Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ukulele-related dreams/goals?

Default Ukulele-related dreams/goals?

I was wondering, how many of you have ukulele related dreams or goals?

For example, do you have a skill level you want to get to or maybe a ukulele you have been working towards?

I haven't been playing ukulele for too long yet, but I recently decided that when I finish law school, I'll fly to Hawaii (which is on the other side of the world), go to HMS and try every ukulele they have and buy the one I like the most. I expect I'll be spending at least a couple of days in the store!

I'd love to hear some of your goals/dreams!

Mostly just my ability to play.

I can strum along to most things right now, but I want more than that. I want to be able to move further down the fret, I want to be able to fingerpick, and well, maybe even be able to sing along, that one might be tough.

No desire to be any sort of professional musician, just play stuff I like, and maybe even write a few songs (I've done a few guitar and one uke song... they're pretty awful).

Hey g'est I really like your goal about spending two full days inside HMS. I am going to steal that one for myself.........

My goals have been playing related coupled with buying certain ukes when I hit these playing goals. In 6 months of playing I have come much farther than I expected but I do practice and play alot. I have 14 songs memorized that I can sing and play by heart. A present goal is finger picking and I am working on two of those songs in finger picking style. I will be starting lessons, I have it narrowed down to one of two teachers, both of whom I like. I would like to perform more in public, have done that twice already.

As I have hit certain playing levels I have purchased specific ukues that are on my dream list. I have a custom on order which won't be ready till Dec 2015 that will force me to really strengthen my skills to feel like I deserve to own it. That is a good way to keep me practicing and improving as oppossed to spending too much time HERE which I already do But hey all of this here keeps the passion and excitement burning too.
    Last edited by DownUpDave; 10-28-2014 at 12:41 AM.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    My goals have been playing related coupled with buying certain ukes when I hit these playing goals. In 6 months of playing I have come much farther than I expected but I do practice and play alot. I have 14 songs memorized that I can sing and play by heart. A present goal is finger picking and I am working on two of those songs in finger picking style.

As I have hit certain playing levels I have purchased specific ukues that are on my dream list. I have a custom on order which won't be ready till Dec 2015 that will force me to really strengthen my skills to feel like I deserve to own it. That is a good way to keep me practicing and improving as oppossed to spending too much time HERE which I already do But hey all of this here keeps the passion and excitement burning too.
    Cool! What's your favorite of the songs you've learned so far? I'm always looking for new song ideas.

Also, which custom are you getting?

To get as many people as possible to play a Ukulele. Get one, play one, do it now. Don't die with the music in you. Come to a Strumfest, join a group, just do it, do it, do it. If you need help just ask anybody here. Let's call it the Uke rebellion. We can talk about it here, the other U does stand for Underground, right? Sssssshhhh.
    Last edited by KaraUkey; 10-28-2014 at 01:34 AM.
    http://www.karaukey.com - Ukulele Karaoke - Ukulele Backing Tracks - Strum Class
    http://www.meetup.com/ukulelians - Gold Coast and Hinterland Ukulele Group

I have a goal of writing, recording, and producing enough uke-based songs to release an album on Bandcamp - hopefully in 2015.
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - Bb, SC SMU
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    KPK pineapple SLN-GCEA
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, C Lava
    Flea soprano, C LW
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Kala KA-GL-Koa, G EFS, O Warm/Worth B

Jim's Blog

Step 1: Win the lottery

I'll figure out the details after that . . .
    Concert: Lanikai LU-21C (Aquila Nygut)
    Soprano: Kala KA-PWS (Southcoast Machete)
    Baritone: Kala KA-SBG (C: Southcoast LL-NW, A: TBD)
    Tenor: Kala ATP-CTG Aquila Nygut

Quote Originally Posted by g'est View Post
    Cool! What's your favorite of the songs you've learned so far? I'm always looking for new song ideas.

Also, which custom are you getting?
    I am 57 years old so my song choice has been classic rock type songs. I do have a soft spot for The Beatles and my favourite song at the present is "When I'm 64". Being Canadian I love Neil Young and Gordon Lightfoot so I will be looking at learning some of their songs, hence the need for finger picking. I do love the oldies as well, Five foot Two, Singing in the Rain, Baby Face etc., etc. Just sounds so good on a uke

One of the best sites for songs is "Dr. Uke", contains over 1500 songs. Each one has an audio track of him singing and playing, fully printable song sheets with chords AND a version with chord diagrams. A number of these songs have the baritone version as well.
    Last edited by DownUpDave; 10-28-2014 at 01:36 AM.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hanks View Post
    I have a goal of writing, recording, and producing enough uke-based songs to release an album on Bandcamp - hopefully in 2015.
    Sounds like a great goal. How do you define uke-based?
    http://www.karaukey.com - Ukulele Karaoke - Ukulele Backing Tracks - Strum Class
    http://www.meetup.com/ukulelians - Gold Coast and Hinterland Ukulele Group

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    One of the best site for songs is "Dr. Uke", contains over 1500 songs. Each one has an audio track of him singing and play, fully printable song sheets with chords AND a version with chord diagrams.
    Thanks, that's great!

And speaking of classic rock, how good is that:

Thread Information