How to retune:
G string is decreased by three semitone
C string is decreased by three semitone
E string is decreased by two semitones
A string is unchanged

A few basic chords.Chords.JPG

And also youtube demonstration.

Why to deal with this tuning:
1. It is universal same as standard tuning g-c-e-a and it is possible to play in all keys.
2. This tuning is suitable for singers with lower voice. In standard tuning you can play easily in C, F and G major. In e-a-d-a tuning you can play well in A, D and E major.
3. This tuning has a new chord voicing than usual. Thus all chords will sound new and cool.
4. Some chord progressions can be touched on ukulele very easily what is advantage mainly for songwriters in writing new songs.
5. Scales in which you can play well (A, D and E major and G and C major partially) are "Guitar friendly". So you can play with guitarists very well.

Thank you for sharing Ondrej. I will try it.

Hello Ondrej, I will try out the EADA tuning on my banjolele. It should work very well on old time fiddle tunes. I'm a little skeptical of the rational that this tuning makes the uke more guitar friendly. When playing in jam sessiuns my experience is that generally the players will play D tunes then A tunes, Banjos Retune. Play G Tunes etc. To retune the uke is more involved the retuning the banjo on these occasions. When playing in a song circle It gets more hairy because the singer calls the key every song. I use a capo in these instances leaving my instrument in its customary tuning.

Hello Ondrej, I will try out the EADA tuning on my banjolele. It should work very well on old time fiddle tunes. I'm a little skeptical of the rational that this tuning makes the uke more guitar friendly. When playing in jam sessiuns my experience is that generally the players will play D tunes then A tunes, Banjos Retune. Play G Tunes etc. To retune the uke is more involved the retuning the banjo on these occasions. When playing in a song circle It gets more hairy because the singer calls the key every song. I use a capo in these instances leaving my instrument in its customary tuning.

Hello, IamNoMan. Thank you for your feedback. By the term "guitar friendly" I meant that chords "A, D, E7" are held more easily than in standart tuning.
But with the use of a capo on jam sessions you are right.

It's good to see folk willing to experiment with tuning. Musical experimentation is what has led to modifying and inventing different instruments (the ukulele and its derivatives are not that old), as well as taking existing instruments and making them more versatile. Thanks for the info!

It's good to see folk willing to experiment with tuning. Musical experimentation is what has led to modifying and inventing different instruments (the ukulele and its derivatives are not that old), as well as taking existing instruments and making them more versatile. Thanks for the info!

Thank you for your feedback.
Experimenting with the tuning for me is very inspiring.

Have you experimented with different string gauges that might be appropriate for use with this tuning?

Not yet experiment. Trying to be based on a standard set of strings.
But I believe that for this tuning by a calibrated strings were better.

Sounds nice, thanks for posting about it.

Top Bottom