Moore Bettah Case

How about a tenor uke? Will some airlines make you check those in too? Internationally I have been able to carry my tenor onboard, but not sure on the shorter flights on smaller planes, if people ran into problems and were forced to check in.

The RFID chip comes on the Calton, but you have to pay to activate it. I didn't because I figured a thief could always sell the uke or take it out of the case. But if I could get Chuck to embed one, I would absolutely do that. Is it something that you think could be added on post-build?

A chip can easily be installed at anytime. It can be epoxied in an inconspicuous area or even drilled into the neck block and hidden.

When I am not playing it, my MB is now resting comfortably in a new Crossrock case that fits it perfectly. I bought it from Andrew and the service was great.

Mitch

I am not sure I get the chip thing in the uke. Well I guess more specifically with a uke that is so unique like any MB. Most of the ukes I see Chuck building now have some sort of inlay that is specific to that uke. I dont see every uke he is building lately. Since you need to scan the chip for the info that would mean you or someone would have to have it in your hands. I doubt a pawn shop or second hand buyer is going to scan for a chip in an instrument. Whouldn't you be able to prove it was yours and stolen without scaning a chip? Even my Not so Basic uke is unique to any othe MB i have seen.

Can someone help me understand how this is an extra level of protection?

OP, I use the case Chuck sent mine in. I really have not found any markings of a maker/brand. It is a hardshell black case with a green velvetish lining. I did aquire my MB in 2009, so I am sure Chuck has used several different cases through the years.

I am not sure I get the chip thing in the uke. Well I guess more specifically with a uke that is so unique like any MB. Most of the ukes I see Chuck building now have some sort of inlay that is specific to that uke. I dont see every uke he is building lately. Since you need to scan the chip for the info that would mean you or someone would have to have it in your hands. I doubt a pawn shop or second hand buyer is going to scan for a chip in an instrument. Whouldn't you be able to prove it was yours and stolen without scaning a chip? Even my Not so Basic uke is unique to any othe MB i have seen.

Can someone help me understand how this is an extra level of protection?

OP, I use the case Chuck sent mine in. I really have not found any markings of a maker/brand. It is a hardshell black case with a green velvetish lining. I did aquire my MB in 2009, so I am sure Chuck has used several different cases through the years.

A GPS would be better but the smallest I could find was the size of four quarters, cost $300 and had a battery that lasted three years. For $16 (on Amazon), I ordered a Snagg RFID that is as small as a grain of rice. I would not bother shipping my uke to Chuck to install it but I would drive to him if I am in Hilo, or would have had him install it during the build if I thought about it.

Plus, I have similar microchips implanted in my cats. Again GPS would be better but the microchip is better than nothing.

Take what they say with a grain of salt (or in this case, rice) but this is Snagg's statement.

"When your prized possession is missing, every minute counts! In order to maximize recovery chances in case of theft or loss, SNAGG has developed a simple and efficient recovery process. The SNAGG recovery rate of 35% is the highest in the industry and has caught the attention of insurance companies offering discounts for SNAGG-equipped assets.

Recovery Process:

1.The owner of an item protected by a SNAGG microchip files a police report and an officer and case number are assigned.

2.The owner notifies SNAGG and forwards the police report information.

3.SNAGG releases a complete file on the asset including photos (if provided by owner) to pawnshop associations, all second-hand recovery officers in every major city in the U.S. as well as posting a loss or theft alert on SNAGG.com.

4.When a suspected instrument is located, the police contacts SNAGG and SNAGG immediately sends a scanner (usually via overnight mail) to legally identify the item. RFID identification technology is recognized as unalterable proof of ownership by the U.S. legal system and law enforcement agencies.

5.After ownership is verified, the item is then returned to the legal owner. Court appearance and costly travel are not required to release the asset.

Recovery Facts:

1.Recovery rates of assets not protected by SNAGG are reported by law enforcement at 0.03%. SNAGG statistics from our web site database show an average recovery rate greater that 35%, or almost 1,200 times more! Since law enforcement officers are overworked they welcome and appreciate the SNAGG microchip system which makes the recovery process easier. Prior to SNAGG technology – which provides specific description and photos - recovery of lost or stolen assets was virtually impossible.

2.Police reports filed without SNAGG only circulate within the city or, at best, the county of the filing. According to police associations, most stolen items wind up far from the location where theft occurred. They are are then re-sold in all impunity because there is no record of them being stolen at the location they end up being offered for sale.

3.SNAGG has a recovery rate vastly greater than any system ever devised. This fact is recognized by insurance companies across the United States and they offer discounts for items protected by SNAGG microchip technology.

4.Police second-hand recovery associations have requested speakers from SNAGG at their yearly conventions to explain the technology and recovery systems offered by the company."

Last edited:
Thanks wickedwahine. I can see the benifit somewhat now, mostly with the distibution of the information to all the cities/agencies. Other than that maybe the unalterable proof of ownership.

Hope no one ever needs to use it but I can see a sense of added protection might help some for these high end instruments.

There's another point of view:

How many folks here actually have their ukes stolen from them? As a builder, I can tell you that of the (approximately) 3,800 guitars, basses, and ukes I've built under the Turner, Renaissance, and Compass Rose names, I can only recall hearing of three being stolen.

I understand the "ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" thing, but if you take reasonable care, loss of your instruments to theft is pretty low on the list of hazards. You're far more likely to sit on, drop, scratch, drop something upon, etc. your uke than to have it stolen unless you are really careless about where you put it or you're in a very high crime area.

There's another point of view:

How many folks here actually have their ukes stolen from them? As a builder, I can tell you that of the (approximately) 3,800 guitars, basses, and ukes I've built under the Turner, Renaissance, and Compass Rose names, I can only recall hearing of three being stolen.

I understand the "ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" thing, but if you take reasonable care, loss of your instruments to theft is pretty low on the list of hazards. You're far more likely to sit on, drop, scratch, drop something upon, etc. your uke than to have it stolen unless you are really careless about where you put it or you're in a very high crime area.

I'm with you on this one. Additionally, it would have to be discovered by somebody who even thought to see if it had a chip in it. So, it won't help with recovery. Sure, it might help you prove it's yours, but so will pics and receipt.

We stamp serial numbers deep into the peghead tip of each uke we make. Someone would have to do some pretty serious and obvious damage to the uke peghead to get rid of the number, and that right there would be the tip-off that it had been stolen. We do keep a serial number log book that indicates where the uke is going as well as having a work order system with a separate unique number for each instrument as well. Unfortunately, our bookkeeping program does not allow searching by customized fields...serial number or work order number...but our hand kept log takes care of that.

Top Bottom