will be in song - I have two more right?

We're off to a great start!

UkeCan1 Walking My Kitty - UkeCan1: A sweet song for a sweet friend, Wendy, and a shining example of one of the reasons we make art -- sharing a true emotional response with others. Thanks for sharing it with us, and kicking off the week. My Dexter was 18, too, when he went on to his next assignment. A good long run.

pabrizzer - On My Way - The Cat Empire: The bass sounds good on this, Brian, and is a nice foundation for the baritones uke and voice. Your playing is always so clean, and matched perfectly to your gravelly voice. Just listened to the original, too... I love your stripped down version, though I could have used a little mouth trumpet ;)

BirdsEyeViewOfMyUke - Cool For Cats - Squeeze: Real nice, Lynda. Jumping into the head voice in the chorus is sweet, and the driving strum on that plinky little soprano is just the right accompaniment. I wasn't familiar with this song, as Squeeze were never as well known here as over there. We really only heard Tempted and pulling mussels from a shell... I really like this one.

xommen - An Cat Dubh - U2: Nice strum, Wim! ANd it's well balanced against the fingerpicked parts. Pulling us into the way-back machine for this U2 tune. I like the video effect you're working here, as well.

UkeCan1 - Love To Eat Them Mousies - Kliban/Trad.: Awesome. Love it. It doesn't even need to be a round for me -- I like it just as a little catch.

weegingayin - Guide Cats For The Blind - Barker/Wee: Wow, I loved this. Fantastic little tune to set those words to. I wasn't familiar with the poem before, so I'm so glad you decided to do this. And I love the style with which you played it. Speeding up a tiny bit with each verse is fantastic. Of course, you always have style in spades...

UkeFoote - Walking My Cat Named Dog - Norma Tanega: Fantastic, Brian. Sweet song, beautifully played. You're so smooth with that picking, and your vocals are like velvet. One thing -- I think you're recording in mono, because listening with headphones, I'm only getting the left channel... you might look into your settings so that you get stereo output. Other than that tiny technical thing -- great!

Ukuleites - Stray Cat Strut - Stray Cats: It. Is. On! Loved this from beginning to end. The intro, the bass solo, the snapping, Steffan's backup vocal, but Miri - your vocal after the solo was on fire. I knew we would get this song -- I'm so glad you guys brought it to the party!

Harry122 - I Really Don't Like Cats - Randy McSorley: I have to say, I assumed we'd get a song or two like this this week. A lot of people share your view -- take solace in that. Plus, you have a great little song here, misguided as it may be ;). Seriously, it's a fun rhyming exercise, and the bridge is really lovely. Well done.

UkeFoote - I've Got A Tiger By The Tail - Buck Owens: Another strong one, here, Brian. The harmony sounds great, and the play is smooth -- lead, rhythm, and bass. Your lead vocal is real nice too. Well done.

View attachment 71982

Oh noes! Of all the seasons for me to miss!

I'm in the Detroit airport right now, en route to a conference in South Korea, at which, among other things, I'm co-organizing a workshop that will be bringing together an international group of prominent and emerging scholars to develop a cross-disciplinary research programme on internet cats! (details here, if anyone wants them.)

I'll be gone all week, so boo! Oh well.

Amazing. Serendipity. There is a lot of time spent with Internet cats in my house. But you didn't bring a uke to Korea? Oh, noes, indeed.

Wow...

I think this might be the season where I finally throw my hat into the ring.

Assuming nobody minds me taking the Tiger Rag, that is...

Please do. Even if someone else does it, duplicates are welcome.

Feral cats are a huge environmental problem in Australia.
They, along with foxes (and rabbits) have been responsible for the highest number of mammal extinctions of any other continent.

Dogs 1 Cats 0
Oh seeing eye DOGS.
Dogs 2 Cats 0

Sorry Matty - no more from me on this subject - but I do think the efforts in WA and the barking gate were worth a mention.
BTW Cat Empire have a very catty logo and their album covers are worth checking out for their often very catty artwork.

All further posts will be in song - I have two more right?

I'm well aware of the dangers domestic cats pose to a fragile ecosystem. My cats live indoors and never venture outside. As I said to Randy, too, I also know that there are plenty of folks out there who have visceral reactions against cats. I feel their lives are somewhat sadder as a result, but I don't criticize.

But so, yes, you get two more -- and you should let me know which one is the keeper.

Amazing theme, Matt. I think it would've been crazy for your wife and you to not get those kittens.

Here's a video Jessica made a couple years ago of my fuzzy brother, Dale, and me to help kick off this Season.

Bummer :mad:

I got my Risa solid uke out today and was trying out some effects when my Vox effects unit packed in. It started playing up and I thought the batteries were going so I changed them. When I tried to switch it on, nothing. I checked I had polarities right (I had) and then tried two more sets of batteries. Still nothing. No sign of life at all. So, instead of making a seasons video, I spent the evening looking up effects units and watching You Tube reviews and I've ordered a new one - different brand but it looks like it'll be a while before it arrives. I have another unit but it's not as good as the Vox though at least it's working or I do have some single effect pedals which could do the job. I like the multi effects units, though as you can set up a sound then save it for future use.

Bummer :mad:

I got my Risa solid uke out today and was trying out some effects when my Vox effects unit packed in. It started playing up and I thought the batteries were going so I changed them. When I tried to switch it on, nothing. I checked I had polarities right (I had) and then tried two more sets of batteries. Still nothing. No sign of life at all. So, instead of making a seasons video, I spent the evening looking up effects units and watching You Tube reviews and I've ordered a new one - different brand but it looks like it'll be a while before it arrives. I have another unit but it's not as good as the Vox though at least it's working or I do have some single effect pedals which could do the job. I like the multi effects units, though as you can set up a sound then save it for future use.

Do you have the manual? Does it mention an internal fuse? If it's the ToneLab EX, has the valve (12AX7) gone? In any case, see if you can't get the cover off, and have a look-see - or find a man who can? Good luck :)

Dogs 1 Cats 0
Oh seeing eye DOGS.
Dogs 2 Cats 0

Clearly you have not yet seen Rob's "Guide Cats for the Blind". :)

I've lived in Australia ... much of that time in the desert where the ferals were a major problem. (You left out camels and cane toads.) So I've seen the destruction they could wreak.

I never got a cat there as a pet ... I love them, but loose pets destroying the environment is a serious problem there. I did end up with a cat for a while ... a stray I took in and got "off the streets" and into a home. He lived a good long happy life with a friend after I left.

My two cats here (the one I wrote the song about, and her sister who's mentioned in the song) were feral kittens I rescued and tamed.

It's a tough thing, it seemed to me, for an Aussie cat lover to reconcile those two conflicting interests. Of course we are all responsible cat owners and keep our pets indoors ... but there's always a danger, and there are still way too many getting out in one way or another and going feral. It's an issue here, but a much smaller one. Cats are terrific pets, those of us who love them love them ... and ....

Last edited:
Top Bottom